Two Harman Receivers for 7.1

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jerome Grate, Dec 13, 2001.

1. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I currently have the AVR 500 and the 520 is starting to look very attractive to me especially street priced at 650+or-. Anyway the question I have is will i be able to use the pre-outs from the 520 (rear surround including the rear center) and connect them into the 6 channel inputs of the 500. Now will this give me the DTS discrete I want as oppose to the old DPL set up and have the info taken from the surround info. I know this is new but I would take advantage of the Logic with 6 speakers. Will this work.

2. Scott Pagac

Scott Pagac Stunt Coordinator

That is close to what I plan on doing with the 520 I am going to be getting. I will be using the CD input of my current receiver to run the rear surrounds, but the direct inputs should work just as well.

Am I correct in the assumption that the rear surround bass management will be taken care of by the 520? If that is the case, the 520 should pass all of the bass info from the rear surrounds to the sub and you should have no problems.

3. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I would imagine that the bass management would be taken care of by the 520. I'm currently running an old DPL kenwood for the ex set up, but I heard that when it comes to 6.1 discrete (The Haunting, Gladiator and now Rush Hour 2) the rear center channel is still matrixed. I assuming by using the rear center pre-out it would be discreet when I put it into the 6 channel directs of the 500.