What's new

B&K Ref. 200.1 Mono-blocks.... (1 Viewer)

Paul D. K.

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking for feedback from those that own or have personally tried B&K's Ref. 200.1 mono-blocks. What speakers are you driving? What is your impression of them as it relates to music/movies? Thanks.

Yogi

Screenwriter
I have tried several of B&K amps but not the monoblocks but what my experience is surely applies to the monoblocks. They could only be better than what I have to say about their stereo and multichannel amps.

The B&K amps are very musical. In fact IMHO they are the most musical amps in their price range. They are laidback sounding with the soundstage pushed well behind the speakers. They have a nice lush midrange sort of like a tube amp and a solid bottom end (they have MOSFET output devices). I have mated them with bright speakers like Klipschs and with warm speakers like Vienna acoustics and they sound just as musical with every one of them. So you will never have to worry about speaker mating like you have to with some of the more forward sounding amps. Again all this is to my ears so YMMV.

my 2 cents.

Chip E

Screenwriter
That's good to know Yogi. Eventually i'd like to move to som B&W Nautilus speakers from my current PSB Stratus series. I haven't demo'd my B&K amps with B&W speakers but, i bet they would work great together. That lush,solid B&K sound mated with B&W's more in your face upper end sound.....sounds like it could be a winner.

Paul D. K.

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for everyone's response.

Well, I finally went and did it (I've been researching for over 3 months). I'm returning my N804's and I'm going to sell my N803's so I can go with N802's all around. I really love the fuller sound of the mid and upper range of the N802's. I'm put off getting a subwoofer(s) until I hear what having N802's all around does for us. My wife doesn't like a lot of bass (i.e. the idea of a sub-woofer does not please her) but she did love the sound of the N802's, so this may actually work for us. I ordered Ref. 200.1 mono-blocks all around (to go with the Ref. 50 Pre/Pro) so that I can limit the length of speaker cable (4' or less) and go with longer XLR interconnects - especially for the 60' runs for the rears.

Tremendous amount of money (almost more than one of my cars). I hope it's worth it in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks