What's new

battle of the planets in season sets?? (1 Viewer)

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy
Since rhino has release the six dvd's and the "ultimate" boxed set and now that it is playing on boomerang on sundays will we see any season sets from rhino?
Or is there not enough support for the show?
I have all the six volumes and the one box set but it would be nice to have more episodes on dvd.
With all the anime overload on tv these days this is really the only anime I love, having watched it as a kid! Or the only anime that I'm not sick of.

Joshua Lane

Second Unit
That's a good question. It's coming up on a year since that box set was released (Sept '03) and I have a feeling that maybe it just didn't sell well enough for Rhino to continue. Or, perhaps they decided to focus on getting their TF/GI Joe/Jem sets out first since the contract with Sunbow is expiring soon.

Inhumanoids fans feel your pain. We got two volumes (eps 1-9) of a 13-ep series and that was it.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
At least AD Vision (IRRC that's the company) will soon be releasing the entire season of original Gatchaman episodes. With those, I really don't need all of the BOTP bastardizations. I'll probably keep one Rhino disc as a nostalgic sampling of my childhood and sell the rest.

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy
Well the only thing that I did'nt like about the set was the price $50-$60. I paid for the limited ed. with the figure which was 10 bucks higher and stupid deepdiscountdvd.com sent me the regular set.
But the interviews and commentary were worth it to me, seeing how old the cast is now.
To be honest I don't care about having the original Gatchaman version at all.
I don't speak japanese and I hate having to pause the dvd to read the darn subtitles. Let's not start that old debate of subtitle vs. dubbed. It's just not what I grew up with.
I can do without the g-force episodes too, turner screwed it up for me.

DanHaya

Second Unit
I agree with Randy. While I realize that Battle of the Planets is "bastardized" from the original Gatchaman, I grew up with BOTP. I've never watched the original version, nor do I have any desire to do so. I'm not a fan of anime, just this particular series (although Star Blazers and Voltron were also good). I still have a BOTP metal lunchbox that I used when I was a little kid, for crying out loud! LOL

I've avoided buying the individual volumes and the box set because I wanted to be sure that Rhino was going to relewase the entire series before I started investing my money in it. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like we're going to see any more new product, so I guess that this is one series that I won't have in my collection.

--Dan

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Can anyhone update me on what's currently available?

I understand that R2 UK just got a really awesome looking 12-disc box set of the complete and original BOTP series but I'm not sure how the quality compares to Rhino's releases in terms of audio & video, and I would also like to know what kind of extras are included.

Unfortunately, I don't believe that any of the original Gatchaman episodes are included in the R2 box set, but Jay mentioned above that a company by the name of Ad Vision would be releasing the entire season of Gatchaman episodes to DVD soon...

I've searched Google all morning and came up with nothing!

I'm aware that there is currently a Gatchaman box-set which advertises Vols. 1-3, however it is my understanding that these are not from the original 70's series but a later 90's rehash?

I've also noticed that R2 Japan has some very elegant and definitive collections of original Gatchaman episodes on DVD, including one complete twenty-something disc set packed with extras and goodie... but unfortunately there are no English subtitles offered and the only audio tracks presented are in Japanese.

So this is where I'm at right now... I would ultimately like to just go out and buy the complete R2 BOTP box-set and not have to deal with Rhino's aggrivating release schedule and context, yet I'm having a ton of difficulty getting some solid information on the set.

I'd really like to know exactly what's included, and likewise what's been left off the set in comparison to Rhino's R1 discs/collections...

Finally, I am curious to know whether the audio commentaries (if featured) are the same track recordings as Rhino commissioned for their releases?

Please fill me in if you have any insight into all of this confusion at all!!!

Also, I'm sure I mentioned it previously but I'd really like to get a comparison on the imatge and audio quality of the R1 & R2 releases.

Thanks!

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
All I could find was that ADV Films announced at an anime convention called "Anime Central" in May that they had acquired the license to the entire run of the first Gatchaman series.

ADV Press Release

I haven't found another official peep about it since. I would imagine it is coming, though, as I doubt they would let the acquisition go to waste.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
So would you guys suggest going with the complete R2 UK box-set, or sticking with the unorganized Rhino releases for the extras?

If in fact every single episode of Gatchaman will be released uncut here in R1 with original audio tracks and optional English subs in a nicely remastered format, I could live without a few commentary tracks and interviews.

Could anyone tell me EXACTLY what sort of extras are offered via the 2 Rhino box-sets and various single disc releases, aside from the "G-Force" and "Gatchaman" episodes, and whether they're really significant?

Likewise, does anyone have the EXACT specs for the UK box-set in terms of extras and can anyone offer a really quick summary/comparison between the two in terms of audio & video quality?

Thanks!

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
ADV has finally announced they'll be releasing the first of seven Gatchaman DVD sets on June 14.

Uncut, new English dub as well as original Japanese audio, and extras.

ADV press release

Still no love for the folks waiting for more of the BOTP version (although I think another set, this time without matching Japanese versions, has been released since this thread was last active). As for me, I'll be all over this!

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
My ADV set of the first two volumes (plus a bonus disc) arrived last Friday...I guess it was back-ordered.

Love it! Bonus disc is a bit weak. From what little I watched of the dub, I didn't think it was so bad, but I'm a sub fan and thus won't be watching any more of the dub anyway. I do admire the sound mix of the dub and how how the original music and sound effects elements were given spaciality without tacking on new, uber-aggressive, crystal-clear, night-and-day-different sound effects like the HG Robotech Remastered releases.

Image quality is far above that of the Gatch episodes on the Rhino BOTP discs (and those looked pretty good to begin with, especially compared to the BOTP versions). My only complaint: it is not in 24 progressive! Even the Rhino Gatches had that.

ADV guys, if you're listening, please switch your production pipeline over to 24p immediately! This show is on film from start to finish and there's no need to be encoding 3:2! I know you added video supers to the end credits, but all the NLEs have a 24p mode nowadays. If you were provided transfers with pulldown already on them instead of actual film prints, Inverse Telecine will set it right. If you do, then at least some of the later releases will be presented properly.

Suggestions for extras: I'd like to see the original end credits with the Japanese text at least once as an extra, or even reincorporated back into the show itself as a seamless branching dealie (or whatever) that would be activated when one selected the Japanese audio track. As for other extras: more about the original show and less about the new dub. Just my own bias. Although the auditions were interesting...I'd have picked Vic, myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks