What's new

Benefits off adding an Amp to receiver?? (1 Viewer)

predgw

Agent
Real Name
Greg
I am currently planning to build a dedicated home theater room in my basement. As I layout the wiring diagram and floor plan I find myself thinking about futureability(you get the idea). I have an Integra DTR 7.4 receiver with def tech speakers right now.

Is there an instant payoff in sound quality by adding say an amp to my system?

Is the benefit of adding separates limited on the room size? My room will be 14' x 25'.

Finally if I do add separates some day will I need to plan for that now with extra conduits for wire or extra outlets. Thanks in advance.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There is an instant payoff if your current receiver isn't powerful enough to drive your speakers to the levels you are after.

I don't know what you mean by extra outlets? You should be running off some kind of surge suppression at the very least (not including whole home), not directly to the outlets, if that is what you are saying.

predgw

Agent
Real Name
Greg
So if my system is sounding great now, and I can't go any louder with out it being silly, then a separate amp will not make a differnce. Why do so many people have cabients full of separates then? Obviously I can see then desire to do so, 10 components stacked on top just looks kick ass, but in the end it doesn't sound like it is worth it. How would I tell if my speakers are not getting enough power, would they start to cut on high volume?

With regards to the outlet I was wondering if I would need more power(outlets) at the point where my components are keep. Right now I can see two outlets with a surge protection and then that feeding my receiver and dvd and satellite nox. With separate components would it would seem I would need more outlets.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you happened to have very demanding speakers or a large room to fill, then a separate amp makes sense. I have somewhat difficult to drive 4 Ohm speakers AND I have a large room, not to mention I like to crank it pretty loud now and then, so I use a few amps. Amps might bring out a little more detail in your system, but if you are happy with it the way it is, you probably aren't going to hear a night and day difference - the difference amps yeild is usually subtle.

I wouldn't say you'd need additional outlets exactly, but I would want to isolate the circuit on which the HT would be running from any other big draw items like a washer/dryer, fridge, flourescent light fixtures, etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks