What's new

AVIA Audio Calibration tips (1 Viewer)

Bill_Boston

Stunt Coordinator
Greetings,

I plan on purchasing a new receiver, speakers, and sub this weekend. I own the AVIA DVD and plan on utilizing it to calibrate my new system. I was hoping to start this thread as a way for people to post tips, comments, advice, and lessons learned as to best use the AVIA tool to optimize both HT and 2-channel stereo sound. What works well ... what doesn't, etc. There are many scattered messages concerning this; I'm hoping to try to pull together the best ideas in one common thread.

Thanks.

Loring

Stunt Coordinator
Since you didn't state in your post.. I hope you have Sound Pressure Meter so you can calibrate everything correctly. It would be a shame to use Avia and do the calibrating by ear.

Happy Listening,

EricSm

Stunt Coordinator
I could use some advice on the sharpening calibration test for video. Perhaps I am simply dense, but while I sort of understood what I was supposed to be looking for, my eyes certainly weren't seeing it. So, yeah, any good tips on sharpening? ie. how do I know when it looks like it should?

And a tip: I found that if you are your speakers are set to small at a given crossover point and you do a frequency sweep for a given channel that will employ that speaker and the sub(using an SPL) it is a great way to tell where you want to have your sub's phase switch. Just repeat the test for the two positions and see which gives you the best response. I flipped mine and was shocked at all the valleys it caused in the meter read out.

JakeMcM

Stunt Coordinator
yeah on the video calibration part I was wondering why on the contrast I think it is why I couldn't see the squares blooming oh yeah it was white level. It didn't matter if I turned it all the way up or down the squares never changed at all that I could tell, quite annoying.

Bill_Boston

Stunt Coordinator
JakeMcM:

I had the same white-level problem as you ... could never see all the white boxes. I decided to hire an ISF calibration expert to come over and fix my white and black levels as well as fix my red push (among MANY other fixes and tweaks). Well, it was worth it. My blacks are black and my whites are white, and, I see all the square on the AVIA contrast test as well as the "THX Optimizer" tests on various DVD. Money well spent !!!

Now I need to get the Audio optimized, and I'll be a happy camper.

JakeMcM

Stunt Coordinator
yeah well my tv is only like $500 dollars so probably not worth it to get it calibrated. I definetly plan on doing it if I go with a big HDTV sometime

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks