What's new

BD Player Advice? (1 Viewer)

Rolando

Screenwriter
Has the PS3 gotten an update allowing it to stream DTS-MA?
I am also trying to decide on the best player to get. upconversion is not that important as I can use my HD-XA2 for SD DVDs. But the best possible in lossless sound is imperative either 5.1 out or through HDMI to a Pioneer 9120.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Not yet unfortunately, and even when it comes, it's expected to decode DTS-HD/MA to uncompressed PCM before passing via HDMI. There is no expected plan to pass DTS-HD/MA (nor Dolby TrueHD) in its undecoded/original form -- it's been said that the HDMI hardware on the PS3 cannot pass them undecoded (though I have no idea why). If passing the undecoded/original bitstream track is important to you, then you'll need to look at some other player.

_Man_

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I have both the ps3 and the panasonic 30. they are both fine players. if you want to bitstream your trueHD and DTS MA.. then go with the panasonic 30.

Jacob

wally

Second Unit
Might I introduce another way of looking at this?

I was in the same situation, except for having HDMI, on my TV. Anyway, I was going to wait for a player with 7.1 outs since that’s all my receiver has.

I couldn’t wait any longer and sprang for a PS3 two weeks ago and couldn’t be happier. I’m now thinking of replacing my receiver that I have almost a grand into for one with HDMI. The PS3 is so cool, I don’t want to relegate it to the upstairs “occasional theater” just for the lossless sound. Who knows, depending on what prices do, I may just purchase a second BR Player!!!

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
I am also looking to get a BluRay player. I currently have a Toshiba HD-A1, which I will keep for upconversion and HDDVDS.

Since I have an old receiver, I would like a player that can decode ALL of the advanced audio codecs and pass them out via 5.1 analog. From what I can tell, the Samsung BD-P1400 does this. Is that correct?

Also, I am not sure what "profiles" are, but I am not sure I feel like waiting for the newest one. I really don't care about extras, especially a PiP commentary. I just want to be able to play all of the movies. Can I do this with an older profile player on a newer profile disc? Again, I just want to be able to play the movie.

Thanks

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Profile 1.0 players should be able to play Profile 1.1 or 2.0 discs just fine, but without the PiP commentary or web-enabled features that the newer profiles enable. Notice the emphasis on should. Until we have more Profile 1.1 or 2.0 titles available to play on older 1.0 machines, we really won't know exactly how this pans out, but odds are you will be able to play most discs on a 1.0 player.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Marc, et al,

I would stay away from any profile 1.0 player made by Samsung or most anyone else other than Sony, if I were you. Not worth the hassle/risk at this point.

_Man_

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor

So does the Sony BDP-S500 decode and output all known audio codecs via 5.1 analog? What is the profile of this player? Since it is a sony, is it likely that the profile could be upgraded via a firmware update?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just so everybody realizes that firmware update 1.6 for the Panny BD-30 fixes the LFE problem.

Crawdaddy

Leon Liew

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Hartwig,

Need some advice from you rgarding the Sharp BD player. Just bought
the BD-HP20A and like you really love it for the slimness and quietness.

I bought it only after considering the Sony BD-S300 and Samsung BD1400.
The advice I seek is this.My A/V receiver an Onkyo 676 have a 5.1 input.
So the only option was to utilised the BD player's 5.1output to play Blu ray
DVDs.

As I read from this thread the managing of the LFE proves a challenge from
the LPCM source.I've tried to setup the speaker but to no avail. The LFE
signal prove too strong.Is there a way to counter this or maybe simply
set as no subwoofer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks