What's new

Bathroom Speakers (1 Viewer)

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I'm getting my bathroom redone in 2 weeks and wanted a pair of speakers mounted for my CD player. I will be running in-wall cables and plan on putting the speakers about 6' away from each other on a wall about 1' down from the ceiling.
I'd like recommendation on in-wall approved speaker cable as well as a pair of in-wall speakers. Should I get outdoor speakers to protect against the moisture, or is that not a problem? The cable run will be about 30' but I'm not afraid of buying a spool so that I can wire the rest of the house up later.
Thanks!
Glenn

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I would recommend outdoor grade speakers. Or, at the very least, polypropylene cones with rubber surrounds... and a titanium tweeter to avoid corrosion.
You may want to look into a weatherproof microphone in the shower so you can sing along.
wink.gif

[Edited last by Dave Poehlman on November 14, 2001 at 10:26 AM]

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, karoke in the bathroom could get pretty sick! :)
Most of the outdoor speakers that I saw were not wall mounted, and many were shaped like rocks! Huh?
I'll look into the MTX's James. Thanks
Glenn

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
James, thanks again! I found MTX's website and their 600WM's are 'high humidity' models. Maybe not as good, but with the water running it's going to be a little messed up anyway. I found them for $135/pair! Can't beat it!
Glenn

James Mudler

Stunt Coordinator
Glenn I hope you see this before you order. A Parts Express flyer came in the mail yesterday. They have a huge sale on inwalls similar to the MTX line. I saw a VERY similar model as the one I was refering for $18.75 ea.
I cant find it on their web site. Probably not updated. I think this is the one. If you call they can tell which one is on sale. Ask for a part number and then look it up on their site.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...=9350&CATID=43
------------------
Luke, I'm your father

James Mudler

Stunt Coordinator
Oh the leads are coated in rubber and the spider was treated for mosture....I just remembered reading that int he flyer, Sorry I forgot to grab it when I was running out the door this morning.

Mac F

Agent
If anyone in your home likes steamy showers as much as my daughter, you might look for underwater speakers. If she had music in there, we never would get her out.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I use Rolen Stars that are actually mounted to the opposite side of the bathroom wall and the sound is louder in the bathroom than in the room where they are mounted. Although Rolen Stars are made to be installed "inside" a wall, they can be mounted outside the wall too but they give off sound through walls very well. Highly recommended. Do a search for invisible stereo for the website. I bought mine from an individual and love them.
------------------
"I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethru gleams that untraveled world whose margin fades forever and forever...."

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
It was interesting doing a search for speakers that will work in 'high humidity' conditions and still look ok for an in-wall mount. Very few speakers from mfg's sites mentioned that they would work under those conditions. Even the MTX's left me with one choice.
The deal for $135 fell through. I don't know what they did, but they wouldn't take my bankcard, but I did find them for $100/pair (retail was 160), and they are on their way now.
For the time being, I'm going to switch my 'B' speaker set from my A/V for this because two 8ohm sets won't work for one 8ohm output.
How do the 'whole house' systems work? Can they 'add' resistance to the lines from the receiver before they are distributed out to the rest of the house?
Glenn

Rich Boykin

Auditioning
Home audio systems use one of three ways to avoid amp overload (too low of ohm reading from combined speakers).
1) multiple distribution amps, ala Kustom or Russound
2) Impedance matching volume controls, either "home run" or daisy chained off of one speaker output
3) A home run speaker system with and Impedance matching speaker selector/distribution hub
Here's a decent, inexpensive 4 speaker distribution/selector (4 pair) from Sima....
http://www.accessories4less.com/advs...4&sPrice=34.99
Cheers,
Rich
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks