What's new

Battlestar Galactica: Season 2 - SciFi US broadcast thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
click the link in my sig to hear our interview with Katee Sackhoff. Not too much in the way of spoilers or anything (although I think she lets one loose on accident) but a fun little conversation, I think. I hope. Lemme know what you guys think.

oh, and if you wanna check out our previous shows, feel free to do so ;)

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Robert, just a note to say that my hearing isn't the best, but I was still able to hear quite a bit of the recording. The quality is quite high.

One thing I couldn't hear is what she says she's in Vancouver filming. It sounded like White Nights 2, but I'm pretty sure I got that wrong. I don't see an entry on IMDB. Anyone?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
She's in White Noise 2. I shall now cry a little to think that that thing made enough money for even a direct-to-video sequel.

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes
Okay gang, I need some info here.

I saw Battlestar Galactica when it was initially broadcast in the late 70s.

But, I was in the navy then and out to sea when Galactica 1980 was aired. In fact, I only learned of its existence in this or one of the other Galactica threads.

My Tivo, having learned that I like BG, chose to record an episode of Galactica 1980. Out of curiosity, I played it (a Cylon ship crashes in New York and two Cylons (one a Spylon?) go to a Halloween party with Dr. Mark Craig from St. Elsewhere and kidnap Wolfman Jack).

My question is: WTF?

Why was Jim Reed from Adam 12 playing not-Apollo?
Why was Barry Van Dyke (!) playing not-Starbuck?
Why could they jump like Steve Austin (leaping, floor-by-floor up an elevator shaft)?
Why can they turn invisible?
Did I really see the first Spylon (a toaster disguised as a human)?
Why could the Spylon shoot flames out of his hands?

Can someone fill me in?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
So are you a professional disc jockey or something, Robert? It's nice to see an interview with a celebrity where the interviewers know more than what they Googled five minutes before hand.
Katee seems pretty down to earth.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
yeah, I'm a professional smartass. Disc Jockey is such a misnomer anymore, since none of us actually play discs or have any say over what we play. And she's very down to earth. It was fun as hell. Although my girl got a little sketchy because I was blatantly flirting like crazy :)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Well, you'll always be the loser from the TF.N boards to me:) Considering she mentioned the Peabody Awards, the interview had to be recorded what, yesterday or the day before?

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Hugh, You would be advised just to forget you ever saw Galactica 1980. You'll feel better in the long run. :)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Universal was also "out to sea" when Galactica 1980 was put together. Everything about it is just wrong. The original retains a lot of its nostalgic value and is still fun to watch. Galactica 1980 was never fun to watch, and is only interesting by modern standards to see how awful it was.

The Sci-Fi Channel will occasionally run a marathon of these shows. Tune in for 5 minutes and see what it was about. Then quickly turn off the TV and tell your new Galactica DVDs you're sorry.

One curiosity: one of the episodes is titled "The Return of Starbuck" and stars Dirk Benedict. It's not very good, but Benedict at least is entertaining.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Return of Starbuck was the ONE and ONLY episode of Galactica 80 that is worth watching, and it works on repeat viewings too. Course the first 5 minutes of that episode were lifted from an episode of The original Galactica. I have now had a flood of Galactica 1980 memories, and must now lie down. Please dont make me relive it again!

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I've actually been re-watching Galactica 1980 recently, for the first time since it's original airing :b

Short answers Hugh, if you really want them, is that "Troy" is the kid formerly known as Boxey, Dillon is a new character, it is set apparently about 20 years after original Galactica (hence Boxey is now grown), I think Apollo, Sheba, Athena etc have somehow died, although we later learn Starbuck just went missing (and was found).

They can leap tall buildings because apparently their gravity is heavier/higher than Earth normal, so they appear to have super strength in Earth gravity. If you'd seen the previous episodes, Super Scouts, you'd have had a bunch of cute kiddies throwing super-fast fastballs in Little League, catching home-runs as if they were pop flys, and having caught the ball at the edge of the field, rifling it back to home with no effort at all.

Invisibility is some gadget created that I think either bends light around the object to be hidden, or generates some sort of interference (i.e. technobabble to justify the ends, which is invisibility). A necessary gadget to hide their Vipers when parked in the middle of some field, and little portable wrist-watch ones do the same for the individual.

Don't forget the flying motorcycles...

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey

I think that episode was one of the best, if not the best episode of the entire series. Yes it was a cliche but it was well done.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Since I'm actually bothering to re-watch G1980 in order, I haven't gotten to Return of Starbuck yet, keeping it I suppose as the "dessert" to redeem the rest of the irredeemable dross I'm ploughing through, so apologies if I've gotten any details wrong. Not far to go...

As an aside, I'd completely forgotten that G80 had "spylons". Guess Moore's concept wasn't necessarily completely original then... :D ;)

(yes, tongue very firmly in cheek, no flames please!)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
BSG 80s was terrible. i dunno what compelled me to sit through it, but return of starbuck was truly like the light @end of tunnel. i mean BSG 78 wasn't great to begin with, but BSG 80s just plummetted to a whole new depth.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I did enjoy a number of the original BSG series. I did have a tendancy to get very corny at times. But BSG 80's IMHO should have never been done.

When I first saw the revisioned BSG I was not sure I liked it. I couldn't believe that they switched the genders for some of the main characters. I however gave it a chance and it how is one of my favorite shows on cable. Granted the picture quality on SciFi frackin sucks :angry: . But at least they are showing episodes in HD on Universal HD :D . The new version is alot more character driven and its story lines are better IMHO. The original series I felt had its short comings and could have been done better. For the times that it was done in it wasn't to bad.

I just hope it does not take to long for the new BSG to end up on HD disc. I have allready planed on owning every season in HD if they make them available.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Did anyone else notice that, for the most part, the two-part episodes of BSG 78 were the good ones while most of the one-parters were usually the stupid ones with Cylons as gunslingers?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks