What's new

Best alternative For apartment living (1 Viewer)

Richard_s

Second Unit
Hi ALL:

Hope "speakers" forum is the place to ask this

I have a low budget home theater sound system based on the JBL speakers and is quite good for my current house no neighbors to complain when I crank it up to theater volume. Now I am looking for advice on what others do when they live in an apartment/condo environment so I don't give up the sound just the floor shaking will not be there.

Maybe its possible to take a room and sound proof it but I expect this may not be isolatable enough in an already built apartment and also very expensive but maybe this is possible however.

Anyone used any DD5.1 capable headphones that would image well for the TV (sounds come from "right" place) and gives at least reasonable fidelity?

Are there any systems that can be located near my recliner and give me great sound that will not be silent in my apartment but would be silent to neighbors.

Any advice appreciated

Regards

Richard

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
A lot depends on the construction of the apartment. I've lived in two apartments that had concrete construction (my current is a townhouse with concrete in between units) and I've never had a complaint. I usually listen at 20-15dB below reference. If you have not chosen an apartment, I'd ask the landlord/manager what the construction is. That said, I would not plan on reference levels at all hours of the night - some sacrifice has to be made when you are sharing walls.

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
I live in an apartment (now called a condo in S. Boston) and my SVS gets no complaints. I have all my speakers calibrated to 75db and my neighbors say it never bothers them.

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit
I am also south of boston (quincy) in an apartment w/ conc construction.
I just recently made an adire 15" sub that rocks like a hurricane. I told my neighbors that if I ever disturbed them to tell me, and to come over for a movie anytime. I have yet to have a complaint.

My advice is: Talk to your neihbors first. Get off on the right foot. Because, if by some chance you do upset them, it won't be nearly as bad and wont start a fued. With a good neihborly foundation laid you can have a bit more freedom. They will cut you more slack, too.

Good luck.

Richard_s

Second Unit
Very good advice (on the neighbors)!!

Seems like concrete construction if I can find it would help.

I am quite happy with the sound at 75db so that is also a good point. I will play with my system at 65, 70, 75 that may be a good compromise so great information.

Adam/Mark:

Actually I am looking in Hull and Hingham I live in Sharon now. Giving up some sound to live near the ocean (Nantasket beach is nice)will be worth it (I hope)

Thanks again
Richard

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
I'm actually in N. Andover. I can count on my hand the amount of times I've been south of Quincy. One of the times I was trying to find a co-workers house Hingham and ended up in Hull, so I've visited both towns. I'm way more familiar w/the North Shore.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks