What's new

Barnes & Noble Semi-Annual 50% off Criterion Sale (1 Viewer)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
20% off code online use only

F8X7X8P
So far it appears universal (members/nonmembers) and re-usable

Unknown expiration, but often these will go to the end of a month -- just not sure if it may be Nov or Dec

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Limelight was the last film from the July sale I watched. On sunday, so I could say I'd watched everything I'd bought before and not incur any wife wrath this sale. A very near masterpiece and surprisingly self critical, it's just a little bit heavy in the middle but still a terrific film.

I decided to skip apu next week and wait for a BF coupon for it. So I went back today and spent the apu budget on kwaidan, room with a view and blind chance.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
I just picked up Sullivan's Travels in this sale. It's a blind buy for me.

Russell G said:
I spun that one for the first time over the weekend Mike, you will not be disappointed!

DavidJ said:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Fantastic movie. I'd be surprised if you don't really like it, Mike.

TravisR said:
I said either earlier in this thread or in another Criterion thread but I basically blind bought it recently and thought it was an excellent.

My wife and I watched it tonight. Add us to the film's admirers. McRea and Lake were absolutely terrific.

There were a few of the longer broad slapstick pieces we thought fell flat (the bus traveling too quickly down the country roads/fields chief among them)...but there was too much to like to complain about them. The writing/dialogue was especially top notch. Some really quotable stuff there!

I doubt if they (the poor) would appreciate it (your investigating their condition), sir. They rather resent the invasion of their privacy, I believe quite properly, sir. Also, such excursions can be extremely dangerous, sir. I worked for a gentleman once who likewise, with two friends, accoutered themselves as you have, sir, and then went out for a lark. They have not been heard from since.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Online Coupon BNLEAF17 $10 OFF $75

This coupon can be redeemed online at BN.com and is valid only once per customer, per billing address.

This coupon is valid from November 16, 2015 at 12:01am to November 18, 2015 at 2:59am Eastern Time. This coupon entitles you to $10 off your order of $75 or more, while supplies last. The discount will be deducted after all other eligible discounts are applied.

I haven't gotten it to work yet, but it's listed at BN.com so it should activate soon

Typical exclusions -- no preorders, no textbooks, etc. The last couple versions of this type code have worked multiple times per account even though it's listed as a single use

EDIT: 1:30am ET Still no traction with the new code, but hopefully it will activate overnight

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Mike Frezon said:
My wife and I watched it tonight. Add us to the film's admirers. McRea and Lake were absolutely terrific.

Check out "Palm Beach Story" next. The Ale and Quail Hunting Club sequence on the train is still one of the funniest things I've ever seen in film. And in the supplements on the Criterion, you have a couple good extras on Preston Sturges' life and approach to film. I used some of his films when teaching screenwriting at colleges because no one wrote better dialogue FOR EVERY CHARACTER IN THE FILM, no matter how minor or incidental. Everyone in his films has a distinct attitude. For a stretch of about 6 films in a row in the 40's he put together masterpieces that still hold up because of their innate intelligence, timeless cynicism, infectious silliness, and narrative originality and inventiveness no matter what the topic.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Still no joy on the discount code above. I've tried all sort of different combinations of items and nothing is working yet.

Unlike many of the codes that are out there and hard to find where they originated, this one comes directly from teh B&N.com Promotion page and it still says invalid. Hopefully this still temporary adn when they activate it they may extend the expiration date to make up for not starting on time since it was only supposed to active 48 hrs.
It seems like I seen it before where the code has one date, but the IT folks programmed it for 24 hrs later so maybe it was meant to be a Tues/Wed code instead of Mon/Tues.

EDIT: Finally around 4pm the BNLEAF17 code seems to be active. I hope that means they'll extend the back side timing until Wed Midnight PT

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Doh! Went this morning to pick up ride the pink horse and a man escaped and use the two 20% off coupons i received in the mail last month and was saving for this sale. They expired yesterday and the computer wouldnt accept them. Oh, well, i bought them anyway. Picked up branded to kill last week, and have a few more to pick up. Planning to spend my time off Thanksgiving week cat hing up on viewing.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hollywoodaholic said:
Check out "Palm Beach Story" next. The Ale and Quail Hunting Club sequence on the train is still one of the funniest things I've ever seen in film. And in the supplements on the Criterion, you have a couple good extras on Preston Sturges' life and approach to film. I used some of his films when teaching screenwriting at colleges because no one wrote better dialogue FOR EVERY CHARACTER IN THE FILM, no matter how minor or incidental. Everyone in his films has a distinct attitude. For a stretch of about 6 films in a row in the 40's he put together masterpieces that still hold up because of their innate intelligence, timeless cynicism, infectious silliness, and narrative originality and inventiveness no matter what the topic.

Funny you should mention that, Wayne!

So I went back to B&N armed with a 20% coupon that expired yesterday.

My intent was to pick up only Being John Malkovich (which I got for $14.39) and get out of there.

But then I saw I Married a Witch and decided I could use another Veronica Lake film in my collection! :biggrin: Plus, it was only priced at $29.95 (making it $13.49 out the door.

And then I saw The Palm Beach Story--reteaming Sturges and McCrae. ($17.99). Done. These sales is dangerous! :laugh:

Thanks for the recommendations everyone! Are there more Sturges Criterions?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
And then I saw The Palm Beach Story--reteaming Sturges and McCrae. ($17.99). Done. These sales is dangerous! :laugh:

Thanks for the recommendations everyone! Are there more Sturges Criterions?
I think the only other Sturges Criterions are The Lady Eve and Unfaithfully Yours but they're DVD-only (as of now).

Small world, I was thinking about getting I Married A Witch too.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The Great McGinty is the ultimate hoodlum-to-Governor politician comedy by Preston Sturges, but is sadly still only part of the Sturges DVD Collection. But that's the one I've most shown in my classes as a great, smart, timeless look at power grabs in America. It's kind of like the comedy satire (realist) answer to Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (which I also love, but more in the same fantasy category as The Wizard of Oz). But a Sturges classics run is very addictive. Once you've tasted one, you seek them all out. The themes are very adult, sophisticated, non-pandering, completely eccentric and enduring. Hail the Conquering Hero, and Miracle at Morgan's Creek are also classics.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Update: Finally around 4pm the BNLEAF17 $10off $75 code seems to be active. I hope that means they'll extend the back side timing until Wed Midnight PT

Really love I Married A Witch. I don't what it is about these types of films -- Bell Book and Candle and of course TV Bewitched.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
David Norman said:
Update: Finally around 4pm the BNLEAF17 $10off $75 code seems to be active. I hope that means they'll extend the back side timing until Wed Midnight PT

Really love I Married A Witch. I don't what it is about these types of films -- Bell Book and Candle and of course TV Bewitched.

How about Burn, Witch, Burn? Written by Charles Beaumont and Richard Matheson. Not exactly light faire, but a favorite, nonetheless (in the category of wife as a witch).

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
David Norman said:

Did I miss something or is there actually something particularly special/different about that offer?

Near as I can tell, the old, reusable 20%-off online coupon (T9V7C3R) still works and should be better than this $10-off-$75 deal (unless it can be used for something the usual coupons do not allow), no?

Actually, I suppose if you're not a member (and thus don't get free shipping on smaller orders), this offer might work out better since the other coupons typically only apply to 1 item per order (and you'd need each single-item order to reach the $25 requirement for free shipping in that case). Probably makes more sense to simply get a trial membership instead though, if you're not currently a member...

_Man_

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I haven't seen Burn Witch Burn though it's been on my Kino wishlist for a while. It sounds like a film I would really
like and it's hard not to like Janet Blair in anything. I would like an answer to the question -- is there something more than a little misogynistic in all these films that the mortal husband always seems to want the wife to give up any powers?

It is a such a frequently recurring theme in so many versions of these and the female almost always says OK.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thought I read on HTF that "Lady Eve" was being prepped for BD. I have the two Sturges Criterions mentioned above and they are terrific. Love seeing the Sturges rep company in these especially the always delightful Bill Demarest.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
ManW_TheUncool said:
Did I miss something or is there actually something particularly special/different about that offer?

Near as I can tell, the old, reusable 20%-off online coupon (T9V7C3R) still works and should be better than this $10-off-$75 deal (unless it can be used for something the usual coupons do not allow), no?

_Man_
I actually wasn;t aware that code was still active -- it should have expired at the end of August unless you're one of those folks that seemed to get it stuck in their orders (I just tried to apply it and it failed)
though there is a similar active code listed above - F8X7X8P

20% is a single item and only would be better if you get Free shipping - the $3 shipping for nonmembers pretty much kills the discount though you could order in pairs, but then you kill the discount differently. Even some members with FS hate ordering single items from B&N even with FS due to the packing style (though almost everyone uses terrible packaging now).
They'd rather order 4 items at a 13% discount and be more likely to get a protected box than risk shipping damage and save a little. Of course most members shop instore anyway as the only major way to max the member discount.

For International shipments, it's definitely better than a 20% off unless there is at least one item in the order that is greater than $50.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ybmsmoke107
Recent bookmarks