What's new

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
Then you can say that for any star actor playing a certain character's role. For me, that's not a problem.
Absolutely. I wasn't criticizing Ben Affleck specifically; I would have felt the same way about any big name that they'd cast.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I think the job of an actor whether it's Spencer Tracy, George Clooney, Robert Englund or Ben Affleck is to make you forget you're watching the actor and make you believe the part. There really haven't been too many examples I could give where I watched a movie and only saw the actor and not the character. I certainly didn't see Affleck in ARGO and I'm pretty sure this BVS film isn't going for the same quality. Again, his casting is rather confusing to me but it's way too early to say he's going to completely screw this up.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Can i ask everyone who they would have cast if Christian Bale wasn't available and we took Ben Affleck out of the running. ?

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I thought Karl Urban would have been nice
image.jpg

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It seems like DC/WB are rushing things. I think there should be at least one more solo Superman film with Henry Cavill first, so we're more familiar with him as the character. It also seems odd to introduce a new actor as Batman in a team-up film, rather than letting him have his own solo film introduction. Unless Affleck is simply playing Batman as a stop-gap cameo in this film, while WB continues the search for a new actor to take on Batman for the next film trilogy?

It just seems like DC/WB are salivating over the massive grosses for The Avengers and simply cannot wait to tap into the superhero team money action.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
heath1_zps39e75860.jpeg

reeve1_zpsf8838208.jpeg

Freddie Z said:
I have no problem with Affleck being Batman. Daredevil was a long time ago and his acting has come a long way since then. Just check out Hollywoodland. He'll be fine.

I do, however, still have a problem with Batman and Superman being in this MOS "sequel." I feel sorry for Henry Cavill not getting the chance for another solo adventure and instead having to be second fiddle to Batman. I don't think the cast of MOS expected a Bateman/Superman movie so soon. Imagine how the rest of the cast feels about having their screen time reduced to make way for Batman.
Exactly. I feel sorry for Henry Cavill, too. WB clearly don't give a crap about Superman, so much so that not only does he not get his own solo-sequel, but they went out and cast a much bigger star than him in the co-lead. As sure as the sun will rise tomorrow, I guarantee you that certain people behind the scenes are more pissed than any nerd ever could be.

Who knows? Maybe next year, Cavill will direct an Oscar-winning film, date Jennifer Lopez, and save the world from an asteroid, catapulting him to Affleck's level.

He'll have to actually save us from a real asteroid, though.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Also, the world's greatest nerd-comic** had a couple of classic irrational-nerdrage zingers:"Ben Affleck being cast as Batman fills me with every emotion he doesn't know how to portray.""Having Ben Affleck play Batman after Daredevil is like Hitler winning another election...after the Holocaust."Referring to Daredevil : "Seeing Ben Affleck near a superhero film now is like seeing Chris Brown near a girl now."(** No, not Patton Oswalt, you dolt -- I'm talking about Mike "Sadimantium" Lawrence, of course.)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Malcolm R said:
It also seems odd to introduce a new actor as Batman in a team-up film, rather than letting him have his own solo film introduction.
I thought that at first but I think it's actually a smart move because this movie could be utterly awful and the team up concept alone will still result in pretty good box office. And by introducing the new Batman in a movie that's a pretty sure thing, the audience will be accustomed to Affleck playing Batman in the next solo Batman picture (I can't imagine they've gone through the hassle of casting anyone- not just Affleck- as the new Batman and not signed them to a multi-movie deal).

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
INT. WAYNE MANOR - DAY

BRUCE WAYNE is entertaining a FEMALE GUEST while ALFRED is out on a BEER RUN

TravisR said:
I thought that at first but I think it's actually a smart move because this movie could be utterly awful and the team up concept alone will still result in pretty good box office. And by introducing the new Batman in a movie that's a pretty sure thing, the audience will be accustomed to Affleck playing Batman in the next solo Batman picture (I can't imagine they've gone through the hassle of casting anyone- not just Affleck- as the new Batman and not signed them to a multi-movie deal).
According to The Hollywood Reporter, Affleck has been signed to a multiple-picture deal -- Man of Steel 2, Justice League, plus a potential standalone trilogy. Five to six pictures, is what's being reported; evidently Warner Bros. are wanting to keep Affleck under contract in the role longer than Bale was (assuming the next movie doesn't tank):

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/why-ben-affleck-said-yes-613658

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
Chuck Mayer said:
Well you are also paid if you do, and not paid if you don't.
Fair point. I too wasn't a huge fan of MoS, but depending on how this crossover is approached, I'm hopeful that we could be experiencing a very entertaining movie in a couple of years.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
mattCR said:
Reports are saying Affleck will get a writers credit on this. Bryan Cranston is rumored as Lex Luthor
Maybe they should hire Affleck and Matt Damon to write the script, it worked out kinda good the last thing they wrote together, also Matt Damon for Lex Luthor, he has the right look and age and does bald well, just see his look in Elysium.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks