What's new

Best AVR for around $2000? (1 Viewer)

KentP

Auditioning
I had a Denon 4800 until it recently broke down. I am looking to replace. Figure my budget to be around $2000. What are some suggestions? It will be used mainly for home theater, but do appreciate good sound when listening to music. What are some good options.
I may be able to push the budget up to $2500.
Using Paradigm studio series for speakers.
I'll also look at used options, but prefer new.

Thanks.

Yogi

Screenwriter
For $2500 it behooves you to look at some 'separates' offerings esp. from Outlaw. The 950 prepro with the 770 amp from Outlaw would be a nice combo and would fit your bill nicely.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Shoot, I'd have the Denon fixed!!!
If not that then....
If you are out looking, ya gotta try to step into the world of separates, I don't feel there is much if any way to upgrade beyond Denon's upper line THX certified AVR's with an AVR, even the Denon 5800 series isn't that darn much of a step up really.

KentP

Auditioning
Yes, I am having the Denon 4800 diagnosed. It has been a good AVR. I haven't listened to anything in about 4 years since I bought the 4800, but I keep reading about the Yamaha and Pioneer Elite recievers. They sound like quite the upgrade from my 4800, but are they really?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Do not be fooled!!!!! I would put your 4800 up against any AVR out there.

Of course I am biased, just over two years ago I bought my 4802.... The 4800 series units are extremely impressive in all catagories of performance.

John S

Senior HTF Member
If he wants to go for any sort of major significant upgrade, he has to go separates really.

I still vote for getting the Denon 4800 fixed, on a pure price per performance basis.. lol

KentP

Auditioning
Thanks for the input. I'm leaning toward fixing the 4800 and go separates when I can really upgrade.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
I agree. The Denon AVR 4800 is quite the machine. Keep it until you can spend alot more.

JackS

Supporting Actor
I'm suprised no-one suggested a Denon 3803 or its replacement and seperate outboard amps. You enjoyed your 4800 so stay with a Denon. This cost effective solution puts you better than half way to seperates and proformance-wise at least on a par with the 5803. Not quite the connectivity options of the flagship but IMO, audio on a par or better. This is the option I would be considering with your stated available bankroll. Good luck.

Stephen M

Stunt Coordinator
Look at B&K. I had the 4800 and dropped it as soon as I got the chance to hear a B&K 307. Compared to the B&K, the 4800 sounded thin in the upper midrange, little depth and not as dynamic. The 4800 is a good receiver, but it lacks upgradability to DPL II which I believe is a significant step up on matrix sources. I also like the Pioneer Elite 49 series which you may find at a good price. It has digital equalization and sounds quite good.

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
in the $2-$2.5k range, i agree you should start looking at separates...

on the pre side, you have adcom, outlaw, rotel, and nad to look at...pretty similar on the amp side as well...

if you want to stay with a receiver,

rotel has the 1067 coming out
nad has the 773
h&k has the 7300 (has a built in scaler)
b&k has the 507

and those would be my starting points...

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks