What's new

"Because of Winn-Dixie" Overpriced? (1 Viewer)

David Allen

Stunt Coordinator
Why oh why is this DVD $20 ? It's the same at WalMart, Target, Amazon, etc. This is a single disc release with Full and Widescreen versions crammed together. This should really be in the $14.99 or less range. Why is Fox pricing this so high everywhere when other studios release new family DVD's around $15? You can buy brand-new 2-disc special editions with lots more hi-quality content for the same money. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come...

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
$16.14 at Deep Discount DVD. Some DVDs are priced more than others...it has always been like this (especially with TV sets.)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
If they were still putting out laserdiscs, it'd probably be priced at $39.99, without even a price drop in a few months. They're giving this away in comparison.

ChristianB

Stunt Coordinator
Because maybe the DISCOUNT isn't as deep as other HOT new releases? At $20, the DVD is still over 30% off the msrp of $29.99! :)

- Christian

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
This is the average price range for a new title. It will get marked down by the end of the year or early next year.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Sorry to go off topic-ish, but like Jesse said, we have it made with DVDs. I purchased Jingle all the Way on Laserdisc (before it was rereleased and was OOP) and while I payed less than $10 for it, the shrinkwrap had an MSRP of $39.99 !!!

If $20 is just too much for you, just wait and it should eventually go down in price. My Wal-Mart had it cheaper I think.

Ryan

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
My thought on this was that the audience for it wouldn't have the money. Can you hear the little girl crying out - "Mommy, mommy, they have it! I want that so bad. Can you pleaseeeee buy it? Pleaseeeeee?"

You get the idea

Glenn

Mark Philp

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
Hey! A nice family movie with a cute kid a great dog. Who wouldn't buy it for their little ones at $20? I was in children's store yesterday and they had it for sale AT LIST PRICE. They were selling them as fast as they could put them out. This one's a great gift from Grandma or a favorite auntie who usually don't worry about prices. (Grandpas and uncles too) Besides Christmas is only about 4 months away. Looks to me like they're charging what the market will pay.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Forgot to mention that Fox's standard list price for new release DVDs used to be $34.99- a bit of a break from their $39.99 laserdiscs, but still out of line with DVDs from other companies. The usual "discount" price on them usually didn't get any better than $27.99. I'm glad they came around in that department!

David Allen

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, not to sound annoyed, but Laserdisc price/value is irrelevant. Ancient history...cry me a river that you paid a fortune for those things. We've moved on. Why pay MSRP? There's no reason to pay over $20 for any single disc DVD in a standard non SE release. The studios/retailers have established a certain expectation for pricing. Everybody should know that buying a DVD during it's opening week release is usually the cheapest option, unless you want to wait until it hits the bargain bin months or years later. For the most part, buying new DVDs online isn't the cheapest option unless you're spending enough $ to get free shipping. Target, Best Buy, Kmart and Wal Mart are usually the best options for new releases, and I'd say the average customer uses those locations most. So I guess Fox has decided not to price their releases the way other studios do (MGM, WB, Paramount). That's all I was pointing out. If this disc only had one version on it like other studios do (separate releases for WS or FS) and I knew that the bitrate would be maxed out, I probably wouldn't have been so shocked by the price. This is not a serious HT snob rant, I'm just thinking that if you're used to getting your family DVDs for $15, this is going to seem oddlly expensive. It's not like it's a Disney classic (yet) coming out from hibernation.

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
Yes, it's all cheap compared to what laserdiscs cost back in the day, but let's face it, dvds are closer to the VHS rack. Cheap, mass produced, and not all that rare and special.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks