What's new

AVR 520 have pre-outs? (1 Viewer)

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
Can you hook up an amp to the AVR 520? For the features and the price this is looking MIGHTY tempting.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Allen,
The 520 has 7.1 pre-outs but internal amping for 5 channels.
I agree...it is a winner. :emoji_thumbsup:

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
Wow, at that price I can't imagine passing that up. I could buy that in the beginning. Add a good amp later, then move to seperates after that. I can't believe the price on that for the features.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
It is a very popular receiver. Also know that the power from H/K is quite real, with excellent headroom and that the receivers will 'double down' or come very close to it depending on model/price class.

I have the 510 and am currently buying a Parasound 855A off of Ubid but do not anticipate using it until next year when we move to larger digs. The 510's power is more than I could ever use where I am presently.

Good Luck.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Count me in as a very happy 520 owner. You will be very hard pressed to find a better receiver in the 520's price range.

-Dean-

Sheldon

Stunt Coordinator
Well...I own the 510 and I must say it has ample power without adding additional amps,nice smooth clean sounding receiver.With that being said,I have 2 Rotel amps hooked into it and love it that much more.Allen,you should check out the H/K site for the specs or any other info you should need.

Bob_Lawrance

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Allen

Yes, you can hook up an amp to all 5 channels and the 7.1.

I have had mine for about four months now, and i love it, it sounds awesome.

Lando P

Agent
I got my Rotel RMB-1066 last week and hooked it up to my HK AVR-510 to power the main and center speakers, and all I can say is that I wish I had done it sooner.

I'm really impressed about having more headroom and greater soundstage even on the surrounds. Probably because much of the work load from the receiver's amp powering the fronts were directed to the surrounds. I tried it with my concert dvds and my wife - who isn't a home theater fan like me - commented that we were like in a concert hall. And all I was about to say was that we were like in a showroom of an audio/video store.

What they say about hearing more things that you don't hear before with only your receiver is true. Then I tried a couple of movies like the Perfect Storm and Harry Potter for their DD-EX surround (I have an old Pro-logic decoder that I use for my rear center) and the speakers really came alive. Not only am I so happy, ever since I got the RMB-1066, I couldn't wait to get home even just to try out my old dvds - movies and concert alike.

I might go for the separates with a pre/pro in the future but for now I'm very satisfied with my current set-up.

Bob_Lawrance

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Lando

Did you say you watched harry potter in 6.1 with the avr 510, i thought that HK does not support DD ES.

Lando P

Agent
No, HK doesn't support DD-EX. What I have is a homemade, pseudo DD-EX surround. It also works as DTS-Matrix when watching dvd's with DTS-ES surround format (like Gladiator).

I have this old pro-logic decoder that I'm using for my rear center. I had the L/R surround preamp outs connected to the L/R input of my decoder, then the L/R output from the decoder back to amplifier input of the HK510 (See page 17 of the owner's manual). Then I put the decoder into 3-channel logic, connect the rear center speaker to center speaker output from the decoder and there it is - 6.1 DD-EX/DTS-Matrix.

This should also work on old pro-logic receivers.

Bob_Lawrance

Stunt Coordinator
Lando P

So Lando, I have a avr 520, can i do the same thing as you for DD ES, I have an old technics recevier can i use it to do DD ES.

I know i can for DTS 6.1.

Thanks

Lando P

Agent
If your old receiver has pro-logic and audio outs then you can.

1) HK520's SR/SL preamp output to your old receiver's main L/R audio input.
2) Your receiver's main L/R audio output back to HK520's amplifier SR/SL input.
3) Connect your rear center speaker to the Technic's center speaker output.
4) Set your Technics receiver to 3-channel logic and match the rear center volume to your left/right surrounds and you're set to go.

Remember this set-up is only for DD-EX (Matrix) and DTS-Matrix surround. DTS-ES is another kind which has a discrete rear center channel.

StevenK

Second Unit
Personally I think the lack of DD-EX is a huge knock for the 520. I had it for a while and even tried it with an old Pro-Logic receiver for the rears and it kinda sucked IMO. I now have a Pioneer 811S and even this crappy POS rocks with true DD-EX decoding. Of course I have the benefit of having a separate amp to power the fronts and center....so YMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks