What's new

Battle of the Satellites (1 Viewer)

Greg Schex

Agent
Due to GAF(she lives here)and a weird shaped room I have been searching for a center & sat system. My constraints are as follows they must be wall mountable, the rears should be white and all direct radiators. I also do not want any rear porting as to how they will be mounted. The sub will be next but I am keeping it out of consideration for now. So far I have come up with the following choices boston 9000 (w/VR910 center) & Bravo rears, M & K K-5's not heard but specs look good, Monitor Audio baby boomer (can't find anymore in white), Atlantic Tech Sys T-90, Paradigm Atoms/micros,or Energy 5.2. :D I am getting a Denon 2802 and my room is 15*18*13 very "hard" and open on one side. I have tried to hear as many of these as I could but most audio stores have Sat's set up out on the floor and there is so much other noise it is not easy to tell. Any thoughts on these systems or others appreciated. (did I win a sub?) ;)

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Definitive Technology Procinema100 w/procenter C2 will get my vote. I had these and they are the best satellites I have heard yet. The come with a base plate/stand that doubles as a wall mount so you won't have to buy them. Can be white or black too. I would suggest a different sub however. Maybe the new PCi from SVS, or a Adire Audio Rava.

Greg Schex

Agent
Jeff, wow i just checked the web site for these and I am impressed they go down to 50hz!! :D Size looks good mountable with built in stands and come in white ;) EXCELLENT CHOICE! where did you get yours? I will look around SD and see if I can see/hear them soon. Can you just buy them in pairs? I need a b set too so am looking at 6 speakers a center and like I said a sub after I get everything else hooked up. I'm thinking about the 9"x9"x9" sunfire as once again space is an issue in my house. Thanks again I will keep the forum posted :emoji_thumbsup:

Donald Shrum

Stunt Coordinator
Acoustic Energy. AWSOME for the Price. If you'd like, I will even demo these for you.
Link Removed

Ricky c

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Def.Tech procinema 100's w/200tl sub.It is fantastic.The thing is you need to wire according to Def.Tech. recomendations which is using speaker level and LFE simultaneously.Set the mains to large and sub yes.This gives you the best of both worlds.It's a great system that sounds alot bigger than what it is.You can even mix and match between the 80's,100's and 200's.I personally believe their sub which i use is very capable for HT and music.But i'm sure you'll get different opinions on this.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Greg, Ricky,

I had the prosub200 12" with my procinema100's too but it just didn't get down low enough. Sounded great in the 35Hz and above region but dropped off severly lower than 35hz in my room at least. Anyway, chances are the 50hz they advertise is well more than -3dB down, keep that in mind. They do not spec the frequency response within +/- 3dB. I found the bass to be seriously lacking in all satellite speakers I have listened to. They just aren't bug enough to produce bass. However, if you run a good sub, you won't have to worry about the bass anyway.

I really did like the speakers. I have recently sold them and upgraded to DIY GR-Research Monitors which are outstanding! I am also building my own tempest sub to go with them.

I actually got my def techs used from a friend that upgraded to DT towers and bipolar rears. I got a great deal. You may want to check ebay, or some of the other electronic classifieds for them. You can also buy them at Magnolia HiFi, they are up allong the west coast, but don't know if there are any in SD. Go to the DT site and look for a dealer in your area. That way you can at least hear the speakers and decide if you like them or not.

Good Luck!

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
How set are you (and the girlfriend) on only buying speakers that you can get the rears in white? You are eliminating so many potentially great choices with this and I've got a feeling that you (or the girlfriend) may be disappointed if you ever move or decide to paint the walls a color other than white...:)
If you want to consider an absolutely gorgeous, wall mountable speaker system that sounds pretty damn good for it's $799 MSRP budget price, check out Acoustic Research's HC6 system. The 5 speakers and sub come in a stunning piano black finish that is so beautiful you would never want to hide them. You may even want to buy a second set to use as a centerpiece on your kitchen table. ;)
Check out http://www.acoustic-research.com/hc6_content.asp

Greg Schex

Agent
Thanks for the great suggestions! As far as the white color for the rears ... I know it does limit me :frowning: I would go with all towers and a much more comfortble couch but... trade offs you know :D her only request was that if I wall mount rears they be white. Has anyone heard or have the M & K's? the mk5's and mk7's have good reviews and the company looks like they have been at the sub sat thing for quite some time. I am not as concerned about the price as I am about quality. I just want the best musical speaker that is maybe 10" in front and 7" for the rears. (height) Tommorow (saturday) I go to hear the M&K's - will post back. Donald where do I hear the AE's?

Steve Zimmerman

Second Unit
I thought the point of living together without getting married was to not have to lock yourself into anything you might regret later :)
--Steve

Greg Schex

Agent
Don't worry Steve! She is totally behind the idea and doesn't care what I spend! (we have a joint acct) I remember first looking at this house and my only gripe was "where do I put my speakers? :frowning: (The Boston VR970's are now down in the bedroom) :frowning: The guy who lived here before had his stereo wired into a hall closet with 2 in wall speakers. I HAD to have both a music /HT system but the TV was on the opposite side of the room, not wired to anything. But the new challenge of running the wires, and getting new gear has been fun My new Denon comes next Thursday! ;) ;) I will wait to start a mini sub debate after I get the main speakers:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks