What's new

Beauty and the Beast: IMAX edition formatting (1 Viewer)

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I have also heard that the original version will be the original version, without the cleaned-up castle. I think we're safe.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Here's hoping that they include the Theatrical Cut and the Special Edition cut, and not the Special Edition cut and pass off the Special Edition minus new scene as the 1991 theatrical cut. Since they are apparently doing the same kind of thing to Lion King, I'll be very ticked if they take shortcuts and don't present the original cut of the film.
But let's wait until we know for certain before bashing Disney...remember everyone ripped them for the schlock job they were going to do on the Snow White video transfer. :)

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
James,
That schlock job was mentioned as a rumor by a poster on this site who "spoke to someone who spoke to someone" if I remember correctly. Rumors.... are rumors. Too often they are uncorroborated and passed on as fact. We at HTF really cannot take credit for the Snow White DVD because even with the rumor of a second rate mastering job, that rumor occured fairly close to the release date. Disney, in spite of a certain character in its past, is not a Mickey Mouse outfit! :D

Robert Cook

Stunt Coordinator
Peter Kline wrote:
LukeB said:
That's different. The issues of the Beauty and the Beast DVD are not based on any rumors that any of us have heard from anywhere. It's based on the simple fact that there is way too much video for one DVD-9, without doing something unusual and complicated. I've given valid reasons why this is so, in terms of the movie itself, and I've given numbers and calculations based on actual DVDs to back up my statements about disc space and bandwidth. Now let's see if Disney was up to the major challenge that they have unnecessarily brought upon themselves.

Robert Cook

Stunt Coordinator
AaronMK wrote:
Unlikely, but maybe Disc 1 refers to a DVD-14 or DVD-18. That would explain a lot, wouldn't it.
That's a nice thought, but Disney has a policy about providing disc art on single-sided discs, so that people--particularly small children--can easily determine how to play their DVDs. Not only do I have trouble believing that they would make an exception for one of their major animated releases, the disc art has already been designed, and here it is for Disc 1:
http://www.davisdvd.com/images/disc_art/beautybeast.jpg
You never know, they might have changed their minds, scrapped the disc art, and used a DVD-14 or DVD-18, but like you said, it's unlikely--even more so now.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Um, actually Peter, I'm the one who started the thread about SNOW WHITE. I can't go into how I heard about it, but I can assure you that it wasn't a rumor and that the negative publicity that came about because of it was a factor in the decision not to use the old LD master. I can understand taking things worth a grain of salt as a lot of things that are posted online are pure speculation. I swear on my beloved Home Theater that this wasn't one of them. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks