What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Warner Bros. brings Tim Burton’s second feature, Beetlejuice, to 4K UHD Blu-ray with a new (and long overdue) new 4K transfer with Dolby Atmos audio. Unfortunately, that is all that is new in this release.

Beetlejuice (1988)

Released: 30 Mar 1988
Rated: PG
Runtime: 92 min

Director: Tim Burton
Genre: Comedy, Fantasy

Cast: Alec Baldwin, Geena Davis, Annie McEnroe, Maurice Page
Writer(s): Michael McDowell (story), Larry Wilson (story), Michael McDowell (screenplay), Warren Skaaren (screenplay)

Plot: The spirits of a deceased couple are harassed by an unbearable family that has moved into their home, and hire a malicious spirit to drive them out.

IMDB rating: 7.5
MetaScore: 70

Disc Information

Studio: Warner Brothers...

Continue reading...

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Thanks, Todd.

I am not 4K equipped, so I'll pass on this. I would have double dipped without question if WB had bothered to update the transfer or extras on the Blu-ray too.

Universal's press release for Back to the Future indicates that not only will there be new extras on that, but the Blu-ray transfers are going to be remastered. This is how you do a catalog release, and they will be rewarded with my double dip on that even though I can't use the 4K discs.

It's a shame WB could not treat this film comparably. But I'm sure people with 4K capabilities will love this.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Thanks, Todd.

I am not 4K equipped, so I'll pass on this. I would have double dipped without question if WB had bothered to update the transfer or extras on the Blu-ray too.

Universal's press release for Back to the Future indicates that not only will there be new extras on that, but the Blu-ray transfers are going to be remastered. This is how you do a catalog release, and they will be rewarded with my double dip on that even though I can't use the 4K discs.

It's a shame WB could not treat this film comparably. But I'm sure people with 4K capabilities will love this.

WB does not care about their actual films themselves, all the care about is the revenue they make from merchandising their cash cow titles such as this film.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I’m getting this for the upgraded A/V, and I’m thankful that it seems to have been done to perfection judging by the reviews, but it’s just so crazy how this film hasn’t has ANY special features besides episodes of the cartoon and the trailer. Burton has provided MANY commentaries to his films and he doesn’t seem to be busy at the moment (though he’s not the liveliest commentator TBH, bless his heart).

I cannot think of any other movie that was a hit upon release ON TOP OF remaining in the public consciousness over 30+ years and have NO special edition treatment. There are movies that failed at the box office and are more niche that get way better treatment.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
all the care about is the revenue they make from merchandising their cash cow titles such as this film.

Sure, but they're not going to get any new revenue from me on this release because they didn't bother to do a new Blu-ray. So there is money to be made if they put some effort into catalog releases.

If I had 4K setup, the 4K disc would be enough to get me to upgrade, no question. But I don't, so their decision not to remaster the Blu-ray as well cost them a potential sale. That's all I'm saying.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Sure, but they're not going to get any new revenue from me on this release because they didn't bother to do a new Blu-ray. So there is money to be made if they put some effort into catalog releases.

When I said merchandising, I meant from sales of apparel, toys and games, house wear items, and other miscellaneous stuff.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I’m getting this for the upgraded A/V, and I’m thankful that it seems to have been done to perfection judging by the reviews, but it’s just so crazy how this film hasn’t has ANY special features besides episodes of the cartoon and the trailer. Burton has provided MANY commentaries to his films and he doesn’t seem to be busy at the moment (though he’s not the liveliest commentator TBH, bless his heart).

I cannot think of any other movie that was a hit upon release ON TOP OF remaining in the public consciousness over 30+ years and have NO special edition treatment. There are movies that failed at the box office and are more niche that get way better treatment.

WB has never liked this film, as I've stated before they only keep around because they make so much money from merchandise they distribute year after year. If WB really cared about Beetlejuice, it would have as many editions as OZ and GWTW.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
WB has never liked this film, as I've stated before they only keep around because they make so much money from merchandise they distribute year after year. If WB really cared about Beetlejuice, it would have as many editions as OZ and GWTW.
Just curious, since I’m unaware of WB’s stance, why don’t they like this film?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Yeah, I see no evidence that they don't like it and have no idea what Andrew is talking about here. I think they just decided to save money by repackaging an adequate Blu-ray edition instead of putting in the extra effort to make a great one. That's not dislike. That's laziness. If they didn't like it, they wouldn't have put out the 4K either. Warner Bros. Theatrical Group just spent millions of dollars to produce a Broadway musical version which had its run cut a bit short by the pandemic. That doesn't seem like something they would do for a title they don't believe in. Everything I've heard from the show was terrible, but that's not really the point; it still existed and was a major investment for them.

I also think there is a clear difference between the level of popularity for Beetlejuice and the level of popularity for The Wizard of Oz or Gone With the Wind. Very few films ever can claim to have the same level of lasting cultural impact as those two do. But that doesn't mean Beetlejuice wasn't a hit. It doesn't need the number of editions that those two movies have. It would obviously sell less than those. But a reissue 12 years after the last disc, when something superior clearly could be made, was certainly worth doing. It's a shame that WB instead did a box of junk edition for Amazon when that effort would have been better spent on updating the Blu-ray. Oh well.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yeah, I see no evidence that they don't like it and have no idea what Andrew is talking about here. I think they just decided to save money by repackaging an adequate Blu-ray edition instead of putting in the extra effort to make a great one. That's not dislike. That's laziness. If they didn't like it, they wouldn't have put out the 4K either.
Exactly! :thumbsup:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Also Beetlejuice was about as successful in theaters as The Goonies which also was also just released in 4K with no new extras. They both made about $150 million in 2020 dollars domestically. I think WB likes both films just fine despite not giving them new special features. At least Beetlejuice got an Atmos upgrade.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
@Todd Erwin

Thanks for the review, but the font color makes it nearly unreadable for those of us that might be using the "HTF Dark" option (in Dark, below text body is dark gray print on black background). Are you able to choose a different font color?

1599145649554.png

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
@Todd Erwin

Thanks for the review, but the font color makes it nearly unreadable for those of us that might be using the "HTF Dark" option. Are you able to choose a different font color?

View attachment 77929
I've forwarded your feedback to the personnel who design our review template, as I do not know what color to change the default font to.

If you have not already done so, I suggest posting this in the Forum Feedback and Help section. Include in your post if this the only review you are seeing this issue in.

Craig M Russell

Auditioning
Real Name
Craig Russell
To me, special features are increasingly irrelevant as part of the value of a disc. When I first started buying DVDs in 1997, the internet was tiny, slow, and inconvenient to access, so it was actually useful and informative to get this treasure trove of info. Now, if I want “extra features” to give me the background for Beetlejuice, I can find as many as I want on my phone more easily than navigating awkward menus.

Even something like a director’s commentary can now be achieved through the director podcasting a track you can play along with the film (some of the actors from The Office are doing this right now with their show episode by episode).

Obviously, no one interested truly top quality home theater quality presentation is going to stream rather than buy discs (at the moment). And I’m always a sucker for a pretty box or cover. But as for the extras, they can keep em.

SimonTC

Agent
Real Name
Simon
It just seems odd that people are complaining about a 4K release not including an upgraded Blu-ray.
They are trying to sell a 4K UHD disc. Did people complain when a DVD in a combo wasn't similarly upgraded on the Blu-ray + DVD packs?
Usually when the corresponding Blu-ray is upgraded, there is a separate release - such as the Back to the Future example.
It's not cheap to remaster a Blu-ray either, so I don't blame them for not spending the money.

Last edited:

Craig M Russell

Auditioning
Real Name
Craig Russell
Right, and a lot of the time whether the blu is remastered probably has to do with questions about whether or not there’s a box of the old pressing sitting in some warehouse somewhere that they’re trying to use up.

I have a 1080p projector, but I still own a 4k player to take advantage of the better transfers. Since I know I’ll upgrade eventually, why wait?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Obviously, no one interested truly top quality home theater quality presentation is going to stream rather than buy discs (at the moment)
Streaming 4K/Atmos films on my Apple TV is almost identical to discs. Now.

And purchased on sale for $4.99 vs $24.99 currently on disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks