What's new

Basic HTPC (1 Viewer)

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
Hi folks.
I'm new to this HTPC lark, so i want to know what would be the full configuration of a basic HTPC, basically everything i need to start watching DVD's on my computer and TV.
I also like my games, and Quake II and III are my favorites. So i'd like a graphics card that can handle these.
Thanks! :)

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
Oh, and my budget is as low as possible - in fact, i'll probably be buying through eBay.

I'll also want a 17" monitor, so feel free to throw in your suggestions.

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
Thx for the links, Vince. Now for some questions of my own:

If you "mess up" and send the HDTV a "wrong" resolution/scan rate what happens? I'm assuming it won't blow up, but can it really damage circuitry or the CRTs?

Does anyone have the scoop on the new GeForce 4's (not the MX)? From reading those links, I now see that using the S-Video out is pointless on our TVs when we can use the VGA output for higher resolutions. So, do the 4's support custom resolutions? Also, can we use a DVI -> VGA/RGBVH converter in order to have output from the HTPC to both a monitor and our HDTV?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Daren,

I don't know much about the GeForce cards (I'm a radeon man myself)...

If you "mess up" and send the HDTV a "wrong" resolution/scan rate what happens? I'm assuming it won't blow up, but can it really damage circuitry or the CRTs?
Not that I know of- but I have a front projector so I might be misinformed. I would assume that it would simply try to sync to whatever it got- and if it couldn't, you get a rolling or distorted picture (like you get with CRT front projectors).

-V

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks