AVR-520: Concerned About the Rated Power

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John_VI, Mar 12, 2002.

1. John_VI

John_VI Second Unit

Now that I have my new Def Tech speakers on order (2006 mains, C2 center and BP2X surrounds), I'm going to need a new receiver to power them. The old Kenwood VR-309 is on it's last legs, and it doesn't have any pre-outs.

I'm really impressed with both the Denon 3802 and the HK 520, but I'm really concerned with the rated power specs on the HK. At only 75 wpc on five channels, I worry that this unit will have enough oomph to drive the speakers to respectable levels. The Denon has much better power specs and drives 7 channels as well. I love Logic 7 on the HK, but the power thing keeps nagging at me.

BTW, I'll be using the set-up for 95% movies/TV and only 5% music. Consequently I've already ruled out the Marantz and the Yamaha, which appear to be much better suited for music than movies.

Opinions on the HK power??

2. Chriss M

Chriss M Second Unit

one thing to consider is the HK is 75 x 5, all channels driven 20hz - 20kz, whereas the denon 3802 is 110 x 7 but that is with one channel driven. I believe S&V tested a 3801 to measure somewhere around 90Watts with 5 channels driven @ 1khz.

3. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Not that the AVR110 is in the same league, but I use one with 86db NHT's at 40 watts x 5, and it's plenty loud. I know the sub contributes to the db's, but I never feel like I'm clipping anything during loud passages.

50 x 2 for music, and sustained 90 - 95 db's are common. I don't listen like that for long, but it's good to know it can do it. I'm probably at the edge of the envelope.

Have no fear. Soon you will be bragging about it.

It's like a '75 Camaro. Sure, there's a 350 in there, but my Jetta's 2.0 has more snap.

- CM

4. RandyRush

RandyRush Stunt Coordinator

I'm no expert, but everything I have ever read about H/K is that their amps are extremely underated ( or better, their rated wattages are on the low side); I had the 120 for awhile and even though it was something like 40W/channel, it would blow you away; don't ever rely solely on the "rated" or advertised power stats; try it out at your local dealer and see for yourself.

5. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

All H/K's are CONSERVATIVELY RATED. There is a reason these things weigh what they do. The Outlaw 1050 is 65x6 but can play all day with the Denons, etc. Try lifting one.

No toroidal transformer in the 520 but then same for Denon 3802. It's a matter of personal taste but I wouldn't worry about the power in either.

6. Sheldon

Sheldon Stunt Coordinator

Hello John:I own a H/K AVR510 and I love it.I also have DefTechs that I use for my mains.Eventually I will be upgrading my surrounds and center to DefTech as well.You will have plenty of power to run your speakers.If you are deceiding on something with pre-outs,I assume that you will also be using other amplifiers in the future and if you do the H/K internal amps will be a non issue for you.I run 2 Rotel amps (one for the mains and the other for the center) and I must say,even though I enjoyed the nice warm sound that that I had before I enjoy the additional amps better.

7. John_VI

John_VI Second Unit

Thanks for the info, folks, and by all means, KEEP IT COMING!! I like the Denon for a lot of reasons (7 powered channels, good HT performance, good build quality, etc...), but I also like the HK a lot (Logic-7, good build quality, good HT performance, etc...). I don't need the two additional powered channels right now, so if I can save a hundred bucks or so by buying the HK and not worry that the amps will top out too easily, then I'd be more inclined to go with the HK. Also, to insure that Denon will honor the warranty, I'd have to pay about $200-300 more for the 3802 than I would for the 520.

After reading what I just wrote and thinking about it some more, I guess the title of this thread should be, "I've Decided To Buy The AVR-520. Please Make Me Feel Good About It!!" LMAO!!

8. Scott Pagac

Scott Pagac Stunt Coordinator

I have the 520, and it is a solid performer. The sound is amazing with the EQ set flat (something I have never done before). Endless tweakability. [​IMG] 7-channel works as advertised. To top it all off, it looks really, really nice. [​IMG]
    --Scott

9. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

There is a thread about the AVR8000 (HK) with a link to an HK press release about the reason behind why there are only 5 channels vs. 7 - too many compromises to pack 7 into one chassis - leaving the options open for an additional outboard amp.

- C

10. Tony Mc

Tony Mc Stunt Coordinator

Like RandyRush's post above, I do currently have the AVR120 and I'm extremely delighted with the sound, power, etc, etc... I was going to purchase the AVR320, but after listening to the AVR120 in the store, I decided to go for the less expensive AVR120. Great whether I view movies/DVDs or listen to music. And I have it set up in a rather large area. Nice full sound and no distortion from the speakers (Infinity HTS-20 system). Very nice receiver and I probably won't upgrade to a higher power rated receiver/amp/preamp for a couple or more years.

No doubt, you will be pleased with the AVR520!!!

11. Chriss M

Chriss M Second Unit

i am replacing my Denon 3801 with an HK520. I do have a 3 channel seperate power amp though, so the power of the HK's amps was less of a concern for me. I was mainly unhappy with the amount of noise being generated by my 3801 (probably was just my particular unit though), and also DPL2 and Logic7. Another feature of the 520 is that it can be used as a seperate power amp for external sources due to the amp-in jacks for each of it's 5 channels.

If you are not planning on ordering right away, i will have the HK on friday and can do some comparisons.

12. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

I don't have the 3802,just the 3801,and I also had the 520 for a couple of days.Side by side they were close in dimensions,but the denon weighted more.The HK is better looking IMO.This receiver was defective though[surround channels were "shot"],so I couldn't do a listening comparison,with all channels,however it's front channels were more then capable.I also have Def Tech speakers which are "esay loads.

Having said this I prefer the Denon over the HK simply because of some set up features,and it's user interface,but I wouldn't be worried about it's power rating,which is also a "high current" design to boot.

13. Chriss M

Chriss M Second Unit

Lewis,

Out of curiosity what setup features of the denon did you prefer? I've never been unhappy with the features of my 3801, but i was browsing through the HK520 manual looking for features i might miss when switching from the denon, and it seemed to have pretty much everything.

14. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

The dealy setting is much more sophisticated,instead of calculating,you can just enter the actual distance even in meters which is more accurate then feet.Also this feature only works in Dolby on the HK which is wrong IMO.

Also on the 520 you don't have EX for dolby only ES for DTS.