What's new

Battle Of Britain (1 Viewer)

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Anybody out there want to resond to this question - I always wondered if this film was out there in its released OAR and sure enough I saw it on ebay listing at 9.99. Not to worry, when the bidding ended and the smoke had cleared it went for a paultry $ 61.00. not exactly cheap and since I reside in Canada it would have set me back at least $ 112.00! Laserdiscs are apparently alive and well mostly because alot of great older films just are not or will not be released by the studios on dvd. Oh well.
;) :) ;)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Actually, most older films are not on DVD because of quality control issues. (many need restoration, remastering, etc)

They're not simply keeping them in vaults as you may think.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Brent: I'm not certain, but I believe that copy on Ebay that just sold was full frame - it's an older release. I own the more current widescreen release (looks pretty good). $61 would be a good price for my widescreen, not so good for the older version.

And, no, I'm not interested in selling mine, unless someone offers a ridiculous amount.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I TiVo'd a nice widescreen copy off of TCM a few weeks ago to hold me over until a DVD release -- whenever that may be.

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
I watched and taped that Michael but what was wierd was that they had no subtitles for any of the german language parts and they were many extended scenes where unless you spoke german you would have no idea what they said.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Battle Of Britain is a United Artists film. MGM sold Warners their MGM library but retained rights to the United Artists library so MGM would be releasing Battle Of Britain.
It would be nice if when released on DVD, Battle Of Britain would include the original Sir William Walton score which was replaced in the States at least by a Ron Goodwin score.

A whisper??? We need more than a whisper..!! I've been waiting years (Ok.. 2) for this title on DVD. Give us something more than a whisper that we can follow till next year.
Any whispers about The Blue Max??? ;) I know it's Fox but any whispers would be good...

Maurice McCone

Stunt Coordinator
It would be nice if when released on DVD, Battle Of Britain would include the original Sir William Walton score which was replaced in the States at least by a Ron Goodwin score.
I also agree. It would be great to hear the whole of Sir William Waltons score as an option.

However, I am happy with the original theatrical release with Goodwins stirring themes. Part of Waltons score is still heard playing over the main montage battle , towards the end of the film.

Can't wait to have this in OAR, the BBC showed it in 16:9 recently, that tape is all I have until the hopefully early release of this classic.

BTW - The Dambusters is being released in Reg2 next week along with Colditz, Ice Cold in Alex as part of a boxset.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
To everyone who posted replies and insights I just want to say thankyou. Now that we have some hope that it may be released in the not too distant future I will rest a little easier. Pass the popcorn will you.
:) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks