What's new

Bands you discovered/liked before they made it big? (1 Viewer)

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D
Went to a concert with Mott The Hopple being the first warmup, Flash Cadilac and the Conn. Kids 2nd and the main draw was West,Bruce and Lang. Mott The Hopple blew everybody away and we could care less about the rest of the concert. Went the next morning to find an album and nobody had any and couldnt figure out why everybody that was coming in was looking for them. Must have been the early 70's.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm surprised by this thread!! I was expecting this to be a "I was a fan of ____, than they got real popular and now they suck" type of thread. I have to admit, it's refreshing to see that it isn't that. Most of the bands I was a fan of before they were big, never really got that big (SNFU, Dead Milkmen etc.) so my original intent with this thread is now sort of moot. But I am heartbroken, so I'm going to pretend that this is actually a snarkey thread and post what I was going to originally post:

There are far worse fates than a band you like getting popular and sucking, they can seemingly stick to their ideals for years and then become this:

http://disney.go.com/disneyrecords/Song-Albums/devo20/

Be warned, songs well play when you click the link, and it well break you heart. :frowning:

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I almost forgot...... in 1967, I was living in Nashville, going to college, and living next door to a "musician" who had his bedroom practically full of recording equipment. Being poor college students, we spent a lot of time watching him mess with his music and laugh at him getting himself and his dog drunk.... He had made an album which he sang the title song (written by him) often when he was drunk. His name was John Hartford..... wrote Gentle on My Mind which Glen Campbell made famous, or vice versa, a couple of years later. I remember John being one of the first druggies I ever knew and we all though he was so cool with all the recording stuff. Little did we know........
When we moved, we lived accross the street from Sandy Posey and on the same block as Bobby Goldsboro.... both pretty big names in the 60's music scene. Nashville was fun..........

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Well, I saw Simple Minds in Stockholm playing a small club with a couple of hundred people audience, around the time of Sons And Fascination/Sister Feelings Call. next time they came, they played arenas...
My first Sarah McLachlan album was Solace, still her best, before Fumbling, world tours etc (although I still like her a lot, but nothing beats Solace).

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sarah didn't really get any significant airplay in the US until Fumbling. I immediately bought Fumbling when I heard Posession, and the other albums as well. Solace is probably the album I listen to most of all of them too. I saw her on the Fumbling tour (that sounds funny) and it was great - relatively small venue, not too many people yet, and one of the best shows I've seen. Last time she was here, it was a big arena with lousy acoustics (yes, I went to see the show anyway :D ). At least she hasn't compromised herself after becoming "big".

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Lets see...

AC/DC opened for UFO in 1978... I was seventh row from the stage... I was blown away.

Cheap Trick opened for Blue Oyster Cult... that was 78. That was a surprise liking for me.

Van Halen - that first album was huge in high school.

Scorpions - they had alot of great albums before Lovedrive. It wasn't until years later they hit it big.

Judas Priest was great in 81. I guess they were just hitting it big then, so that may not count.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
The Motels did a free lunchtime concert in late 1979-early 1980 on the USC campus. I thought they were pretty good, but did not imagine they had the hits they would have later on.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Guns and Roses.
Back when I was a sophmore (maybe freshman) in high school ( I believe 86ish-87) a buddy of mine who was waay into the music scene came over with "Welcome to the Jungle" (original/banned Album cover) on vinyl and said this is going to be the next big group.
Probably 6months to a year before they actualy broke.

Kill'em all here too, but Metallica was already BIG in my Highschool (85-90). Knew people who already into " No Life 'til Leather".
Johnny Z lives (or lived, not sure anymore) in same town I grew up in.
I guess you could say Anthrax too, remember them back in the Billy Milano days (pre-S.O.D).

AricB

Second Unit
White Stripes a few months before DeStijl came out at empty bottle in chicago, about 200 people if it had sold out, which i dont think it did.

VonBondies touring with White stripes before they got kinda big.

Sugar Ray, before Fly was released.

Everclear before santa monica was released.

Marilyn Manson, opening for NIN while supporting their first album.

Limp Bizkit opened for Faith No More in 97, before Faith was released as a single.

AricB

Second Unit
i still like the first 2 albums quite a bit, although i could do without hearing Fly many more times. They got real Lame after those 2 albums.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Let's see...

-AFI (Before Sing The Sorrow)
-Gorillaz (I knew about them before Clint Eastwood blew up as a single)
-Less Than Jake (They were somewhat popular when I found out about them, but they are much more popular now)
-The Mars Volta (I knew about them around when De-Loused in the Comatorium came out)
-Gnarls Barkley (I found out about them like 4 or 6 months before Crazy was released as a single)

There's probably some more, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Aaron Cooke

Second Unit
NIN from sometime in 1990 shortly after pretty hate machine came out.

I liked Barenaked ladies first album when it was first released before they got popular. (still like that album just not most of their stuff after that)

Not that they're very big now but they're a lot bigger since doing friday night lights soundtrack - Explosions in the Sky.

I liked jewel and saw her play in a fairly small club before she got huge.

Depending on where you place his peak popularity I got into Weird Al back with his In 3D album. :)

Rommel_L

Second Unit

Russell,

I checked the site out, and somehow the phrase 'WTF' just lost all its meaning. I hope the original band is getting properly compensated for this... What a travesty.... [sniff]

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I loved NIN the first time I heard Down In It. Fan ever since, and still excited whenever they come out with a new album...can't wait to see them next week :)

I liked Smashing Pumpkins when they came out with Gish, when they were still shown on Headbangers Ball because noboby new how to "categorize" them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks