What's new

Bad Movies with Great Soundtracks (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
As soon as I saw the "Best Movie With The Worst Music??" thread, I thought of a movie that most people don't like, but it has a great soundtrack, but it doesn't fit the movie a lot of the time. I'm thinking about Mission To Mars. I know of its many scientific flaws, I've heard the argument from a friend who thinks its the worst movie he's ever seen, etc., etc. At the worst, I thought it was a decent movie. The soundtrack by Ennio Morricone didn't seem to fit in with at least some of the scenes. However, I bought the soundtrack for one reason or another, and it's one of my favorite soundtracks to listen to. I was listening to it today while reading something for homework, and when Track 11 (All The Friends) came along, I stopped dead in my tracks. It's absolutely beautiful.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Easy list for me:

1-Hawaii (1966-Elmer Bernstein)
2-JFK (1991-John Williams)
3-Taxi Driver (1976-Bernard Herrmann)
4-Raise The Titanic (1980-John Barry)
5-The Swarm (1978-Jerry Goldsmith)

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I don't really like Conan the Barbarian, but it has one of my all-time favorite musical scores.

Ben Osborne

Second Unit
James Newton Howard's score for Restoration is absolutely beautiful. I consider it his best, and one of the best movie scores, period. The movie, however, was not well-recieved. I plan on seeing it, but most of the reviews I've read have been very negative.

JNH's Wyatt Earp score is also very good.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
My opinion of Gladiator has changed from "mediocre" to "fairly enjoyable" solely due to the soundtrack. It just made the movie seriously grow on me.

--
H

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
3-Taxi Driver (1976-Bernard Herrmann)
Uh....riiiiiiiiggght. To each his own, I guess.

Though I wouldn't call it an outright bad movie, I've always thought that Star Trek: The Motion Picture was completely outclassed by its wonderful Jerry Goldsmith score. In addition to the now well-familiar main theme, "Ilia's Theme" remains one of the most beautiful melodies I've ever heard on a movie soundtrack.

--Jefferson Morris

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
I think Taxi Driver is a movie that apart from Herrmann's score has nothing to recommend. It's a quintessential example of how for me, bad "A" movies with pretensions of being great are always worse then bad "B" movies which can at least have a certain fun and charm to them.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'd put "Last Action Hero" on the list. The soundtrack still gets lots of play from me, tho I haven't seen the movie in years. A great set of heavy metal songs.

I also really like Goldsmith's score for "Legend". I've listened to that a long time before the new cut came out. Great stuff.

Jason

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
The Shining - a soundtrack as opposed to a score. Great use of Penderecki and Bartok. The film a bit over the top for my taste.

The Mission - gorgeous score by Ennio Morricone. Another so-so film.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Alexander Courage's music for Superman IV is a bright spot in a generally bad film. While it's mainly a restructuring of a number of John Williams' original themes, Williams did manage to compose two new themes for the film, and Courage did a good job in adapting and conducting the music. It's much better than Ken Thorne's rinky dinky music for III, and it should have seen a CD release. Unfortunately, Courage confirmed in an online chat a few years ago that he didn't see the need for a Superman IV soundtrack release.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
So John Williams worked on the Superman IV soundtrack too? Interesting.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
I hated The Thin Red Line, but the score and the photography were amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks