What's new

B&W Fronts 704,705,805 - which ones? (1 Viewer)

Andy@K

Auditioning
I'm in the market for new main speakers in my home theater. I will use these speakers primarily for home theater use (80% of time), but would also use listening to music (20% of time). Listed below are the other components in my system:

Center - B&W 600 Series 2 (CC6 S2)
Sub - B&W ASW 1000
Rear - B&W DS6 (Dipole surround)
AV Receiver - Yamaha 2095

Since I want to match up my fronts with my other speakers, I'm partial to B&W. Particularly the 700 series and 805 since they're in my price range. Will the speakers I mentioned be adequate for this use? I like a fuller sound, so I like the 3-way speakers (703), but, a little pricey. Would the 704's, 705's, or 805's work well with my system for both listening to music and Home Theater use?

Thanks!
Andy

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Maybe my own recent speaker purchases may help???

I'm in the process of completing a 704, HTM 7 and DM 600-S3 setup (with an M&K sub.) I feel these speakers all have a similar sound with the 700 series speakers being a bit more open. (Plus space in back is at a premium so 705's are out.)

I am probably 60/40 HT/Music so the better integrated bass of the 704's pushed me that way. Otherwise, I might have went with the 705's in L/R front.

One thing I noticed is that, to my ears, the 703's FST mid-range makes it have a slightly different tonal quality than the other 700 series speakers. While not a bad thing at all, if one is after a close sonic matchup, the 705, 704 and HTM 7 sound very much alike (to me.) The 703 seems closer to the 800 series to me.

Also, you don't specifically mention it, but I would recommend going bigger than the CC6. I admit that the HTM 7 is kinda physically big but it is also a good deal bigger sonic presence than your current model.

Anyway, no matter what you do, I think you'll be happy with the new speakers. B&W's are great values...

Andy@K

Auditioning
Thanks for your input Chuck! I realize that the HTM 7 would be a better fit if I went with the 700 series for mains, but, I didn't want to spend the money for that at this time. Do you think that the CC6 will match up ok with the 700 series? I was told that all the B&W lines match up pretty well.

Thanks!
Andy

Andy@K

Auditioning
I'm also kind of confused on whether I'll notice that much of a difference if I go with the 700 series as opposed to getting an exact match with the 604 Series3 for the mains. Is the 700 series that much better in my situation with my current configuration? Additionally, the 604's are not as attractive as the 700 series. What are your thoughts?

Thanks!
Andy

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Andy: I think the CC6 will work ok... But it's good to keep in mind that a great deal of standard TV and movie sound plays through that center speaker. A better speaker in the middle will make it's presence known!

To my ears, the 700 series is a bit more open on the top end than the 600's. Not a huge amount but noticeable to me. I consider myself to be quite sensitive to "brighter" sounding speakers. For me, this has been one of the great things about hearing the 700's. They are an open window to the sound and yet, I don't hear that bright "edge". I also have found the 700's to throw an image better than the 600's. (Maybe because of the tweeter being more out in the open?)

I have a friend who has an all 600 series setup with 604 S3's up front. The 604's sound great to me. They will play quite loud if you want them to. But the upper frequencies are not quite up to the 704's or 703's capabilities. And maybe for that reason (?) the 604's don't image quite as well either.

Keep in mind I'm talking degrees here, not huge differences. The key to your own happiness is to listen and compare...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks