What's new

AV Receivers & RF input (1 Viewer)

Mike_S

Stunt Coordinator
I've currently got a PIONEER VSX-D557 AV receiver. It's Dolby Digital (and Pro logic) only. NO DTS. It also has an RF input running in from my Pioneer CLD-D504 (via an RF Demodulator) for AC-3 (DD 5.1) I've been looking to upgrade lately to a receiver which will also do DTS (and Prologic II would be nice as well). As an example, I looked at both the Pioneer VSX-D411 & 511 models. To my surprise and disappointment, both lacked an RF input. I then looked at more expensive receivers which also had no RF in. I did notice that they all had an extra 5.1 input presumably for a second DVD player. Anyway, am I missing something here? Could I use that extra 5.1 input to hook my LD player into the receiver? My budget permits only an inexpensive AV receiver such as the VSX-D411 & 511 models. Am I out of luck here? I'd really appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

-Mike

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
The RF-carried Dolby Digital is now dead. You will need an RF demodulator which will convert the RF signal to optical or coax. The 5.1 input is mainly for SACD and DVD-Audio, which must be decoded in the player due to copy protection. You can't use the 5.1 input in your case unless you have a DD decoder with an RF input and 5.1 channel outs. If your current Pioneer has 5.1 preouts, you could use it as your decoder for LD.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Mike_S,
I don't know what Tim is talking about in his message.
In your post you mention that you're running a Pioneer VSX-D557, with your LD going through an RF demodulator.
Well, it just so happens that I know about that receiver since my brother Andrew has one and I've worked with it a little. I happen to know that this receiver has no RF input. It has two digital inputs, one coax/optical switchable, and one coax only. I have a VSX-D606S in my bedroom, which is like a 557 with a much better remote control and a true RF input for LD. Nice receiver. The only thing you´re going to get from a replacement is more features. BTW DPLII sounds fantasic on Stereo/prologic LaserDiscs.
Since you have an external RF demodulator box, you can replace this receiver at will with anything on the market, and as long as you continue to use the external RF demodulator with your LD player. If your RF demodulator box only has a coax out make sure that your new receiver has a coaxial digital in, that´s all.
Shop away.

Patrick TX

Stunt Coordinator
http://www.6ave.com/main.jsp
I ordered from David @ extension #315. He was VERY helpful. I even contacted Yamaha regarding the mail order warranty. They explained that there is full warranty, as 6th ave IS authorized, and the unit is discontinued. It arrived factory sealed, double boxed, and PERFECT. I can't be happier!

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
I don't know what Tim is talking about in his message.
It was a long day, Phil. I completely missed the part about Mike already having an RF demod. In short, I was attempting to explain that the 5.1 input won't really work for LD. Thanks for covering for me :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks