What's new

AVIA Calibration Bug help (1 Viewer)

StevenB

Agent
I recently picked up a copy of the latest AVIA Guide to Home Theatre DVD. The majority of information on that DVD is stuff that many folks can find on this forum. However, the main reason for the purchase was for the calibration tests. Video calibration was a piece of cake, but the audio calibration is a bit tricky. I have a sound meter (33-2050 Radio Shack) to test with, but when they do the speaker balance test, it seems that AVIA has their speakers backwards....

When using the internal test on my Pioneer VSX-810S receiver to test the tones, the sounds come out of the proper speakers. When watching movies and listening to music, the sounds come out of the proper speakers. However, on the AVIA disc, when they do the speaker check (left front, center, etc), the sound is not coming out of the proper speakers. Yes, the connections are in the right speaker jacks. For example, when the voice says left front, the sound actually comes out of the left rear, etc. Is this a bug in the DVD? As I said, the connections on my end are correct. Any help is appreciated because with this problem, it basically makes any attemt at calibrating my speakers worthless. BTW, my DVD player is a Sony DVP-NS700P if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance.

Steve

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
There is no bug like that on my disc- although I don't know if I ever tried the voice channel recognition.

How is your player connected? IS it via a digital connection, or 6 channel analog?

Does the same thing happen when you use the level setting tones-- does right front come out of right rear?

-Vince

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
The channels can't get mixed up from one copy of AVIA to another. Something is odd with your sound setup. I'd first check and make certain your DVD player is set to output bitstream format for digital audio and not PCM. Some DVD players come from the factory set to output PCM rather than bitstream and that causes the original audio tracks to not all be transferred to your receiver.

Sam Hatch

Stunt Coordinator
Or you could change it to "I'm your hunk of butter", as a strange friend of mine once swore was the correct quote... :)

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
I change "your" to you're" so often it's become habit I guess.

I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT IT MEANS!! lol

Thad_C

Agent
I'm having a similar problem with AVIA, and happily ran across this thread.

I tried calibrating with AVIA last night, and encountered the following two problems:

1. There is no distinction between the left and right surround speakers (the voice and pink noise come out of both simultaneously)

2. While I get the voice indicating "LFE", there is no tone from my sub.

When calibrating through my Onkyo 797, each channel checks out, and other DVDs reproduce sound correctly through each channel. Why is this happening when I try to use AVIA?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Thad,
I addressed your concerns in the basic area.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=58348
You have a configuration error and probably an improper connection. Please read the post in basics and reply there.
I wonder if Steven ever figured out his problem (he said the channels in read were backwards- but I guess it's possible he was getting prologic mono rears like Thad).
-Vince

StevenB

Agent
Hey Vince,

Yes, I was getting the same problem as Thad. I was wondering why my receiver was only decoding in Prologic as opposed to Dolby Digital. I knew it had that decoding mechanism in there. I had the analogue hookup connected as well as the digital coax connection. The analogue cancelled out the digital for one reason or another, so I disconnected it. I'm not sure why I even had the analogue connected. I guess that's why I'm still a newbie. Thanks for your help Vince.

Steve

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Steven,

Glad to hear it worked out for you! I would have been able to solve that problem in a second- but your assertion that the rears were "reversed" really had me stumped!

Well, glad it's working now!

-V

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks