Yamaha HTR5790, enough power?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by BradWI, Jul 3, 2004.

1. BradWI

BradWI Auditioning

Jun 27, 2004
    Okay, thanks to many responses from everyone, I think I have come up with my new system to purchase:

2 B&W DM603 S3 Fronts
    1 B&W LCR600 S3 Center
    2 B&W CDS6 S3 Sides (monopole or Diapole capabilities)
    2 B&W CCM65 S3 Rears
    Round out with a B&W ASW650 Sub

I am running this with the Yamaha HTR5790.

System is mainly for Hometheater, but will also be for music. Room size is 14x22.

Does this sound like a good setup?
    I know if I spent additional $$, I could get an amp(s) etc, but do I really need one initially for this to sound good and have enough power?
    What is a good amp to buy if it is needed... would I use that to run the front and center, having the Yamaha run the rest?
  2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Jul 19, 2002
    Sounds like a very good setup. The 5790 should do you just fine. Its tested actual power with all channels driven was a bit low (37 x 7 i beleive) but it's real world dynamic power has been sufficient for it to merrit very good reviews both here on the HTF and elsewhere. You may want to add an external amp later on but I would get just the receiver first and see if you feel the need. If you do decide to add amps later on Rotel is always a good match for B&W. Check ebay and audiogon.. the Rotel 985 (5 x 100 @ 8ohm) is available used around $500 and there are good 2ch amps available for even less. If you added a 5ch amp you would power the mains, center, and sides with it. If you added a 2ch amp you would just power the mains with it.

As for the sub I think you can do better for the money. B&W makes great speakers but their subs leave a lot to be desired for the price you'll pay. I would look at SVS, HSU, and if you can do it DIY really offers the best bang for the buck.
  3. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Jul 2, 2003
    What Stephen said. And if you add amps later, that Yamaha will make an *EXCELLENT* processor. It has every doo-dad you could ever want...or well, use.