What's new

Here's the new Outlaw newsletter!!! (1 Viewer)

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Latest News From The Outlaws: March, 2002 Edition
Who says the Outlaws are always late? We're bringing the "March" issue of our monthly Newsletter to you on time. (Isn't this a Leap Year with 29 days in February? No? Opps…). If that isn't enough, we said we'd have news about a new product before the end of February, and that we'd ship it before the first pitch of the Major League Baseball season. We're going to make good on that promise. In fact, there may be some interesting news about all kinds of products here, so read on.
NEW PRODUCT ANNOUNCEMENT
Yes, we know there is a particular Outlaw product that many of you are interested in, but since we said we'd make a new product announcement, that has to come first lest we take some flack in the various forums.
OK, the speculation has been interesting, and dare we say, rampant. In fact, the on-line community has provided us with both humor and some good ideas as they attempted to guess what our first new product announcement would be for 2002. Much to our surprise, no one even came close to guessing what it is!
Here's the answer: As long-time Outlaws know, our first product was the Model 750 amplifier. A great product and a great value. It helped us launch the company and it has won praise from reviewers and customers worldwide, not to mention quite a few awards along the way. However, though our sales pace indicates that the Model 750 could go on forever, the "first-in/first-out" rule says that it is time to refresh our product line a bit.
Thus, as we shed a tear to see our first-born go into retirement, we are very pleased to announce that within the next two weeks we will begin shipping a new amplifier, the Model 755.
The Model 755 is built in the solid tradition of the Model 750, but it also takes advantage of design advances developed for the Model 770. This means that the 755 uses the same space-saving dual torriod transformer power supply which allows it to deliver high power in a space-saving design in the space constraints of standard cabinets, shelves or equipment racks. (Provided of course, that they are capable of supporting the weight of this baby. There's a LOT of metal inside!) The Model 755's topology mirrors that of the Model 770 with five (!) pairs of output devices per channel, the same upgraded input jacks and speaker terminals and the same advanced output protection circuit.
The result is that the Model 755 is able to provide a significant power increase over the Model 750. As you will see in the specifications that follow below, the Model 755 is indeed a powerhouse, with rated output of 200 watts per channel at eight ohms, and an astounding 300 watts per channel at 4 ohms (ALL channels driven, 20 Hz - 20KHz, 0.05% THD).
Within 24 hours of the time you receive this, you will be able to look at pictures of the Model 755 on the web site, and the specs will be there as well. However for those who can't wait, here they are:
Model 755 Technical Specifications
Power output: 200 watts RMS x 5 (all channels driven simultaneously into 8 ohms from 20 Hz to 20 kHz with less than 0.05% total harmonic distortion) 300 watts RMS x 5 @ 4 ohms (other conditions same as above)
S/N: 119 dB
Power Bandwidth: 5 Hz - over 100 kHz (+0/-3 dB)
Damping factor: 850 (10 Hz - 400 Hz)
Input sensitivity/Impedance: 1.43 volts for full output/28 k ohms
Crosstalk: Greater than -90 dB from 20 Hz to 20 KHz
Gain: Voltage gain of 28 dB
Slew rate: 50 Volts/microsecond
Remote Trigger voltage: 3 - 32 volts AC
Power requirements: 115 V 50-60 Hz
Dimensions (W x H x D): 17.2 x 7.75 x 18 (inches)
Weight: Approximately 78 Pounds
NOTE: ALL SPECIFICATIONS ARE EFFECTIVE AS OF THE DATE OF PRINTING OR INITIAL ELECTRONIC POSTING AND SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE OR OBLIGATION TO MODIFY EXISTING PRODUCTS
As a close to this new product announcement, some may ask why we are introducing a five channel amplifier at a time when many home theater enthusiasts are moving to six and seven channel systems. The answer comes to us daily in the continued sales of the Model 750, and from the inquiries we receive from consumers. With both the 755 and the 770 available, we leave the choice of a five or seven channel configuration up to you. The Model 755, as the Model 750 before it, will also find a home in systems where the Model 1050 is used as a preamp, but where higher amplifier power is required. In addition, a surprising number of customers tell us they have been using the Model 750 for a variety of non-traditional applications such as bi-amping, multi-room systems and other creative situations. With more power, the Model 755 is a worthy successor to the Model 750.
On a final note, our inventory of both new production and "B Stock" Model 750 units are completely sold out. However, the Model 755 is currently in production, and will be available for shipment shortly. For those few customers who have been placed on back-order for a Model 750, we will ship a Model 755 at no additional charge.
We will begin taking orders for the Model 755 early next week at the posted price of $1,299. In addition, we are pleased to offer a "Family Price" discount of $50 to anyone who has become a member of the Outlaw family by virtue of their purchase of any current or previous Outlaw electronics product (Model 750, Model 1050 or ICBM). We will also offer a combination price for the purchase of a Model 755 in combination with a Model 950 at $2,099 (a total savings of almost $100).
Hmm, did someone say Model 950?
MODEL 950 NEWS
OK, here is the news you have been waiting for. The Beta test for the Model 950 is to all intents and purposes complete. A tip of our cowboy hats to our intrepid external beta testers and to the numerous internal beta testers who have helped us to put the Model 950 through its paces and to let us know both the good and the bad so that we could wring out all the bugs. We have made the modifications necessary to resolve issues raised by the testers, whose total number is over 20. This means that we are now able to burn the final software and the units are going into final production and assembly as you read this. We're also putting the final touches on the manual and the remotes are in the air to our warehouse as well.
It will take a bit of time for each of the production units to be tested before shipment, and as soon as everything is complete the first batch will be sent over by air. At the same time, additional production is underway. Those units will be shipped via "fast boat" so that they will reach our shores as soon as possible. Given the vagaries of freight, customs clearance and the fact that we will conduct additional incoming testing at our warehouse, it would be silly to peg an exact ship date after all the delays to date. Barring any problems along the way, we are comfortable with an estimate that the first units will ship during the third week in March.
Anticipating that schedule, we will begin contacting those who have placed a reservation starting some time within the next week or so. Please note that to make things fair to all, and to expedite the process, we will use a slightly different method for verifying the reservations than we have in the past. Rather than try to locate everyone by phone, we will contact you electronically with complete details on how to complete turn your reservation into a firm order.
The process is simple and the message will contain all the needed details. However, a few items are particularly relevant at this time:
· We have had a number of inquiries from people who were concerned that they will be out of town when the electronic message containing the order confirmation information arrives. To avoid having anyone lose his or her place in line, the process includes a thirteen-day window during which you may confirm your order. The Outlaws travel more than they would like, and we understand the problem. We don't want anyone who has waited this long to be passed over. · We certainly expect that not everyone who has placed a reservation will purchase a Model 950. Some may have changed their mind, some may have already purchased another product, and some may have decided to wait a while before purchasing. That's fine; we understand. If you do not wish to turn your Model 950 reservation into an order the process is simple: You don't have to do anything at all. By not confirming your order during the allocated window, we will automatically cancel your reservation and will pass to the next person on the list.
· Due to the initial short supply of the Model 950, Model 770 and the Model 755, each reservation will be limited to one unit of each model reserved. Once everyone on the reservation list has been contacted and given a chance to place an order, we will be pleased to give priority status to any Outlaw customer who wishes to order additional units. · Please remember that each reservation is assigned to the individual who placed the original reservation and is not transferable.
· PLEASE do not call or e-mail to inquire about your place in line or to find out when you will get your order confirmation message. We'll be very busy with all the details needed to process a large number of shipments during the next few weeks. That type of call or e-mail will delay your order as well as everyone else's. We reserve the right to cancel any reservations as circumstances dictate.
More on the Model 950: We would like to reply to the two most frequently asked questions that our beta testers have not been able to answer. We're pleased to fill that gap at this time.
First, we receive messages daily requesting the details of the "Family" and package pricing for the Model 950. Since the ship date is imminent, it is time to release that information.
· Model 950 standard pricing: $ 899
· Model 950 "Family Pricing: $ 849 ( a discount of $50)
· Model 950/Model 770 Package Price: $ 2,499 ( a discount of almost $200)
· Model 950/Model 755 Package Price: $ 2,099 ( a discount of almost $100)
Note that the "Family Price" is available to anyone who has previously purchased an Outlaw Electronics product (Model 750, Model 1050 or ICBM-1). There is no additional Family pricing on the package prices, as the discounts are already included.
The second most frequently asked question, other than the actual ship date, has been a request for the Model 950's technical specifications. The preliminary specs below should be 99% accurate, but we will verify these specs again when we receive an actual production unit.
OUTLAW AUDIO MODEL 950
PRELIMINARY SPECIFICATIONS
March 1, 2002
AUDIO SECTION
ANALOG
Frequency response: 10 Hz - 90 kHz: +0, -3 dB (Bypass Mode)
Signal to Noise Ratio: 102 dB (Bypass Mode)
Distortion: 0.0038% (20 Hz ~ 20 kHz) (Bypass Mode)
Input sensitivity / input impedance: 200 mV/ 47kohms
Rated output: 1V(0dB gain in Bypass Mode)
DIGITAL
Signal to Noise Ratio: 102 dB
Total Harmonic Distortion:

Serge Breton

Supporting Actor
Blah, blah, blah,

Delays, delays!

Ahh well, we are so close and i have waited so long that i may as well just wait (and be quiet).

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
Well this must be a misprint.
They spec the 755/770 amp as
Remote Trigger voltage: 3 - 32 volts AC
But yet on the 950 they say:
Trigger Outputs (x2): 12 VDC, 100 mA maximum
Why would it be AC and Not DC? :thumbsdown:

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
Update from Scott at OutLaw:

Hello Jerry,

The proper specification is 3-32 volts DC. I apologize for the confusion. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any other questions.

Best Regards,

Scott

AntonS

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, here are some lame excuses fro Outlaw.
As you all compare the Model 950 to products that cost two, three, four or more times the price of the Model 950 we only ask that you keep in mind that there is a difference between offering parity on sonics with more expensive products and offering parity on certain hardware based features.
"You all"? That's just not fair. The Outlaw themselves started the hype of comparing 950 to more expensive models. Few beta testers are not "all" either. Even they actually found that some models do sound better (Lexicon - no surprise), and nobody yet had a chance to compare 950 to some new models of preamps and even receivers (don't start on B&K 370, it's obsolete).
Anyway, I wish they did not write that stuff at all. Sometimes silence really is golden.
Btw, don't get me wrong, I'm not "bashing" the 950. For the money it's a very good product. I'd buy one myself if it had just a couple more features. But for Christ's sake, don't compare it to "products that cost two, three, four or more times". It's just not there and never intended to be there.
Venting is over :) I feel now I'm going to take some "bashing"... Oh well, bash away :)

Patrick R. Sklenar

Second Unit
Anyway, I wish they did not write that stuff at all. Sometimes silence really is golden.
Anton,
I'm sure that if you wrote to Outlaw and asked politely, they'd be willing to remove your address from their mailing list. Then you could avoid looking at any thread whose title mentions an Outlaw Newsletter. And that point, you wouldn't be seeing "that stuff". ;)
Actually, the Outlaws are in a stereotypical no win situation. If they post information and answers to questions, they get lambasted for "leading people on". If they don't post information or answers, they get lambasted with posts discussing "how bad the product must be that they won't discuss it".
Personally, and I can't speak for anyone else but myself, I like to see these newsletters and the information and explinations they provide. But, as the old saying goes, you can't please everyone and the Outlaw's are sure living proof of that!

AntonS

Stunt Coordinator
Patrick,
The Outlaw mentioned Free Speech - I'm going along with it :) By "that stuff" I meant their explanations, not the newsletter itself. I don't mind getting explanations, it's just that I think that those ones were quite lame. Why not answer honestly without any hype? Just say - okey, in order for us to keep the price low, we just had to drop few features and move production to China. What do you guys expect for the price? Instead they compare the 950 to much more expensive models again and again, and say that 950 performs on the same level or even better. Then few lines down, in contrast to what they just said, they go into explanations on how they really had to cut corners and drop features. Features that all those more expensive models have. On top of that they say that we are bashing their product. Who exaclty was bashing? I can't recall. Or pointing on missing features and discussing consequences of not having them is now called "bashing"?

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Anton,
My understanding is that they claim that the 950 sounds like a pre/pro that costs two to three times as much, and from RAF's reports, it sounds like that they succeeded. It shouldn't be any suprise that it might lack some features that these higher end pre/pros have. I mean, there is a reason why they cost that much. That being said, it sounds like it has most of the basic features that most people would need. Yes, it is lacking a phono port and an RF port, but that's a minority of us who needs that functionality (and can add it on externally, if need be).
What I see in the Outlaw is the entry-level into the seperates market. For just a hare over $2000, people can experience the benefits of seperates, and it probably sounds pretty good for the price. I wouldn't discount that.
All Outlaw is saying, if you feel like you get more value out of the Anthem, or the Rotel, go right ahead. They probably weren't designing a product for you anyways. Not everyone can spend $2000 for a pre/pro.
Personally, I'm not in the market for the 950. I'm still happy with my Denon 3300. It does give me food for thought about what may be in the future of my upgrade path.
Jason

J

John Morris

Oh my gawd. When will all these yapping dogs just go away. Don't these folks have ANYTHING better to do with their time? These are the kind of folks who NO ONE ever wants to hang around with. Nothing but negative, negative, negative. They must live a very, very sad life.

Does HTF have a killfile that I can engage in my Options?

Larry B

Screenwriter
Merc:
I will probably never own a 950 (oops, never say never), but I read all the threads anyway, just to learn. But you've now given me an unexpected bonus: a good laugh. Thanks. :)
Larry

AntonS

Stunt Coordinator
Oh my gawd. When will all these yapping dogs just go away. Don't these folks have ANYTHING better to do with their time? These are the kind of folks who NO ONE ever wants to hang around with. Nothing but negative, negative, negative. They must live a very, very sad life.
:):):)
That's just too good. Somebody talking about negativity in a form of personal attack. That's the way you suggest making friends? :)
On a serious note, I think that writing praising dithyrambs does not have any more value than mindless bashing. I thought the Outlaw explanations were somehow not honest and their arguments were dubious. If you disagree and want to argue, you are welcome, but don't sink into the mud of personal attacks.

Patrick R. Sklenar

Second Unit
Anton,
Based on your "smiley", I suspect you noticed it, but just to be sure, please notice the "wink smiley" at the end of the first paragraph in my last reply to you about "that stuff". :)
Also, I hope you don't think I was accusing you of being a basher. Because I certainly wasn't. I was just pointing out in general that the Outlaws are in a no-win situation. That part of my post wasn't directed specifically at you. I just didn't separate it enough from my actual reply to you. Opps. :b

J

John Morris

On a serious note, I think that writing praising dithyrambs does not have any more value than mindless bashing. I thought the Outlaw explanations were somehow not honest and their arguments were dubious. If you disagree and want to argue, you are welcome, but don't sink into the mud of personal attacks.
AntonS: Sorry, but I don't know what a dithyramb is, and I just can't waste the time to go and look it up. If you want to ask for help, or an opinion on something, I'd be glad to help you if I can. Otherwise, like I've already stated, I have no time, nor patience anymore for repetitive bitching and bashing and just don't feel the need to disagree with those folks who do continue to repetitively bitch and bash about the same boring stuff. Frankly, responding to that nonsense just seems to give credence to their moans and serves to actually extend the bitching.

All I want to do is get back to helping folks with their A/V questions and to enjoying the movies and music.

Richard Powers

Auditioning
Hello HTF members! I've been reading the board for awhile and finally took the plung and registered. By the way, excellent forum. Between the Outlaw Saloon, HTF, and Home Theater Spot, I feel I can get any info I need to make an informed decision within the HT realm. :emoji_thumbsup:
As for Anton's response to the Outlaws newsletter. I file that under "No good deed goes unpunished".:)

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
Wow, I have to make sure and follow this thread as things are heating up:)
Glad I sat this one out, oh well back to my "drinking the Kool-Aid" thread:D

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Merc. Could somebody please tell me again how the Outlaw doesnt have time delays? Could somebody please tell me again how it is not upgradeable? Oh yeah, also I heard it has a green button and stupid logo, could somebody please elaborate some more? Listen, anyone who reads this forum knows I am not a vocal supporter of Outlaw but I am still on the list. I just do not understand why people who have ordered or own more expensive gear and have stated that they have no interest in something like the Outlaw continue to post in these threads just to remind us little people why they did not want the Outlaw. I am just getting sick of the same old people claiming why the Outlaw is so inferior to their new product. Listen, the Outlaw could never ever compete with such great pieces of machines like the Lex or Anthem or even a Kenwood receiver for that matter. Does that make everything better now? Alright, that was a little commentary on my part, just sick of seeing the same old arguments, but I must in the minority. Time to zipper up the old flame retardent suit. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks