What's new

basshorn,Appearance and construction (1 Viewer)

michael-e

Agent
Hello im about to build a basshorn. 143Litres.
cutlist pic below
How should i finish it externally? it will be 18mm MDF and look abit rough.

im planning on similar construction techniques to this
http://www.speakerplans.com/page200.html

I was thinkin of something like this-
(volvotreters great horn site here

Any suggestions? construction tips? im planning on just using screws to clamp while i glue it.

this is my practise one with a 8" woofer, later il build a 40hz one for lab12 woofer,or if im crazy enough a 30hz one.

Cheers!

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
I don't have any advice (sorry) but I have seen that pair of
DIY Horns over on the DIYforums.. And they are just too SWEET!

(I love his choice of colors they look nice and warm :)

michael-e

Agent
i know their great aye.

anything but black

i thought about textured paint,but dont know where to get it,its not popular il have to go searching round paint shops.

;)

TimForman

Supporting Actor
I've used Rust-O-Leum Hammer finish in a spray can and was not pleased with the results. It's difficult to get an even spray with it. I've heard that truck bed liner spray works well. You may find it at an auto parts store.

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
i have used that HAMMER paint and i found that i had to lay a very thick layer down to get the look i wanted, it was thick enough that i couldn't spray a side that wasn't horizontal, it gave a great nice shine with the texture on the cap, It would require a ton of cans to paint a cab that big with that method.

michael-e

Agent
Isn't that a transmission line, not a bass horn?
Incorrect.

its a fully optimised basshorn The only wasted spaces are the corner 45*reflectors il put in.

The mouth is smaller than most.This is due to compromising frequency response ripple and having slightly lower efficiency.

This certain woofer 'allows' these optimisations to take place.exactly how i dont know. that would involve deep mathematics,differential equations and general insaneness that i dont have time for right now,perhaps in a few weeks

Thanks guys
;) :) :) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks