What's new

Beauty and the Beast: IMAX edition formatting (1 Viewer)

James Reader

Screenwriter
I understand that most modern Disney films are animated at an approx 1.66:1 ratio and wouldn't be surprised if both the original and special editions on the upcoming DVD are presented in this format.

However, as well as adding the new song - didn't Disney re-animate several pieces of animation for the IMAX presentation where they felt the original animation was rushed or wouldn't stand up on the big IMAX screen?

Do you think the DVD will also include these redone sequences on the 'special edition' and the older, original sequences on the 'original cut', or do you think that the only difference between the original and special edition will be the insertion of the song?

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
I have no idea what they'll do with the DVD, but yes they did tweak some scenes here and there to compensate for the size of the IMAX screen. Most of that was in background animation.

In the original release, many of the background characters that were just filling space (think crowd scene at the end of the opening song) were just rudimentary drawings that did the job on the conventional screen. On the IMAX screen, however, these rudimentary drawings became obvious and they had to improve them.

In the original release, near the end of the movie, we just went straight into Beast's and Belle's big date. In the IMAX edition, we have the new sequence of all of the servants singing while they straighten the place up preceding the "date". To maintain continuity with the scenes after the new one, the artists had to go back in and "clean up" the castle to make it look all spruced up from the once-over it got from the servants.

Of course they messed with other little things here and there, but those are the biggest examples I can think of right now.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if they fixed Belle's eyes. That tended to be regular then wide-set in some sequences. Also I suppose that door to her house that opened either inward or outward stays?

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Work In Progress is the original. There's also the original version plus the fixed version as well. 3 films for the price of one!

James Reader

Screenwriter
Work In Progress is the original. There's also the original version plus the fixed version as well. 3 films for the price of one!
But are you sure all the tweaks made for the 'Special Edition' will be included on the Special Edition (or conversely removed from the 'Original' Edition).

There was a greater number of animation changes made to the 'Special Edition' than just the addition of a new musical number.

I would like to think all three versions are included in their entirety, but I think it is more likely the bulk of the two 'finished' movies will be the same, with just the new song either branched in or out, depending on the version selected.

It would be unlikely - I think - to have the full work-in-progress (which must be a title on it's own) plus a multiple branching title for the two 'finished' films on the same disc.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
No branching. All 3 versions are shown in their entirety. Disney made it clear in their press release. What else can be said.:)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
No branching? The 3 versions are all on disc 1!

Over 260 minutes of footage, plus commentary, french language, karaoke, and a couple of small supplementals, all on the first DVD-9?

I'm sorry, but based on my experience with tons of animated DVDs, you don't put over 4 hours of animation on a DVD-9 and have it still look good. Video bitrate will have to be less than HALF that of Pinocchio!

This is troubling.

Robert Cook

Stunt Coordinator
James Reader wrote:
Michael St. Clair said:
This is very troubling. If they didn't use branching, the encoding quality would suck big-time, and if they did, there would be reason to doubt that all three versions will truly be intact.

Robert Cook

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff Kleist wrote:
The work in progress is on its own DVD
I had the thread open for a while, so I missed your post. Are you sure about this? Do you mean that it's on the second disc with the supplements, or that there is a third disc in the set?

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Branching or not, here's info on the 2 disc set:

Edition Details:

• Region 1 encoding (US and Canada only)
•*Animated, Color, Closed-captioned, Widescreen, Dolby
• Theatrical trailer(s)
• Disc 1:
• High-Definition Transfer Using Digital Technology
• 3 Versions Of The Film
• -Special Edition
• -Original Theatrical Edition
• -Work In Progress Edition
• Audio Commentary
• Sing-Along Track
• Maurice's Invention Workshop Game
• Disc 2:
• The Story Behind The Story
• Character Profile Game
• Disney's Enchanted Environments
• The Broadway Musical
• Disney's Animation Magic
• Chip's Musical Challenge Game
• "Beauty And The Beast" Music Video By Jump 5
• "Break The Spell" Adventure Game
• The Story--Bringing The Story To The Screen, Early Presentation Reel
• The Music--Alternate Score: The Transformation, Alternate Version: "Be Our Guest," Deleted Song: "Human Again," Beauty And The Beast Music Video, Original Demo Recordings With Introduction By Alan Menken
• The Art--Designing Beauty And The Beast, Art & Design Gallery
• The Characters--Character Galleries, Animating Beauty And The Beast
• Pencil Version: The Transformation
• Animation Tests
• Setting The Stage
• Layouts & Background Gallery
• Tricks Of The Trade
• Camera Move Test
• Release & Reaction, Poster & Ad Design, Trailers & TV Spots, Large Format Trailer
• Widescreen anamorphic format

Robert Cook

Stunt Coordinator
Peter Kline wrote:
Here's info on the 2 disc set:
• Disc 1:
• 3 Versions Of The Film
• -Special Edition
• -Original Theatrical Edition
• -Work In Progress Edition
And here's a link to the full press release:
http://disney.go.com/disneyvideos/an...ast/press.html
It doesn't describe how the three versions are implemented, only that they're all on the first disc.
By the way, notice how they said "High-Definition Transfer Using Digital Technology." High-Definition, huh? Holy consumer deception, Batman! :eek:

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I'm betting that the WIP version is the same old version, and that seamless branching is used for the other two versions.

I'll bet the 'original' theatrical version is the IMAX version with the new scenes cut out.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
No betting allowed on this site.

You are going to get 3 versions of the film. The original theatrical will be different then the new one because the new film contains tweaking of scenes and not just the new sequence. Branching would probably not work. The press release says 3 versions which will include the WIP (same old version - did you want a new one?), the original film and the new, IMAX version. The film runs 84 minutes and a dual layer disc can easily contain all 3 versions.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
It at least used to be 3 discs

Seriously, the differences between the first 2 versions is under 5 minutes. They'll just branch them

Given that the movie is what, 90min long? You can easily fit the first 2 on one layer and the WIP version on layer 2.

Joel C

Screenwriter
Thw WIP also doesn't need to have a super-duper high bit rate or anything. Final Fantasy includes a WIP version as well... it's mostly just line drawings and half-completed stuff right? No need for it to be crystal clear.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Thw WIP also doesn't need to have a super-duper high bit rate or anything. Final Fantasy includes a WIP version as well... it's mostly just line drawings and half-completed stuff right? No need for it to be crystal clear.
Hey, bite your tongue. The WIP is my favorite version of the film, period.

The WIP is like 80% completed animation anyway, so don't even think about it!

Robert Cook

Stunt Coordinator
Michael St. Clair wrote:
Jeff Kleist said:
Seriously, there are many differences between the Original Theatrical and Special Edition versions aside from the extra scene.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
All of this is an interesting exersize, but why not wait until the disc is released? Disney is certainly not going to put out a sub-par version of the film. Everybody's jumping the gun and dismissing the information already given out. Also, if some on this thread simply don't want to believe what the press release says it's OK by me. There will be plenty of egg to go around.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks