HELP!! bass management on Marantz SR7000 doesnt seem to work??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Dr, Dec 19, 2001.

1. Mike Dr

Mike Dr Stunt Coordinator

Ok .. I know about the problem with the software "bug" of this receiver in that if you set your mains/center to "large", the LFE out doesnt get any bass info except for the LFE track itself. This is all well and good, but i set everything to small, and the sub is STILL only getting the LFE channel.. i tested this with the AVIA disc with subwoofer calibration tracks. when i do any of the main channels, the sub is not active .. i have a Behringer Feedback Destroyer so i know exactly when there's a signal to the sub cause of the little lights [​IMG]
    yesterday, just to try it (and since my sub has 2 inputs), i plugged 1 input into LFE and the other into the center channal and started up men in black.. the intro sounded so much fuller w/ the bass.. actually it was too bassy but that's cause my sub is calibrated for lfe only
    is there something i'm doing wrong? is this a problem on all of these receivers? Could i combine left and right preamp outs and pipe them to the sub? (would a Y cable be safe in this case?) .. cause i still need 1 of the outputs to handle the LFE
    thanks

2. Mike Dr

Mike Dr Stunt Coordinator

I just realized something .. I forgot to mention that i'm using the Source Direct option.. to those that have this receiver... have u tried running it in the other modes with movies and what results did u get.. for instance, if i use the DTS-MOVIE option how will regular 2.0 , 5.0, as well as 5.1 DD and DTS come out?

3. Sean D

Sean D Stunt Coordinator

I was under the impression that if you use source direct the reciever defaults the speakers to large and sub to no. I thought I read that in the manual somewhere.

4. Max Knight

Max Knight Supporting Actor

Source Direct mode bypasses all bass management. In Source Direct each channel will get only what is encoded in that channel.

Thus on a standard CD your L/R speakers would get full range stereo signals.

On A DVD you would get full range sent to each speaker, and the LFE channel sent to the sub.

-Max