Basic Question..S-Video for DVD Player?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phil Mays, Jul 21, 2002.

1. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

What is the best way to connect a DVD player for the best audio/video reproduction.

Current set-up:
    36" flatscreen JVC
    JVC Progressive scan DVD Player
    Direct TV Reciever

All running into and through a Onkyo TX-DS 797.

DVD Player is using RCA Gold cables and S-video cable. I have not used the component video connections or the Optical setup.

What can I do to make it better?

2. Carl Gilbert

Carl Gilbert Extra

Pick up some component cables and see if you can see the difference over svideo. Chances are you will.

3. Jon Krangel

Jon Krangel Stunt Coordinator

Also, both the DVD player and the DirecTV reciever should be connected to your Onkyo using either digital optical or digital coax for the best audio reproduction.

NOTE: Some DirecTV recievers do not have a digital audio out. If this is the case, just use regular audio cables.

4. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

Jon,

All do travel through my receiver. Is the digital optical better, far better, or stupidly superior to regular audio cables?

I think I may be at the wrong area for this, I noticed after my post. I guess I did it here because I am concerned for display device operation.

Phil

5. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

Phil,
    the digital connection is required for DD and DTS. the regular analog connection can only pass 2 channels.
    even beyond stupidly superior![​IMG]

6. Doug_L

Doug_L Stunt Coordinator

In an attempt to get this thread back on track, you should be using component cables to connect your DVD player directly to your JVC. Unless I'm mistaken (please correct me somebody, if I am) S-Video cables cannot pass a progressive signal. As a result, even though component cables give you only a 5-15% benefit (the number is debatable) over S-Video for the same signal, by using S-Video you're giving up the benefits of progressive scan from the DVD player. If your TV has a line-doubler you may be approximating the progressive scan that the DVD player can put out, but in many/most instances a progressively scan DVD looks better than one sent interlaced and merely doubled within the TV.

7. James Stierman

James Stierman Stunt Coordinator

That is correct component video cables are the only way to pass a progessive scan picture to the tv. If you are not hooking up you progressive scan dvd with them you are going to be lossing out on the added quality you paid for. Denpending on you tv, it might not have enough scan lines to display the progressive scan picture, but either way component is the way to go.

8. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

Thanks for the help everyone. I will try that this evening to see what it does.