What's new

Avia (video calibration) (1 Viewer)

Brad Craig

Stunt Coordinator
Just curious as to how many people have used this on their personal TV's or HDTV's or whatnot >>> How did it turn out for you???

I did it some time back on my standard TV and didn't like the results... I also let a friend borrow it and use it on his standard TV and he didn't like the results either...

So am i just doing it wrong or what??? Because I like the audio calibrations avia gives you so i figured the video would be just as good...

On a different note, can you use your picture settings that your currently happy with (color, tint, brightness, picture, sharpness, etc) on any TV and it look good on that TV like it looks on yours???

For example lets say on one TV the bar for Color goes to 50 and on another one is goes to 25, lets say your currently using color at 40 on the 50 bar one >>> so 4/5ths of the bar is full, so can I go and make the one w/ 25 = 4/5ths full on the color bar and it look just as good???

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
so 4/5ths of the bar is full, so can I go and make the one w/ 25 = 4/5ths full on the color bar and it look just as good???
No.

It might be in the ballpark if it was the same model and brand- but other factors like age of the set, light level in the room, quality of power source, how the set has been handled, etc-- these will all effect how the settings will go for the specific set.

Obviously if they are different brands or models- you're talking about completely different standards- sometimes even within a single model line. Often when people have their sets calibrated by ISF folks, the tech will reset the meters so that the middle position of each control is "right".

So, short answer: not even close.

-Vince

Brad Craig

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks vince, and yes I do read the replies...
I'm a moderator on the forums over at Link Removed by the way, but let me tell you this forum is like totally different...
I mean are you trying to save space here or what??? On those forums what we care about is the posts being on topic and of course people not flaming one another in threads or spamming up the boards, but here it seems you don't like people asking questions that your right probably do exist in some thread on here, but most people like to skim topics and if they don't see a relevant thread they just ask...
I mean if space is a big issue then i can understand not wanting people to just ask questions as they please...

Brad Craig

Stunt Coordinator
Would appreciate anyone else's input on how their video calibration turned out using AVIA... :D
Any tips welcomed as well >>> I saw another thread way back where a guy said to have the sharpness turned all the way down before starting the Avia video calibration process...

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hey brad -
welcome to htf.
the vibe here is totally different that ign. i was on those boards for a while and i think the demographic is totally different. it's much more youth-oriented over there isn't it? i think you'll find the atmosphere over here very courteous and professional!
anyway, i don't think vince is worried about space. it's just that a lot of the questions you ask are already out there...i'm sure you know about the search function.
i've also seen vince's responses to your other posts...i think he's doing a bang-up job getting to your posts.
anyway, i obviously can't speak for vince. just trying to give you a vibe for how it is over here compared to ign.
:)

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
I saw another thread way back where a guy said to have the sharpness turned all the way down before starting the Avia video calibration process...
You'll probably end up with the sharpness turned all the way down in the end anyway. :D TVs typically come shipped with the sharpness turned up too high. The problem with this is that it adds noise to the image. Turning down the sharpness actually makes it easier to see details because it's not adding anything to the image.
I'm not familiar with Avia. I've always used Video Essentials to do my calibrations. I don't know if you can even find it anymore. Perhaps some online stores still have it in stock, but I don't think it's being produced anymore. I think we're waiting on Digital Video Essentials?
When doing the calibration you'll also start out by lowering the contrast all the way down. If you try to adjust the brightness control with the contrast set at the (default) high setting then you risk ruining your TV. Also, since brightness and contrast affect one another it's best to turn off contrast, adjust brightness, adjust contrast, adjust brightness again, adjust contrast again, adjust brightness again...and so on until you get acceptable levels.
Another thing to keep in mind...If after you've completed the calibration per Avia or VE you don't like the picture, go ahead and make some fine adjustments. It's your eyes, you don't have to like what you see. On my TV I've had to turn up contrast just a bit after getting things just right. I'm not talking a big change here...just a couple notches. For other TVs sometimes I've pushed the color or the tint over just a hair away from the "recommended" settings. However...if you're coming from looking at a "bad" TV you may want to give it some time. If after sufficient time you still don't like what you see then recalibrate and bump things over to where you like them. The patterns on Avia or VE will help you to bump things without going too extreme.
And one last thing...If you use S-video or component video for DVD and find that broadcast TV or VHS tapes look bad after calibration it's because of the differences in S-video/component video vs. composite video. I have separate video calibration settings for the different video inputs on my TV. The "S-video" calibration looks darker compared to broadcast television. But when I watch DVDs the picture looks fine. I've had to use S-video cables to calibrate one video setting then switch to all composite cables to calibrate for TV. TV would look too dark otherwise.
Regarding multiple threads on the same subject: I don't think Vince (and others) are concerned about space. It's just nice when a newbie does a little homework before firing off the same questions that have been answered ad nauseum and are just a few threads down on the same page. When the same questions get asked repeatedly then those who have been answering them tend to skip them and the newbie feels ignored. When someone does a little research/reading on their own and comes in with well worded, specific questions then they are always responded too in a positive manner.
I know that I like to help out newbies as much as possible, but I sometimes get tired of constantly repeating myself.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Brad,

Yes, this forum is very different than IGN- and I think the ownership would be happy to hear that you noticed a difference.

First and foremost, this forum is tightly moderated. We try to keep things on a very adult, civil and professional manner... and as a result we are very fortunate to have many industry pros who hang out here. You'll find VP's from many of the major studios hanging in Software (and Studio feedback), you'll find reps from major manufacturing companies in hardware, you'll find some of the better installers and calibration techs fielding questions here as well.

Peter Staddon from Fox (VP of DVD and marketing), Martin Blythe (Paramount DVD rep), Van Ling (DVD producer for T2, Star Wars, and others), David Prior (Producer for Fight Club, Pearl Harbor, Etc), Robert Harris (Film resporation superhero), etc, etc, etc-- we have reps and producers on th board daily reading, and participating.

Heck, Guy Kuo- the guy behind Avia is a regular contributor here... and Joe Kane, who founded ISF and designed Video Essentials is also a member. Don't be suprise if Guy himself drops in to make comments abut Avia video calibration...

Secondly, and as you alluded to- we try to keep the "signal to noise ratio" of the forum very high. This forum is, as they say, ALL BUSINESS (except after hours, where off topic discussions go).

The issue of "space" and merging your thread is simply one of keeping things tidy. People sometimes come into the forum and try to dominate by posting dozens of posts on the same basic topics- and we find this pollutes the forum and brings down the overall quality of the forum. We'd rather have less topics with more info in each, than the other way around.

This is also a very busy forum- and in many areas, new info if bumped off the first page within a few hours. We like to try to keep things consolidated to make it easier for visitors to keep up on all the new topics.

So the bottom line is that where you might be used to a more "free for all" newgroup type forum- we try to run a slightly tighter ship-- usually to the benefit of the visitors here (you'll find that the 20,000+ members all stick around because they approve of the format). We ask that you take the time to read the wealth of knowledge presented- and be respectful of the forum at large.

So hopefully now you understand a little better what the forum is all about. Again- I don't want to discourage you from posting questions- rather get a bit frustrated when you repost the same questions which have been answered-- or continually post new threads on the same basic topics that are already running.

Usually you'll find that posting a followup in a related existing thread gets you more results than starting a new one- and helps to keep the clutter down, and the signal to noise ratio high... making browsing better for everyone.

-Vince

Brad Craig

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the input Bill, and I'll try to do my homework better Vince...
Keep the recommendations coming though... ;)

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
Brad,

I had the same reaction you did when I first rented VIDEO ESSENTIALS. I simply didn't like the results.

But over time I have become very appreciative of what AVIA does for my RPTV's video performance. It's great.

You just have to get used it.

The folks mastering movies to DVD work off of a standard, we should try to mimic that standard as best we can on our display and audio devices...makes sense, doesn't it?

AVIA and VIDEO ESSENTAILS are a must if you want to achieve optimal video and audio performance from your hardware.

Steve Peterson

Stunt Coordinator
I've got both AVIA and VE (plus something else called The Ultimate DVD Platium - don't bother with that one.) and I get similar results with both. Like many others have stated, I wasn't sure I like what I saw after the first calibration. Set it and live with it, it will grow on you. You get so used to seeing your TV wrong, that when it is set right, it doesn't look right.

For personal preference, I use AVIA over VE only because AVIA is easier to use.

Steve "Of course, your mileage my vary" Peterson

Christian Dolan

Stunt Coordinator
Brad,

I have heard directly from the numero unos themselves (I.S.F.) that it can take up to two weeks to get use to a newly calibrated picture (this is true even in professional post-production facilities).

As for the smae settings, you should tweak each set for its specific environment. Even if you have two of the same set (beyond any differences inherent in the sets themselves), you will see a different picture if they have differnt environments (ambient lighting, background, etc.) It is recommended to dial in each one individually. Hope this helps.

-Christian

Scott Hayes

Second Unit
You're not alone on your feelings on the issue, many complain about their settings after Avia/VE. I personally feel it's like "accurate" speakers, which sound bright to many people-- you get used to "wrong" for so long, that "right" seems less than pleasing.
So true. When I first calibrated my tv with VE I did not like the results, but as someone on this forum told me, stick with it and see if your opinion changes, and it did. Over time you will begin to notice a level of detail that you never noticed before.

One thing to note. When I calibrated for the dvd input then switched over to the cable input and matched the two input settings to each other I did not like the settings I used for the DVD input on the Cable input. This is common. Broadcast television studios all have different quality of broadcast material so what may look good on on channel may not look good on another. You will have to make minor changes to the settings. It actually took me quite a while of sitting and watching tv and changing the settings here and there until I got a picture that looked good for most of the shows I watch. Even now sometimes I will make minor setting changes depending upon the show.

I would keep the settings you come up from Avia with for the dvd input and see if you begin to like them. I think if you give it a chance you will.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
stick with it and see if your opinion changes,
i highly recommend you forego this folly. soon you will find yourself visiting friends homes and looking at their tvs and realizing how poorly calibrated they are and it will drive you insane. insane i tell ya... ;)

Brad Craig

Stunt Coordinator
So basically what your saying is I will have to carry around my Avia disc when visiting friends and family... ;)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
oh no! it's already too late...the symptoms are already manifesting themselves.

quick! go out and buy anything built by emerson or audiovox!

"Go on without me...save yourself!"

Scott Hayes

Second Unit
i highly recommend you forego this folly. soon you will find yourself visiting friends homes and looking at their tvs and realizing how poorly calibrated they are and it will drive you insane. insane i tell ya...
There is a certain amount of truth in that. I hate watching movies at friends houses who are not into the HT hobbie. I think they hate having me over too because I start fiddling with their stuff trying to make it right. I usually end up having to have a little movie get together at my place to get them to see how a descent system should look. Then the wives get mad at me because after they leave my place they all want togo spend money.:D

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
It's a DVD called "Avia Guide to Home Theater".

Do a search at dvdpricesearch.com and you'll find out who has it online, and be able to read their descriptions.

Basically, it is a guide to setting up your Home Theater system to most closely match the set-ups used by the producers of all DVDs. In other words, after you use it you will be able to see and hear movies at home that are as close as your equipment will allow to movies in a theater. Minus the cell phones and other conversations.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Trey,
Like John said- Avia is a DVD that is specifically designed to help you calibrate the settings in your Home Theater system. It has video and audio test patterns which will allow you to set the various controls on your system to get the best playback quality available to you.
In addition to Avia, there is also a disc called VIDEO ESSENTIALS which features similar patters and calibration tools. Some people prefer AVIA, some like VE.
The producers of VE are preparing a new version to be released sometime in the next month or two called DIGITAL VIDEO ESSENTIALS. Many are holding out purchasing VE, rather waiting for DVE to become available.
http://www.videoessentials.com/dve.htm
Avia and VE can usually be found in more HIGH-END dvd stores, like specialty shops (Borders, Barnes and Noble) and can be found sometimes at High-Fi shops selling equipment. But, most times it is easiest to get them from ordering online. I have see VE in Best Buy, a long time ago- but have never seen AVIA on the shelves anywhere (I got my copy by mailorder).
Hope that explains it!
-Vince

DaveZee

Auditioning
I just went through video calibration with Avia on my XBR400 last night and have a few questions:

1. For white level ("picture" on the XBR), I could never get the top square to blume, even at highest white setting. Should I have been able to get there, or is it possible i went over and didn't know it?

2. I don't understand how to tell when proper white level is set. The DVD says it's when the lower half of the test screen turns from a shade of gray to white. When the heck does that precisely occur?

3. My settings don't have numbers next to them, just the various ticks, so it's very difficult to set and then play around and go back to where I had it originally without starting from zero and counting ticks again. Any better suggestions?

4. Assuming I get settings I like for dark room conditions, how do I "save" those, and also enter new settings for different viewing conditions like "afternoon" viewing or lighted room?

5. My XBR has three additional settings that weren't mentioned in Avia: (i) Color Temp (mine is set to Neutral), (ii) Velocity Modulation (mine is set to High) and (iii) DRC-MF (mine is set to Interlaced which the manual says is correct for moving pictures). After finalizing the traditional settings, should I just play around with the others to see effect? Anyone have recommendations?

Many thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks