Barrier between insulation and concrete?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Aaron Gould, Apr 25, 2003.

1. Aaron Gould

Aaron Gould Stunt Coordinator

Aaron Gould
    I have recently begun work on my basement home theater, and just completed the wood framing. I wish to insulate the lower half (the upper half is already done with "polytarp 6" or something -- came with the new house in January).

Now here's the problem. The framing is already in place, but there is no protective barrier between the framing and the concrete. I know it's a bad idea to just stick insulation batts in there without protecting for moisture.

The frame sits between .5 to 1 inch from the concrete, so there would be room to pull material around and behind studs...

Can anyone recommend a course of action, preferably one that doesn't require tearing down framing? [​IMG]

2. JayDaniel

JayDaniel Stunt Coordinator

Aaron, don't know if this would help your situation, but they now make insulation that is completely covered in plastic to make it easier to install/less itchy. While it does have small air holes to allow it to expand, it may provide some vapor barrier.

Also, while a lot of trouble and not the best solution, you might be able to attach plastic to the back of this type of insulation before installing to provide more of a moisture barrier.

Alternately, could you use the same type of insulation as is used above (Polytarp)?

3. Aaron Gould

Aaron Gould Stunt Coordinator

Aaron Gould
    Thanks for the suggestions Jay... You know, I can't believe I didn't even think about using the same stuff for the lower portion. Perhaps I'll visit a Home Depot/Building Box this weekend and see if it would work. Obviously it'll fit behind, as the upper half did. It'll be a bit of a pain to get into the corners though!

If that isn't a good solution, and I have to go with the plastic-covered insulation -- is there a risk in leaving the backs of the wood studs unprotected?

Even though my entire foundation is waterproofed from the outside (using product from systemplaton.com), thus theoretically making excessive water a non-issue, I'm still a little cautious.