What's new

Average life of Mitsubishi TV's? (1 Viewer)

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
I own a Mitsubishi 50" RPTV, 4:3 television. It's about 4yrs. old now and i'm wondering what the average life on these TV's is, just in terms of life spans, not bulbs. How long have most people with Mitsubishi TV's had them for? I know they are an awesome television but most manufacturers these days don't put much quality or pride in them so they end up breaking after about 5 yrs. or so... I just pray mine will last at least 3 more yrs.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Assuming there are no manufacturing defects and assuming you are not overdriving the set, it should give you another three or so years. There's no real "lifespan" for a TV; if it's made by a reputable manufacturer (i.e., just about any Japanese make) and you take good care of it, you can expect around ten years of useful life. I know of some direct-view sets that are still running strong after a quarter-century. RPTVs, being a little more delicate and fragile, can get about ten or so years before the CRTs start to fail.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

That might be about it ... although my parent's 45" Mits TV is 14 years and still going.

The real end comes when something small dies on the TV and you cannot get parts for it anymore. That is already happening even on some sets 4 to 5 years old.

Regards

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I am still watching a 1986 vintage Mitsubishi VS-461RS 45" (I guess it may be a 46") RPTV. The picture is getting a little dark and there is a pretty nasty green halo around certain things but it's still working after 17+ years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks