What's new

Battlestar Galactica: Season 2 - SciFi US broadcast thread (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yeah the Multipart shows were stronger but keep in Mind they came later in the season when they were coming up with a Direction for the series (The War of the Gods storyline) the early eps showed the strain the show was under to crank up scripts as ABC gave them almost no shooting schedule.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Actually, multi-parters were rather evenly spaced out over the season.

There were two multi-parters right off the bat: the pilot, "Planet of the Gods," then two one-parters and "Gun on Ice Planet Navarone...er...I mean Zero." After that, there two more lame single parters and "Living Legend," two more one-parters and "War of the Gods", a couple more one parters and "Messages from Earth."

The longest string of single part episodes came at the end of the season.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
I just watched "Scar" in HD last night. Wow. Was like seeing it for the first time. The HD makes a huge difference, especially in episodes like Scar which involve even more dark scenes than the already usually dark series. I don't think I could ever skip the original sci fi broadcasts, but they really do a disservice to how good this show can look. Universal also broadcasts it in 5.1 and while they don't make extensive use of the surrounds, there were a couple moments where either Scar or a viper flew over head and the surrounds were used effectively. Not sure the sub came into play much.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Of course, BSG always has a subdued sound field when they are in space. They wanted no sound at all (like firefly) but settled on this effect.

Regards

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

JMS used to say that we should think of the sounds in space in Babylon 5 as simply background music. :) Since there isn't any music in space either ...

Regards

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
I was not distracted by the thought that "hey, there is no sound in space." I enjoyed the sounds of the ships passing overhead. :) It wasn't overdone.

StephenP

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't watched the last 5 or so episodes yet, so I hate even coming in this thread. I had to ask though, what role is played by Richard Hatch?
Nevermind, I found it somewhere else. LOL I'm not even going to say what I was thinking.

Hayes Preston

Stunt Coordinator
Charlie,

I can't agree more, now that I have UHD (my Comcast added that channel for the Winter Olympics) it is hard to watch the SciFi broadcasts. "Scar" is a great example of what BSG should look and sound like.

October is a long way away.

StephenP

Stunt Coordinator
OK, I'm all caught up now. I just have to say I can't believe how it ended, not that it was shocking, just that it wasn't believable. I'll go back in the thread and read where the rest of you discussed this before I comment more...

Edit: The things I think are weak about the new twist are the state of the military. I can believe that every other ship sent 99% of the crew down to the surface, but not the battlestars, it just wouldn't happen. Not even having enough pilots on board to have a CAP? I even have no problem with Starbuck getting out, she found her "love" and wanted to spend time doing other things, but their should still be 80% or more of the crews on the military ships. I think this will be how we lose the Pegasus (during the attempted rescue of the colonists.) I assume Commander (Lee) Adama will have to fly a viper during the attack since their are so few pilots (I know it would never happen in a realistic situation) thus he will be saved when the Pegasus is destroyed. Not sure how "Dee" would escape though. I also cannot see Lt. Gaeta serving Balatar in that role.
I do agree that there would be almost no houses after a year on that rock, I didn't see any trees around. Surely they could have picked a better section of the planet to settle in...

Joel C

Screenwriter

Your other complaints, the writers have justified pretty well in interviews, and they sort of make sense to me — after a year on the run, people were desperate to get onto solid ground, and as the months ticked by with no Cylons, even Adama began to slip.

But your other point, quoted above... if you go back and re-watch the series, Gaeta is constantly in awe of Baltar throughout, and obviously has some sort of man-crush on the good doctor, so I totally bought that he became his Billy. Also, I got the feeling maybe he left the military after realizing some of the crew was involved in the election scandal.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

After a year of nothing happening, I could see a good part of the crew ending up deserting the ships. It is a morale issue, and it is hard to keep up eternal vigilance when there hasn't been a threat.

Jason

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
I think it works. The cylons told the humans they were done with them. Then they didn't show up for a year. A good part of the population was depressed, sick and starving (remember all those "filler" episodes about the black market, civil unrest, and poverty.) They were looking to stop running and they were ready to believe the cylons. As dark as the show is, it probably didn't convey the amount of stress that results from constantly running, while surviving with depleted food, medicine, law and order and general well being. They wanted to leave the ships.

I also think if they made the time jump much more than a year, fans would go even more ballistic then they already did about losing a year of story telling. Some time passed, some things changed dramatically, now let's see what happens with this new set of facts. It works for me. I wasn't losing interest with the old format, but they didn't wait until it was too late to change it either. If nothing else, the decision to go in the direction they did has spawned the most discussion about one plot point in the history of the series. And this is one of the most discussed shows in this forum. I know some people didn't like it, but you've got to admit it's interesting. For your sakes, I hope the writers do a good job picking up the story next year. I believe that they will.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell

But that was the garden section of New Caprica. That was one of the main arguments Roslin and Adama were using about not settling on that planet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks