What's new

B&K Amp Remote Trigger Question (1 Viewer)

Christopher Dopp

Auditioning
I recently purchased a B&K AV2500 II Amplifier and want to have it turn on when i turn on my receiver. The Amplifier has a RCA jack on the back labeled CTRL-IN which is designed to allow remote switching of mute on/off. The amplifier will operate when a 5-24V signal is applied to Ctrl-In.
I have purchased a 12V 1000mA Power Adapter from Radio Shack and some RCA jacks that attach to the wire with a screw. I planned to hook up the screw on RCA jack to the adapter wire, plug it in to the CTRL-IN jack and hook up the adapter to the switched outlet on my receiver.
One problem I have is that the output from the Power Adapter has two wires (+ & -) but the amp only has one RCA jack. I assume that i am to only hook up one of the two leads to the RCA jack as it only has one screw connector, but I'm not sure.
I don't want to damage my amplifier so I hope someone can help me.
Should i just connect the RCA jack to the postive lead and hook that up to the Amps CTRL-IN? Am i supposed to hook up both wires to the RCA jack?
Any suggestions would be appreciated
------------------

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
If you only hook up one of the leads from the "brick" adapter, you won't have any current flowing. You have to hook up both leads and complete the circuit to get 12V into your amp. Probably doesn't make much sense unless you're an electrician or elec. engineer.
Bottom line: The only problem I would see is if you get the positive and negative reversed at the RCA jack. Typical convention is that the center is positive and the housing is negative (return). I'd give your amp manufacturer a call before hooking it up to verify. If you do reverse the positive and negative, you could blow out the "amp on" control circuitry. The amp manufacturer should be able to confirm this.
Good luck.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Chris,
On my Rotel RMB-1066 I had to do the same thing. I picked up a 6v Power adapter and hooked it into my amp's +12V trigger in and everything is fine. The power adapter came with a tip that can be +/- depending on the way you put it together. Since my manual states +12V trigger signal(3 to 30v) I am assuming the tip must be positive. So far everything is okay, though I think I will fire of an e-mail to Rotel to verify.
Kevin

Rob Roth

Stunt Coordinator
Simplest solution is to just leave the amp on. I keep my B&K 307 in 'standby' and my 7250 amp 'on' at all times except when travelling. The B&K's use high biased mosfets in an AB class operation- they'll produce some heat in standby but its better than power cycles.

Steven Lin

Grip
The B&K Ref 30 uses positive tip when outputing a control signal, so I would expect any B&K amp to expect the same.
Christopher, you need to hook up both wires from the AC adapter to the RCA jack. Positive goes to tip, negative goes to the collar.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks