What's new

Babylon 5 coming to blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
well, they could do what they did for the original Star Trek series, offering both HD original FXs and also the redone updated versions for each episode...
I am all for a re-do of B5's effects, they looked like video game effects from the get-go. But really, are the originals so beloved that they need to remain even as an option? This is one series I would be 100% behind a total SFX reconstruction. CGI replaced by much better CGI.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
This is one of the greatest sci-fi series of all time, and I’m thrilled it’s finally coming to Blu-ray. If you recall, the DVDs were issued in five sets - one per season- and a sixth set that contained the B5 movies. I hope we will see a Blu-ray release of the movies as well.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I really enjoyed a couple of the TV movies. B5 will be a must-buy for me. Easily one of the best SF shows in history, certainly in the top 5 of the 90's. Only an awkward start to the first season and running in place at the start of the fifth brings it down a notch. I know the threat of a 4th season premature end made JMS speed up his arc, I really feel it gave the series a gripping "can't miss a moment" quality that really helped - at the time. I would have loved to see it play out as he planned, though.

And, damn it, he stuck the landing! How often does that happen? B5 should be a textbook example of how you do an ongoing arc driven series.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I really enjoyed a couple of the TV movies. B5 will be a must-buy for me. Easily one of the best SF shows in history, certainly in the top 5 of the 90's. Only an awkward start to the first season and running in place at the start of the fifth brings it down a notch. I know the threat of a 4th season premature end made JMS speed up his arc, I really feel it gave the series a gripping "can't miss a moment" quality that really helped - at the time. I would have loved to see it play out as he planned, though.

And, damn it, he stuck the landing! How often does that happen? B5 should be a textbook example of how you do an ongoing arc driven series.
and so rarely nowdays are series given the chance to finish the their story lines to their conclusions. It's a happy day!!

Baenwort

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Cee
I'm really excited about the blue ray news!

I do wish they would do a mixed format release so that fans could recreate the SFX and make a fan edit with the 16:9 live action portion.

Doing CGI that would be an improvement is now cheaply within reach of home users and there are some fan created assets that could be used (and have for fan films) but that would never be economical for the studio to duplicate.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I would be fine with both. And I guess put me in a group of one for preferring the Copeland score.

As something of a completionist, I would like to have both scores available, too. I have a copy of the Japanese LD of "The Gathering", so I'm good as far as that goes. But I certainly understand the desire to have a consistent composer across the entire series.

On edit: I should say that I would happiest if the version in the BD set was the Producer's Cut with the Franke score, with the original version with the Copeland score being a bonus feature.

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I am all for a re-do of B5's effects, they looked like video game effects from the get-go. But really, are the originals so beloved that they need to remain even as an option? This is one series I would be 100% behind a total SFX reconstruction. CGI replaced by much better CGI.

It depends on one's perspective, but I think that most people would prefer the show the way it was originally, warts and all. With the Blu-ray set of Star Trek: The Original Series, I have a choice of watching the episodes with the original 1960's VFX, or CGI redos. Other than randomly checking out the redos to see what they're like, I always watch the episodes with the original effects (and with the original mono audio tracks).

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
It depends on one's perspective, but I think that most people would prefer the show the way it was originally, warts and all.

I get it, for the sake of keeping it true to the original presentation. B5's effects were revolutionary for the day but never matched the live action. I always felt like we were going from film to a video game and back again. Today they could do a shot for shot recreation with MUCH better results, added film grain and very high resolution. It would open up the series dramatically.

But I wouldn't deprive a fan from his or her original versions if they really wanted them...

With the Blu-ray set of Star Trek: The Original Series, I have a choice of watching the episodes with the original 1960's VFX, or CGI redos. Other than randomly checking out the redos to see what they're like, I always watch the episodes with the original effects (and with the original mono audio tracks).
Same and same. Always the mono, but most don't have the original NBC sound mix (a long winded topic for another time), and with the original effects.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
It depends on one's perspective, but I think that most people would prefer the show the way it was originally, warts and all.
Regarding Star Trek TOS, I wouldn't necessarily agree with that assumption. While I don't agree that all the changes made were for the better, I find that the majority work better for me. I never watch the original SFX now. Like in many cases, those that didn't approve tend to be louder contributors than those that approved. Luckily, it never became an issue since both were provided.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

Actually, the last episode of the Series was filmed at the end of production for Season 4! After they were (surprisingly) renewed for a fifth season, they held that ep back until the end of Season 5 ...

Ya' know ... This is typical for me. Just two weeks ago I gave up on ever getting a Blu-ray set of this series and purchased the HD Digital complete series version off iTunes. (For $49.95.) Then last week iTunes reduced the price to $39.95. And now the announcement of the Blu-ray set! Some days you just can't win ...

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Actually, the last episode of the Series was filmed at the end of production for Season 4! After they were (surprisingly) renewed for a fifth season, they held that ep back until the end of Season 5 ...
Yep, that's why certain people were in the cast and the credits well after leaving the series. But the story would have been the same. IIRC JMS knew exactly how he was ending the series from the start.

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I would love to have seen the network give Excaliber a longer shot, and better writing. I think it might have grown legs!! Rangers spinoff was fun, but I didn't see a series in it. Maybe mash the two spinoffs together add better scripts....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks