What's new

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA Blu-ray Disc #3 Replacement (1 Viewer)

Tom_Tagliente19

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Tagliente
Nearly three months have passed since BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: THE REMASTERED and DEFINITIVE COLLECTION was released on Blu-ray. A few weeks after its release, an announcement was made on TV SHOWS ON DVD that Universal was offering a replacement of Disc #3, in which some of the episode, THE MAGNIFICENT WARRIORS, was missing. I sent the message as was required to the email address that was posted, but still, two months later, have not received my return label for the new disc.

Has anyone else gotten their label yet? I resent the message two times since the initial first one and still I have not received so much as a single response to tell me they are working on it, or that they have sent out the label. If everyone else is still waiting on their label, can you please post a reply under this thread so I know that I am not the only one, or that I sent my info incorrectly?

Thank you.

Tom Tagliente

Attachments

• BD Cover.png
    BD Cover.png
    546.5 KB · Views: 110

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I know quite a few people who have received their corrected discs in the mail. I'd keep trying or see if you can find a phone number to make contact
in person. I see some folks that go replies immediately and other it took weeks of trying.
One person said if you weren't getting any response at all try sending them an email from a different email address and
see if it works -- especially from a different email domain (gmail, yahoo, etc) -- I'd include all your information
in the body of the email as well -- email address, return address, etc

A phone number posted in other places might also help -- 661-702-5132

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, thought I’d resurrect this old thread.

I have the Battlestar Galactica Definitive set. I never opened it and I checked to see when I bought it. I bought it June 2015! I had not known there was a defect on disc three. I did a little research and found a Digital Bits review of this set that stated the third disc has the episode, Magnificent Warrior and some scenes are missing from the widescreen version. But the standard edition is ok.

I did the research because I found this thread because I was going t open the set and check out the discs. Based on what I’ve read, it sounds like I likely have a set with the defective disc. I wanted to check if the issue is only isolated to the widescreen episodes?

At this date, I of course cannot exchange the set with Amazon, so if it really matters to me, I guess I can try to contact Universal for a replacement disc. But based on the reviews, the standard edition is the one to watch anyway and I always prefer OAR. I watched this series when it aired in 4:3 too.

Thanks for any insights!

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I have no idea what's missing from the wide screen version, I've never bothered to watch it. However I can tell you the full screen is just fine.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I have no idea what's missing from the wide screen version, I've never bothered to watch it. However I can tell you the full screen is just fine.

I had no idea about this error, either. I've never watched the widescreen version, and have no plans to, so I'm good.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Scott, thanks! Good to know sticking with the full screen version is fine! Sounds like the widescreen is not liked by many.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Agreed Jerry, the widescreen version was made for a particular viewer who likes to fill the screen.

My comment that it seems unpopular or unliked came from reading some comments here and from a review on the Digital Bits. The image quality seems to have suffered too during the transition from 4:3 to 1.85 to 1.

At any rate, it seems a moot point now, I’ll be watching the standard 4:3 version. :).

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
There was no point doing a widescreen version of this at all. To me, they were wasted discs.

I wouldn't mind seeing this favorite show of mine get another Blu-Ray release that could give us more bonus content (commentaries for each episode like we've seen with the shows Kino has done) and also better menu screens since this ported over the European version and was difficult to navigate.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Jack, that’s an interesting comment about the menus being bad. I am ripping the blu rays to MKV format and will view them via Plex to my Apple TV. So I’ll have open my blu ray set and ran them through the computer and i might not see the discs in my blu ray player to see the menus! Good to know I’m not missing anything.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I admit one thing I did was to take advantage of all the deleted footage and restore a lot of it to the episodes they were shot for to create new cuts of them. Not just the "telemovie" footage but some outtake footage as well.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Yeah it was an imperfect release, but pretty darned good. I don't have use for the widescreen versions since they weren't made to be seen this way and those episodes have a blue tint applied to them. The only reason I watch the 3 part pilot in WS is that is the only version with the commercial break blackouts intact. The full screen edits it together like a movie. This was common with Universal VHS releases but it was fixed for the full screen Blu Rays except for the pilot. While this may not make much difference to most people, these act breaks hit harder with the blackouts. While the series could be cheesy, the pilot movie was pretty relentlessly downbeat for a Glen Larson production and the dead serious nature of the pilot was enhanced by the sudden and grim act breaks.

The menus are confusing but I also just ripped them to mkv (but compressed them down a bit because the files are huge) so Plex will be my go to also.
I admit one thing I did was to take advantage of all the deleted footage and restore a lot of it to the episodes they were shot for to create new cuts of them. Not just the "telemovie" footage but some outtake footage as well.
That sounds really cool! Did you reinstate the pilot footage? There's that entire "Serena's Illness" subplot that was jettisoned.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
The image quality seems to have suffered too during the transition from 4:3 to 1.85 to 1.
It looks like they just zoomed in the 4:3 masters rather than creating proper 16:9 versions.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I watched a part of Saga of a Star World last night. I have not seen this since the premiere, but I had seen the theatrical cut of the pilot on DVD many years ago.

The live action looks great. I only watched it up to when Adama orders the Galactica to head for home planet while the fleet is under attack. I’m not sure what I think of what I’ve seen. It brings me back to when I had seen it in my youth. I’ll probably finish the first episode and see if I want to watch more. My perspective has changed after seeing the re-imagined version.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
One thing I'd like to know-- is this about the original 70s ABC Galactica (which includes Galactica 1980), or the newer modern-day Galactica?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
That sounds really cool! Did you reinstate the pilot footage? There's that entire "Serena's Illness" subplot that was jettisoned.
That was something I didn't put back because it contradicts the later narrative of the series. I wanted to put things in that could still fit into the overall narrative. I also couldn't put back in outtakes where the audio couldn't match so that meant extra scenes of Cylons talking were no good since the outtakes have the voices unprocessed. I was helped with a lot of things by finding a continuous audio loop of the Galactica engines sound F/X which allowed a lot of shipboard scenes to go back in that had never been used (or extensions of other scenes that were used).

PM me and I can give you the links for what I came up with. I even did my own commentary tracks for each episode I re-edited.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
If only this series were among the titles acquired by Kino Lorber in their Universal deal (I wouldn't know if it is or isn't, but it seems very doubtful considerng the value of the BG brand to Uni). My dream release would be a Special edition much along the lines of Kino's "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century" set. Besides includng the extras frm the German Blu-ray that didn't make the Region A version, it would also include optional new CGI effects ---- If you havn't seen the CGI--remastered test clip from "The Living Legend" episode by Adam Leibowitz (one of the chief FX artists on the 2000s BG series), check it out on YouTube.. IMHO he (provided his availability, ofc) would be a perfect choice to render updated FX for such a release ---- alongside the orig. effects. All that, plus the theatrical version of the pilot remastered. (The above-mnt'd Universal "Definitive Edition" sadly included only the old over-DNR'd Blu-ray of the movie. They could have easily remastered it using the 'new' episode scans, but chose not to).. Anyway, I know such a release is highly unlikely, but hey, one can dream.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks