New HDTV owner...a few questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Rabin, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Paul Rabin

Paul Rabin Extra

Purchased a Sony 51 inch KP-51HW40 (widescreen)
    and Sony Progressive Scan DVD Player DVP-NS715P this weekend. I was reading somewhere in this forum that new models are coming out with a new type of feature? I am receiving the Sony at the end of August (delivered to my new home). A couple of questions:

1) Should I have waited for these new types of HDTV's? If so, I can still change my mind and switch.
    2) I heard the KP-51HW40 is a good HDTV (mostly positive reviews). Anyone disagree?
    3) The salesperson convinced me to buy Monster cables (I bought Monster Cable 2 Component Video Cable MV2CV-2M). I can still take these back. Are they worth it?
    4) Also the salesperson convinced me to buy the Monster Cable Home Theater Power Center — HTS1000. IS this worth it? (I paid 125 for it).
    5) I assume I should get the avia guide to home theater for calibration. Is there a place where I can purchase it cheaper than $35-$40).

Also if anyone has any other tips for me I would really appreciate it. By the way, I have a low end home theater system (avia 300 watt non DTS (need to improve on this) that I will temporary use as my audio system.

Again, I look forward to feedback. Thanks!

2. RichN

RichN Stunt Coordinator

I have read numerous places that Monster cables are VERY over rated and VERY over priced. You can find other cables just as good. I'm sure some other people can give you specifics as far as brand names. I'm not sure what you mean as far as "new type of feature" on the TV unless you're talking about DVI/Firewire inputs, in which case you will get as many opinions as there are people on this forum as to whether it's better to buy now or wait. Can't help you with your other questions as I don't own either model of TV or DVD player. The price for the Avia DVD sounds about right, but you can do a search using YahooShopping and it will give you prices and websites.
    RichN

3. Paul Rabin

Paul Rabin Extra

That is what meant about "new feature" (DVI/firewire)inputs. I just don't want my TV to be outdated already...(don't even have it yet...being delivered to my new home). Thanks for the response RichN.

4. James Stierman

James Stierman Stunt Coordinator

The new sony will also have an HD detailer that will make an HD or progressive scan image sharper. Also the new model will retail for 2199.99.

5. Paul Rabin

Paul Rabin Extra

When is this new model coming out?

6. Ryan Beerski

Ryan Beerski Auditioning

The 57 is available this week, the 51 should be available around the last week of this month.

7. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron

8. Paul Rabin

Paul Rabin Extra

I am glad to see I didn't waste my money with the cables and power center. Thanks for the response Ron-P.

9. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    You will be happy with them Paul. Monster makes very good quality products.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

10. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

While Monster makes a good product that will work well, it's highly debatable that they're worth the money. They certainly won't mess anything up, though.
    Personally, it sounds like the salesperson saw you coming. But I'm not a "cable guy." I like good quality, less-hyped cable such as AR/Recoton ($25 for a heavy, gold-plated component cable vs. $90 for the Monster here locally). I'm on a limited budget and would rather put my money into DVDs than cable.
    But hey, if you've got the money to throw around, the Monsters aren't going to hurt anything.
    Sorry to disagree, Ron. [​IMG] I know that cables are a sensitive issue.
    Jan

11. Jim FC

Jim FC Stunt Coordinator

The cable issue will never go away, but I'll stand with those who think you got a good set of cables for your TV, and a good surge. I think Monster's 2 and 3 series are about as much as most people need to spend on cables, but there are those who will spend ten times that for a fractional improvement in picture quality. If your salesman did "see you coming," he'd have pushed Monster's Z-series or their Reference series cables. Sounds to me as if your salesperson treated you fairly and got you a cable that's suited for your TV.

Paul, you got a good TV. I wouldn't be too concerned over that TV vs. the new one, as it doesn't look like Sony made too many changes this year. As far as whether you will need a DVI interface, just try to ignore the chicken littles -- the die has been cast on HDTV, and it's too late to change. Don't let this issue make you worry about your purchase. If DVI is adopted, it will be in conjunction with what already exists. In the unlikely event that a DVI input becomes necessary, you'll be able to buy an adaptor to give you the needed input. Don't sweat it, just enjoy your new TV!

12. Jenna

Jenna Second Unit

13. Jenna

Jenna Second Unit

14. Jenna

Jenna Second Unit

15. DennisM

DennisM Auditioning

I recently purchased the KP-51HW40 and am extremely pleased with it. The price was right and I also purchased the Monster Cable 3's for progressive scan on the Toshiba SD-4700 which I purchased the same week. Both of my choices were made with the input of others on this site. No regrets, just enjoy.[​IMG]

16. Paul Rabin

Paul Rabin Extra

Guys I really appreciate the advice but I made the decision to switch to the KP-51WS500 model. I will receive that on the same day as the other model (End of August). The KP-51WS500 was 2,199.00 (same price). I will let everyone know how it is when I get it (well maybe a week later!)

Again thanks to everyone who has responded to this thread. I appreciate it.