What's new

BASS Managment Sony DB940 (2 Viewers)

Michael Young

Stunt Coordinator
I am having issues with my Bass Managment after calibrating using several methods.

I don't quite understand how to correctly calibrate my bass, I have Avia, DVE, and a SPL meter.

I set the crossovers to all 90Hz on front rear and center, I am thinking of going with 120 for rear/center and 90 or 60 for front.

I've been using AVIA first and using their test tone per channel to set the DB on the sub itself to matching level with speakers.
Then I pop in DVE and use their 5.1 sweep on Dolby 5.1 and adjust using the LFE on the receiver. Then I do it in DTS and adjust with DTSLFE on receiver.

Overall I am quite confused as to what Im doing wrong. Im not sure if the crossover works well at all in my receiver.

Its very hard to peg the DB reading on the analog SPL I have measuring the sub, it sways ack and forth 5Db during all the tests, is this a reflection problem??

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
someone can correct me if I am wrong but I believe Avia and DVE have different calibration points. Any DVE is known to be...too "hot" on the sub I believe

Michael Young

Stunt Coordinator
hmmm. I would love more info on this. Im using both to calibrate.

Also It seems that Cd's have almost no Bass, unless I set my fronts on LARGE, even 60Hz crossover doesn't work.

On DVE testing the range, doesn't accurately reflect my crossovers on the sub. If I set it to 90Hz, the bass kicks in on DVE at 50Hz, when set on 60Hz it starts at 30hz on DVE.

Right now I have the fronts set on LARGE, Center and rear on 120.

Also I noticed my crossover on the actual sub was at 80Hz, which prevented my sub from playing any bass over 90Hz, I put it on aproximitly 120hz, and my bass seems a whole lot better.

Im still fiddling with it, and would love some suggestions.

Michael Young

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry for the lack of info.

Im running all of the speakers trough the receiver(Sony DB-940) using speaker wires. The Sub I have plugged into the pre-amp-using 2 RCA's.

DVD player Dennon 910 - Running optical digital.
CD player is analog.

Also you said I should have sub cross set to max. You mean on my subwoofer?? The knob goes from 80Hz to 220Hz, I had it in the middle. I need it on max?? 220hz?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Your sub's x-over will not be used when you turn it to max, only the one from the receiver. By using both, you create a very steep slope that will create a gap in frequencies between your mains and the sub.

You have the sub plugged into the main preamp outs or the sub pre-out?

Michael Young

Stunt Coordinator
into the sub pre-out. My receiver has 2 pre-outs for sub.

Also setting the knob on max, has added a great deal to my bass output, and fixed the gaps somewhat.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.