What's new

Begone, accursed leafhoppers! (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
:f :f For the past week or so, I keep having these damn leafhoppers in my room. At least, I think that's what they are. Little black/white bugs with wings that jump more than they fly. They hang out on the wall or ceiling where light from the lamp is cast. I'll usually see one or two and kill them, and then later that day or the next, one or two more are back in their places. And they're hard to kill. They get out of the way right before I make contact. I have the most luck when they land on a surface and I can coat them with Windex. I hate these damn things. How can I get rid of them? Where are they coming from? I've got a window in the room that seems perfectly sealed. It's got two layers of glass, neither of which open. The only other open parts of the room when the doors are closed are the gap under the doors and the air conditioning vents. There's another window in the bathroom that does open, but I can't see any cracks or openings there, either. Do these things have a nest or something I could track down? I'd like to bug bomb the room, but it won't matter if they're not present when it happens. Plus, there's a little lizard that goes between my two bathrooms, and I don't want to kill him in the process. I've got to be rid of these things soon, though. :f :f

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I can kill them (and don't rest until I do), but I want to figure out how they're getting in and how to stop it. It's just crazy now. Five yesterday. One (so far) today. I'd say maybe they're outside and hitching a ride in on my clothes, but why do I only see them in the one room? Hate these things and I squash them with maniacal glee.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I'd try to find their actual name, other than "cursed leafhoppers" :) and google it. Might be able to find something that is attracting them.. colors, heat, salt in paint, any of them can be an attractant to bugs and animals... Jay

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
"Leafhopper" is actually the umbrella term for a lot of these little flying, jumping bugs. I know they're attracted to light, but I went around the room earlier and I just don't see an entry point. The window would be the best guess, but it's double-paned and sealed with silicon caulking. Some have reported these things "covering" their flatscreens, so I guess I should be just glad that I only have to track and kill about five a day. Someone said they lasted at their house for about two weeks, so I might just have to wait them out. Or, I'll probably actually just do a bug bomb tomorrow. I don't know where they are when they aren't out in the open, but that should stop them unless they're hanging around outside, waiting their turns.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I bombed shortly after taking the above picture, and I haven't seen any live ones in my room since. One in the bathroom a few days later, but that seems to be that (knock on wood). Thing is, I was cleaning out the gutters right outside this room and I saw these little beasts. Another major storm went through and I had to clean out the gutters again, but this time, it was a whole bunch of moths. Could these creatures be moths in an early stage?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks