What's new

Basic Question..S-Video for DVD Player? (1 Viewer)

Phil Mays

Second Unit
What is the best way to connect a DVD player for the best audio/video reproduction.

Current set-up:
36" flatscreen JVC
JVC Progressive scan DVD Player
Direct TV Reciever

All running into and through a Onkyo TX-DS 797.

DVD Player is using RCA Gold cables and S-video cable. I have not used the component video connections or the Optical setup.

What can I do to make it better?

Jon Krangel

Stunt Coordinator
Also, both the DVD player and the DirecTV reciever should be connected to your Onkyo using either digital optical or digital coax for the best audio reproduction.

NOTE: Some DirecTV recievers do not have a digital audio out. If this is the case, just use regular audio cables.

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Jon,

All do travel through my receiver. Is the digital optical better, far better, or stupidly superior to regular audio cables?

I think I may be at the wrong area for this, I noticed after my post. I guess I did it here because I am concerned for display device operation.

Phil

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
Phil,
the digital connection is required for DD and DTS. the regular analog connection can only pass 2 channels.
even beyond stupidly superior!:)

Doug_L

Stunt Coordinator
In an attempt to get this thread back on track, you should be using component cables to connect your DVD player directly to your JVC. Unless I'm mistaken (please correct me somebody, if I am) S-Video cables cannot pass a progressive signal. As a result, even though component cables give you only a 5-15% benefit (the number is debatable) over S-Video for the same signal, by using S-Video you're giving up the benefits of progressive scan from the DVD player. If your TV has a line-doubler you may be approximating the progressive scan that the DVD player can put out, but in many/most instances a progressively scan DVD looks better than one sent interlaced and merely doubled within the TV.

James Stierman

Stunt Coordinator
That is correct component video cables are the only way to pass a progessive scan picture to the tv. If you are not hooking up you progressive scan dvd with them you are going to be lossing out on the added quality you paid for. Denpending on you tv, it might not have enough scan lines to display the progressive scan picture, but either way component is the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks