What's new

Thoughts on Spiderman Homecoming (1 Viewer)

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I really enjoyed the movie, so of course it was on my to get list when released on Blu-ray. I popped the bad boy into the player and low and behold, DTS Master 5.1!!! Am I missing something here!?! I think all the Marvel releases on Blu-Ray was 7.1 and this movie comes in as a 5.1 format, disappointing release in that regard. My 16 year old son though he put in the wrong format, (DVD as oppose to Blu-ray) but the he did put in the correct disc.

Video is great and the immersive surround sound would have really benefited from a 7.1. soundtrack.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Aren't you using a header named that belongs to Robert Harris?

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Oh, dear. Adding a microscopic view of some Kodak film emulsion to distract myself from the faux pas.

17872168-lg.jpg

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
This must be the bargain bin British Hitchcock version of A few words about...™

Last edited:

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
Hopefully this was an honest mistake by Jerome due to his strong desire to share his enthusiasm for the release but I would suggest an apology. I would also suggest perhaps an Admin could correct the title of this thread..

Regards,

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Am I missing something here!?! I think all the Marvel releases on Blu-Ray was 7.1 and this movie comes in as a 5.1 format

Putting aside your thread title for a second, the other MCU films are distributed by Disney. This one is released and distributed by Sony, which might explain the difference if Sony conforms to a different standard than Disney does in regards to their releases.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Putting aside your thread title for a second, the other MCU films are distributed by Disney. This one is released and distributed by Sony, which might explain the difference if Sony conforms to a different standard than Disney does in regards to their releases.

Since UHD came out, Sony has been intentionally crippling their BD new releases by keeping the more advanced sound for UHD - even though BD supports 7.1 and Atmos and even though Sony used to support those audio formats on BD.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Is it really intentional though when about 75% of consumers are only going to watch this in downmixed stereo anyway?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don't think the number of people watching it has anything to do with intentions.

Two years ago, Sony included Atmos on BD releases when an Atmos mix was available. They included 7.1 lossless mixes on BD when 7.1 mixes were available. Then, UHD comes along. All of a sudden, the 7.1 mix or the Atmos mix is not on the BD anymore. Now it's just a 5.1 mix. The UHD includes the mixes that the BD used to include. There's no technical reason that they had to be dropped.

If including the 7.1 and/or Atmos mix on the BD didn't cost them anything extra, and used to be standard policy, and they've now been removed, to me that suggests an intentional decision to make one product less premium (the BD) to better highlight that the more expensive product (the UHD) is now the most premium.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Bummer. I was going to buy this Spider-Man since I missed it in the theater. But I might just skip it on bluray too.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Bummer. I was going to buy this Spider-Man since I missed it in the theater. But I might just skip it on bluray too.
I thought it was the weakest Spiderman film yet.

And I still bought it. :D

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I missed it during its theatrical run but will be watching the 4K UHD release today.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I did not realize I stepped in an area I was not suppose too!!! Been a member for years, but I have to admit, I have not kept up with the changes. I will check to ensure that I do not violate any HTF rules when posting. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks