What's new

Velodyne DD-15's or B&W Nautilus 850's? (1 Viewer)

Paul D. K.

Stunt Coordinator
I'm upgrading my Home Theater/Music set-up. I've made a decision on all of the equipment except for the subs. I need user feedback on the Velodyne DD-15's and the B&W Nautilus ASW 850's. My local high-end shop doesn't stock either one - but will order. From the specs they both seem to be very good subs.

My set-up:

Thanks to feedback on HTF, lengthy discussions with my local merchant, and after in-depth discussions with several manufacturers, I've decided to buy a B&K Ref. 50, Ref. 200.1 mono-blocks for the L,C,R and a Ref. 200.2 for the rears. I'll have B&W 803's for fronts and rears (until I can afford some B&W 802's for the fronts - after I've paid for all this stuff) and an HTM1 for the center.

My room:

23'8" (L) x 23' (W) x 8'(H). Rear wall has 16'(W) x 4'6" (H) bank of windows. Three doors - all can be closed. One massive masonry fireplace (unfortunately in the wrong place - that's another reason why I'm not going with 7 channels today).

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
i would suggest against the B&W sub. the DD-15 blows it away in all aspects. room acoustics dont matter with the velodyne because it can compensate for any problems in the room.

thats kinda interesting, the store i work at carries ALL the same stuff. good choice on all the gear though. we have all those on display though :) maybe you should shop with us?

Paul D. K.

Stunt Coordinator
Other than the room equalization, which I may be able to do with an EQ meter or in some other manner, how does the Velodyne surpass the B&W? They're both 1000+ watts, 15" driver, and have an enclosed cabinet design.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Velodyne is almost exclusivelly only makes subs.They are truely one of the pioneers of this concept.While their price/performance ratio to me isn't that attractive[I favour DIY subs see my link below]they quality is undenyable.
Unless you set yourself on one of those,I suggest you investigate other options.There are people here who can build you a sub for your specifications,and still come under those prices you willing to pay for those two subs.

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
The Velodyne is a servo controlled sub. I believe the B&W is not. The servo is a different sounding sub, usually less distortion than non-servo subs.

Paul D. K.

Stunt Coordinator
Is a "different sounding" sub a good thing or bad?

Unfortunately, my local dealer doesn't have either one in stock so I can't demo them.

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
Servo subs have very low distortion as I mentioned above. Usually something like .3 to .5%. The servo system samples the input signal many times per second and won't allow the cone to move except in response to the input signal. It down't have the overring (for want of a better term)of a non-servo conventional sub. Many sub manufacturers don't publish the distortion figures because they would scare you.

Servo subs are supposedly much truer to the input signal. I know when I got my Velodyne HGS-18, which replaced a Velodyne non-servo sub, I was absolutely amazed at how much cleaner the bass was.

Now, how does this compare to a B&W? Unfortunately, I have no idea since I've never heard a B&W. Our local B&W dealer uses a Velodyne HGS-18 in his demo theater with the other speakers in the set being B&W.

I'm not suggesting the B&W might not sound better to you. I was only pointing out that they are very different technically. Personally, I would never be without a servo-sub, but that's me. You might like something different. That's why it's really hard to buy until you've heard the various choices for yourself.

Deane

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Servo is a double "edge sword",while low distorsion is a good thing,it can severely affect max output,and limit dynamics.Velodyne's under 1% target is more of "bragging" right then practicle goal as anything under 5% is very tough to hear,if at all in real world conditions due the ears decreased sensetivity to lower frquencies.In any case Velodyne makes quality subs though they're pricy.

Paul D. K.

Stunt Coordinator
Deane-

My local dealer, that sells both, is recommending the Velodyne as well. I guess I was hoping that there was overwhelming response to this thread that the B&W was better so that I felt justified staying within the same speaker family; and aesthetically it matched the rest of the system.

Thanks for your responses.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks