What's new

Battlestar Galactica: Season 2 - SciFi US broadcast thread (1 Viewer)

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
I think it's a great idea. There's obviously a lot of fertile ground for stories showing not only Caprican life prior to the First Cylon War, but the steps and actions that led to the first Cylon achieving sentience and deciding to turn against humanity. Putting it fifty years back places us squarely in the distant back story for the BG universe, not any specific characters, which *would* be limiting for the BG series.

I also think this is an even better idea because it's SciFi doing what fans have been wondering why they haven't done more of long before now; creating and airing *original* series content. Not to start a flame war (probably impossible with this comment, but oh well), but Stargate is pretty schlock SF and is definitely not in BG's league, and Stargate was merely a series they lifted off Showtime when that channel was washing its hands of it. If a Caprican centered BG series gives us more BG stories, great. If it puts the SciFi executives even more firmly on the path of thinking about and funding original series content, even better for us.

We all know there are tons of known properties, either former series or straight from novels, an executive could likely be talked into funding. And if they do enough successful shows that they kick off, they’ll probably get to the point where they’re asking the creative people involved with those shows (such as Moore) “hey, do you have any dream ideas we could do a show out of?” That would give us more truly original properties to enjoy, adding more icing.

Fans should be happy about this. After all, it’s not like there’s an overabundance of SF on tv the last five or ten years. I haven’t counted, but I’d bet there are more of the stupid CSI and Law and Order shows just in the last two years vs the amount of SF on tv over the last *ten*. We should be cheering SciFi for doing what their damn name says, showing SF!

Lots of farsighted thinking here, but it doesn’t seem to be any real stretch to see things like this happening if BG and Caprica continue making SciFi happy with ratings and ad dollars. Honestly, if Caprica hits, I could easily see another one or two original series showing up to further fill out SciFi’s schedule within a few years at most.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
I'm afraid they'll put the "r" in Caprica after the "C" instead of the "p".
(While I like SG1, I detest Atlantis. Give me a break, "Space Vampires" as a long term plot point?)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co

Well I like Atlantis, (although they have worn out the Wraith, IMHO). But that was a show they spun-off well after they had just about done it all with SG-1, (especially with the original team). So it gave them new ground, new stories, new characters. But we just barely finished 2 seasons of BSG. We still don't know much about the Cylon's "plan", there is still a lot to cover in the series we already have.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Back to BSG for a second. The s2 Finale was on in HD tonight with pretty impressive results. It gives a very different feeling to some of the scenes to be certain. It's not quite like watching the first time, but the battle scenes on Caprica, Nuke detonation, and most of the space shots seem to benefit greatly. I'm assuming many of the indoor scenes were intentionally left a bit grainy, but gave it more of an upconverted look rather than supersharp HD like some of the others.

I think it's the 4th time I've watched this 2 hour block and the last half hour actually seems to be improving wiht each viewing. The Cylon March down Main St is about as scary as it gets for me.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
It was nice to finally see the last minute of the epsiode in something other than a 3-inch picture on my computer monitor (thanks to the DVR timing fiasco). It certainly has a much bigger impact in HD.

Robert A. Willis Jr.

Second Unit
Well I finally caught up. After seeing the finale in HD last night and reading all of your remarks, I am anxious for next year when ever it starts on Universal HD. Although now that Cox (in my area) is remapping all of the analogs to digital channels, SciFi which had terrible PQ is now pretty good.

Watching the finale in HD without commercial interruption was a treat. I think my constraint was worth it and I'll try the same thing again next year.

I admit I don't know where they are taking this show. I hope that there won't be a reset, but a few things need to be resolved and you guys have discussed them thoroughly. I just can't help thinking that Baltar will somehow be subsumed into the Cylon empire much like he was in the original show. They have him in custody, he is a genius and six (it is six isn't it) has a strong emotional connection with him. He also has so many weaknesses that he could easily be subverted. After all he immediately surrendered without attempting any negotiation.

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
I watched it too today, the last 2 episodes.

It still amazes me how good of a show this is and it put alot more things together having watching the last 3-4 hours of the season in a day.

I still think its a better show than the Sopranos or anything else on TV.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Robert A. Willis Jr. wrote (post #1672):

And that, ladies and gents, is the sound of the hammer hitting the nail squarely on the head.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman

I was flipping through the HD channels one day about a month ago and found Universal HD. No notice from my cable company. If only I could get a full FSN package.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Very big, but vague: TV Guide reports in its latest issue that a major character on the show will not last beyond the third episode of season 3. David Eick is quoted as saying (paraphrasing) that the show presents a war and the repurcussions of that have to be felt, and that won't happen by just killing off supporting characters or extras. Frankly, between this show and Lost and the other shows that kill off characters, I'm really tired of the killing. Let the speculation begin as to who it is. My money is on Roslin.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks