What's new

basic amplification ? (1 Viewer)

jeffCR

Auditioning
here is probably a basic question. I have a Sony home theatre receiver hooked up. It is 100wx5. I have the dvd player, vcr going directly into the receiver. I have the tv audio out ( it is not a variable audio out) going into the receiver ( receiver volume goes from 0 to 50 on display).When I play a dvd or cd or even an fm radio stationI can't go much past 35-40 on volume before it gets so loud (walls vibrate, things fall of shelves etc.)that its annoying. However when I watch tv and turn the receiver up, I can go all the way up to 50(max)and it is not nearly as loud ( I could listen to it all day if it were on a music channel. My question is then does a dvd player and fm airwaves put out a stronger signal than a television set( tv is only 6 months old 27" sony model). All this is considering I play the receiver in stereo mode only ( 2 speaks and a subwoofer). Any thoughts. Thanks

John S

Senior HTF Member
Source descpencies are faily common. Your likely to get this sort of thing from any given source to any other fiven source. Heck, even on DVD content it happens faily often as well.

I woudl suggest going and getting a cheapie Hi-Fi VCR for such duties, or if you have one laying around try it instead of the TV. I have had so much of this, I almost never allow people I help to use L/R Audio out of their display anymore, only as the last of last resorts.

Does the AVR allow calibration by source? If so, you can just bump all the channel levels when on that source to help with this. I don't reccomend going variable even if it is available on the Display.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I agree. Sounds like your TV has a low output voltage for the audio outs. Use a Hi-fi VCR to pass broadcast audio to the receiver.

Mattak

Stunt Coordinator
Go into the audio options of the TV and see if there is a setting for Fixed or Variable sound output. My Sony 27" has this option. If so, try changing it from Fixed to Variable.

Mattak

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, thank you, I do know how to read. Notice how I didn't imply that the option existed, just to check if it does, considering I also own a relatively new 27" sony and it has the option. It's perfectly reasonable to guess that the original poster just hooked up his receiver and noticed the output isn't variable when he changes the TV volume and assumed it's always this way, when in reality there may be the setting that enables variable output. Your post certainly didn't help any more than mine did.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks