What's new

Axioms or Rockets (1 Viewer)

I am looking at both Axioms & Rockets, but have not heard either. Axiom (M80's) or Rockets (750's). Both have great reviews from what I have read. Can anyone lead me to any one direction based on what they have heard or read.

Thanks

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Boy will this bring out the crowd! Let's put it this way. Both are great companies, both put out great products but different. The only true way to tell if you will like either one is to order both and send back the one you don't like. Period... eat the shipping its not that much for something that you will be living with for a long time. End of story. You will find as the time goes on many posts under this one that will come with folks in each camp. I am biased to the Rocket side.. I admit that up front. You will find just as many here biased to the Axiom side so really your question will get down to about a 50/50 split here. Always demo speakers in your own environment with your own equipment. Again with the amount of money your talking about in spending on either companies speakers, the shipping charges should not factor into your decision at all. Some folks that are really tight on a budget (again I have a hard time understanding that folks would complain about $50-$70 in shipping charges when your spending over $2K on speakers) just order like a center from each company and get a good sound wise idea that way. Just my usual two cents worth.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Mike’s post. I have not heard the Axioms, so I can make no comparison, other than the obvious one that the Rockets look very much better (of course you have to like rosewood or ebony).

AV123’s customer service is just outstanding (as Arthur mentions), but no doubt so too is Axiom’s.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
I own neither, but have heard the M60(similar to the M80) and the RS750.

Like Mike said...very different. Do yourself a favor and try to listen to both.

BobAlbano

Second Unit
I would second, third, and fourth all of the posts here as it is best listen to the speakers as what we might like, you might not. Good luck with your decision!:cool:

keir

Stunt Coordinator
The frequency response is significantly different in the treble, the Axioms being more extended and the Rockets being more rolled off. The effect that has on their sound can only be described in terms of personal preference. I think its hard to tell which one you would like more unless you had heard them side by side or at the very least heard enough speakers in the past to establish your general preferences. As others have said, both brands have outstanding service.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
To add to Keir’s comment, the 750s are now shipping with a slightly changed crossover that adds just a bit more treble energy than they had before.

Mike_Gr

Stunt Coordinator
Steve,

Both are on par with each other in terms of value, quality, and customer service. I agree with what was said above regarding how different the two sound from one another and that its really a matter of your personal preference.

other than the obvious one that the Rockets look very much better (of course you have to like rosewood or ebony)
I don't think its wise to make a blanket statement such as Lew made. Some people prefer a finish that looks more polished or shiny while others prefer a matte finish and dislike any type of shine to the finish. It is really a matter of preference.

Furthermore, Axiom does offer high-gloss custom finishes that are similar to the finish on the Rockets. You can view them on Axiom's site but the high-gloss samples are not a very good representation (big understatement) of how they look in person. Anybody that is considering an Axiom custom finish should call or e-mail Axiom requesting a sample of the finish you want to see. When I did this, I expected to receive a small sample of the veneer itself. However, they sent the 3 samples I requested in the form of a 10x12" piece of MDF with the veneer applied. Not only that, but the samples included detachable mini-grilles so you have an idea of what the speaker will look like with the grill. Now that is what I call customer service!

Steve, in the event you decide you want to see some of the Axiom custom finish samples and for some reason Axiom no longer sends out these type of samples anymore, let me know and I will send you the two high-gloss samples I have (one is rosewood and the other dark cherry).

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
If anyone prefers the non-wood finish of the Axioms that is fine—which is why I mentioned you have to like the two woods available in the Rocket line. I know some spouses that don’t accept the polished rosewood look as being acceptable with their décor. This does not change my opinion of the quality of the cabinetwork on both speakers.

For me at least there is not a lot of comparison between the vinyl and wood finishes—but of course others may prefer the more artificial look—just as the black look of the Ascends has its supporters.

I have not seen the custom Axiom finishes. Do you get charged extra or are they available at the same price?

Naturally none of this has much to do with the sonic qualities.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I too have received samples of the Axiom new finish in a custom color along with the different colored grill samples. They do charge alittle more but its not much. While it would be fine for a bookshelf speaker it did not look good next to my solid wood huge entertainment center. If you were looking at the front it would not make much of a difference but in my position when you walk into the room the first thing you see is the side of a floorstander speaker next to the tall solid wood entertainment center. The vinyl even though its just about there look wise just did not do it for me or the wife. Again we are talking appearences here not anything to do with sound qualities. Sorry guys but for looks the carrot goes to Onix Rockets. You only have several color choices but they are real wood veneers not vinyl.

Mike_Gr

Stunt Coordinator
Lew,

In my initial response I in no way stated anything regarding cabinet quality. Furthermore, I never once mentioned anything regarding the material used (be it real wood or vinyl) on either finish. Rather, I only eluded to their overall appearance.

I simply think the use of the word 'obvious' in your statement implies that its universally accepted that all people do (or would)prefer the looks of the Rockets over the Axioms. It is really no different than if you had stated "other than the obvious one that the Rockets sound very much better". The looks of a speaker are just as subjective as its sound. What one may prefer; another may not.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
For me at least there is not a lot of comparison between the vinyl and wood finishes—but of course others may prefer the more artificial look—just as the black look of the Ascends has its supporters.
Hey....quit picking on the Ascends! :D Ofcourse I wouldn't mind if the Ascends had a choice of finishes.

The Rocket build quality is top notch. No matter what decor, they would draw attention. To me it could be a matter of matching the decor to the speakers or the speakers to the decor.

Having choices is great.

Here is a link to Axiom's custom finishes:
http://www.axiomaudio.com/customshop.html

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Hey Mike_Gr, I assume you are referring to my post. Let me explain. I in no way was referring to anything to do with sound only cosmetic looks which in my case had to come into the decision due to the location of equipment and my room. The only reason I even brought it up was because of the post above mine asking or referring to the looks department. Again sound wise they are very different speakers and one will have to decide which one is for them. The only proper way to do this is to order both and be willing to eat a little shipping on one return pair. After all this is alot of money to spend for most folks and the small shipping charge is peanuts compaired to how long you will probably be keeping which ever speaker system you prefer. Sorry if you took my post wrong. I think both companies are great and both products are equal but different sound wise. Does this clear it up a bit? Re: the Ascends... the thread was about tower speakers... I won't comment anymore... I know there are alot of you Ascend folks out there. I hope to try them at some point just to see for myself but I think you are talking about a different realm here than the tower Rockets or Axioms....
Quote from above post:
Furthermore, Axiom does offer high-gloss custom finishes that are similar to the finish on the Rockets.
They are custom finishes but they are still vinyl!

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Just curious how they are different?
Sound wise, I think they are opposites, both make very good speakers, good support, but for me the AXIOMS are more up front and bright, and the Rockets are Laid back and warm. I think axioms work very well in movies, and Rockets in music, but this is only my opinion, everybody has their own way that they like how everything should sound.

Jon_Krug

Stunt Coordinator
well, to chime in here about pablo's last statement... i had a chance to audition some of the original rocket 750's. after hearing them for music, i had a feeling that they were going to sound very bad for ht (i had spent most of that weekend watching movies at my friend's place with his m&k set up). very much to my surprise, the combination bet/ the 750's and the bigfoot blew me away. to explain this better... for ht speakers, it is assumed that a more forward speaker is supposed to be better. the 750's put out a large sound stage, which i didn't think i would like with movies. well, the rocket's center channel was very forward for me (in comparison to the 750's), and combined with the 750's sound stage, it made a great combination for me. for lotr, the voices were perfectly forward coming seemingly coming straight out of the center channel, while the music in the backround had an absolutely beautiful sound stage. so for me, i wanted something else for music, but was extremely over impressed about the rocket's ht performance. that being said, it would be difficult for me to imagine the axioms beating out rockets for ht. for music, with my tastes, i would probably have prefered the axioms, but i have never heard the axioms (please keep in mind that i am refering to the original 750's, not the sig's). i instead ended up going with the ref1 package, and if u can rationalize yourself a new budget, i highly highly recomend it.

BobAlbano

Second Unit
Joe Spratley, I have a Rocket Package 0 with the "Sig" 750's that I would be happy to let you audition if you are curious to hear the Rocket "sound". I also have a pair of the Ref 1's and their new ELT package at the house as well as some other goodies if you are interested in a demo. The Rockets are a very special speaker IMO and the perform admirably at both HT and Music. Let me know if you are game on hearing the Rockets for yourself!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks