What's new

B&w Asw650 (1 Viewer)

SteveDev

Agent
Does anyone have this sub or tested it?

What are their thoughts on it's performance. The numbers posted in the brochure are great, but then, of course they are!

It appears to have a better "wife-acceptance" factor than others!

Thanks.

Ned

Supporting Actor
B+W aren't too great in the subwoofer segment. High prices relative to mediocre performance. Decide if the WAF is the ruling factor in your purchase. Even if it is, there are some much better choices.

Ned

Supporting Actor
What's the best price you can get on this unit, then we'll go from there on its value and competition.

Greg Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
I too have one. Took a while (2 weeks) for it to break in properly. Sounds great. Currently paired up with my B&W CDM NT speakers. No issues with either music or movies. -gh

Greg Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
You might wan't to check out the ASW 675 as well. It's actually smaller (physical dimensions) - using a 10 inch long throw woofer, sealed and 500watt plate amp.

The ASW CM is technically identical to the ASW675 just a different look.

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
B&W TRADITIONALLY has been weak in the SUB arena, BUT I have been told that this is all been changed with the latest subs, so throw ALL of the prior opinions of B&W subs out the window,and listen to it and give it a fair shot.

Ned

Supporting Actor
I love B+W but come on, a 10" driver in a small, sealed box? It probably sounds great for music but there's no way it can belt out the really low stuff at high levels.
But I have to remember that we all have varying desires for bass. One of the best subs I've ever heard are the dual B+W THX subs (the passive, ported, triangular enclosures). They were tuned to 26hz and could make your knees wobble. But I digress :)

SteveDev

Agent
The 675 is somewhere along the lines of $1500 and out of my price range. The best price I've gotten so far on the 650 was $850 + tax. All prices CDN dollars.

Could get a Paradigm PW-2200 for slightly less, but it is positively huge and I don't think I could fit it in the family room without the thing absolutely standing out. Did have a bit more "umph" than the B&W though, although this could be due to its ported design vs. the B&W sealed.

I could also get the Mirage BPS-150 for less, but haven't heard great things about this sub either.

I'm also looking at the VTF-2 (HSU) and SVS25-31. But not sure I want to go the internet route, and the 25-31 is huge at 16"diameter by 31" high! But the reviews on these subs is great.

Looking for a sub geared more towards movies than music. Oddly enough the guy at the high-end store selling the B&W's insisted anyone who says music doesn't go as low as movies are full of it and that a sub that is great for music should by definition be great for movies as well.

Ned

Supporting Actor
Music can and does go just as low as movies.
But who listens to music at peaks of 105-115db :D
$1500 is ridiculous considering what you'd get for movie output. I suppose if you're not a complete weirdo you could come over and hear my SVS :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks