What's new
World Wide Stereo

Audio set up for family room (1 Viewer)

emancan924

Auditioning
Real Name
Eli Radulescu
Just recently purchased a 60" LG Plasma TV (60PA6500) and will be viewed in the family room. Recently bought this house, so I don't have any audio set up. I'm pretty amateur when it comes to audio and need your much needed help. Here is the criteria:
1. Approx. $500 budget
2. Approx. 25ft x 15ft family room.
2a. Prefer surround sound set up, but from perusing these forums, seems like surround sound systems aren't worth the money spent? (Am I wrong?)
2b. On top of that, i'd like minimal wires running through my family room (see: wife). Wireless speakers an option or not really?
3. So what would be recommended the best...receiver + soundbar? I'd like the best quality I can get for $500.
Here are inputs for the tv if needed...
USB Input: 1
HDMI: 3
Component Video In: 2
PC (D-sub 15pin) in: 1
PC Audio In: 1
Digital Audio Out: 1
AV In: 1
RF In (Antenna/Cable): 1
Here is a very basic sketch of what my family room set up is like...
Thanks in advance!
Eli

gartronics

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garry
ok, 500 bucks should build a decent system. If you can, stay away from HTIB systems that have built in bluray player. They usually have limited options, inputs and most times they don't sound that nice. I would say to stick with a A/V Receiver and separate bluray player. Here is something I think could fill your room with sound: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Onkyo-AVX-290-5.1-CH-Home-Theater-System/21064275?povid=cat77622-env459514-module477760-lLink4 As for the wire issue, most everyone will tell you that wireless speakers are not worth the hassle. You may have to get creative and hide wires under carpet or behind baseboards if you have hardwood floors. As for a bluray player walmart has quite a few ranging in price from 58 bucks into the hundreds. Of coarse the 58 dollar one is probably crap. Here is a link to their dvd & bluray players:http://www.walmart.com/browse/tv-video/dvd-amp;-blu-ray-players/3944_1060825_95987?_refineresult=true&ic=32_0&path=0%3A3944&povid=cat1060825-env432680-moduleA112112-lLinkLHNShopVideo2_DVDPlayers Hope you find this helpful.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
At $500...
There is nothing. Nada.
At least nothing that is going to include D-sub 15 pin, Component input, PC Audio in and Digital audio out.
Cause NONE of that even exists in 1-piece craptatstic HTiB. And that is all $500(since you want "wireless" or a soundbar) gets you.
Here is your cheapest piece of AV equipment, period, that has D-sub 15 pin...and it has no digital audio out...
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR717-7-2-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B007JOO4YS/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1354275949&sr=1-2&keywords=onkyo+nr616
Here is your cheapest "new" option for digital audio output(the way I think you mean it)...but there is no way to do wireless and no D-sub...
http://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-AVR-1650-5-1-Channel/dp/B00548SKMI/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1354276186&sr=1-2&keywords=harman+avr+1700

emancan924

Auditioning
Real Name
Eli Radulescu
Thanks for the replies guys! I forgot to mention that I have a PS3 so bluray is covered.
Please excuse my amateur status when it comes to audio, but from what you guys have said, it sounds like the tv inputs are impacting the quality of audio I can get? Or is it more related to my budget? Combination of both? If I had a budget of $600 or $700, would that help?
What about this kind of setup, would this work with my tv and family room dimensions?
http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-DV-62CLRS-Channel-Speaker/dp/B00009WBYL/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_y
http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-DV62si-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B00006JPDI/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_y
http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-F12-475-Watt-Subwoofer/dp/B0015A8Y5M/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_z
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKHTRC330/Onkyo-HT-RC330-5.1-CHANNEL-HOME-THEATER-RECEIVER/1.html
Total would come out to about $531 before taxes...Any other options? I'll live without surround sound, and wireless is not worth it to me if it's gonna cost an arm and a leg.
Thanks again for your help, appreciate it very much!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Like I mentioned for another poster with a PS2 and Wii...
The 330 does not have HDMI upconversion, which you need since you mention having two component video sources.
This is the lowest priced AVR where you don't have hoops to jump through...given the criteria you asked for(minus the D-sub and wireless)
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKHTRC360/Onkyo-HT-RC360-7.2-Channel-Network-A/V-Receiver/1.html
If you wish to add the D-sub...
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXSR608/Onkyo-TX-SR608-7.2-Channel-3-D-Ready-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html
If you wish to add the "possibility" to do wireless rear(while keeping the D-sub)...
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKHTRC370/Onkyo-HT-RC370-7.2-Channel-Network-A/V-Receiver/1.html
The "possibility" will cost you another $150-$200...and be dependent on whether your HT has interference from outside sources(microwaves, WiFi, baby monitors, cell phones)

emancan924

Auditioning
Real Name
Eli Radulescu
I thought D-sub was becoming more obsolete with DVI and HDMI connectors available? How would an average joe like myself find D-sub useful? This tv setup will be mostly used for movies and PS3 gaming, so I just need an audio setup that supports that. So if D-sub is not necessary, I'm leaning towards the RC360...and the speakers/sub I suggested are sufficient?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well, I was going on what you asked for...one was the D-sub. Onkyo is the only one that includes it.
There are other AVR with HDMI upconversion on A4L...
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR591/DENON-AVR-591-5.1-Channel-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html (only has one component, do you need 2?)
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR890/DENON-AVR-890-7.1-Channel-105W-A/V-1.3a-Receiver/1.html (lowest priced Denon with 2 component, but you lose 3D and ARC...do you care?)

emancan924

Auditioning
Real Name
Eli Radulescu
Oh, i provided the tv inputs just so you guys know what I'm dealing with. I definitely don't care about 3D. Don't even know what A4L is, lol and not even sure if I need ARC. What is that useful for?
So basically, like I was saying, I'm only going to have a PS3 and LG plasma tv in this family room, plus the ATT uverse receiver. Those BIC speakers ok? And I just need a quality receiver under $250. If I go with the Denon591, will that support both the tv and the PS3 since it only has one component? Like I said, I don't need all kinds of input coverage if it's not necessary. Just need support for the tv, PS3, att receiver...while also getting some quality audio.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
A4L is Accessories4less....as in the website you linked. And most of us know about.
If all you have is a PS3 and an HD STB, why did you "want" digital audio out? D-Sub? Two component?
ARC is Audio Return Channel. Only matters if you are going to use OTA.
Yes those BIC are worth buying. Easily the best price/performance ratio you are going to find.
And your PS3 uses component and not HDMI?
Edit:
Just realized you were listing the inputs on the TV...not the inputs you needed. So yeah, it helps to know the sources. Cause once you buy an AVR. Your TV only needs 1 connection...the HDMI. So, in other words...the D-Sub, components and "other two" HDMI are never going to be used.

emancan924

Auditioning
Real Name
Eli Radulescu
Yeah, those specs were only provided in case you guys needed them when offering suggestions. So considering the hardware I'm working with, what are the best AVR options under $250? Denon591 best bang for my buck? And I'm sold on the BIC speakers, good deal.
One last question...the AVR will be able to support a center speaker, l/r speakers, and sub (besides the ps3). What connections are those, not HDMI right?

emancan924

Auditioning
Real Name
Eli Radulescu
sub woofer. Should have put a comma after sub.
So Denon591 will support the BIC speakers + sub + PS3? Best option in your opinion?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Any AVR will support your sources and speaker choice.
It just depends if the AVR has the features that make it easiest for you to use.
Since your PS3(for some reason) uses component for video and (I presume???) analog audio you need your AVR to have HDMI upconversion. So yes, the 591 is the least expensive option that has it.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Denon makes nice receivers, but are usually not in the top of the price/performance list. (Of course there are always deals this time of year, and that alters things.) Onkyo is usually the cost/performance leader.
Basically, pick a recevier that has the feature you need, at the best price, from this list of manufacturers: Denon, Marantz, Pioneer, Onkyo, Yamaha, Harman/Kardon. And sure, looks count too, I'm be dishonest if I said I didn't use looks as a criteria; but at least know how much you are willing to pay for it.)

emancan924

Auditioning
Real Name
Eli Radulescu
That's the thing, I don't know what features I need, lol. I know basically nothing about audio/video. All I know is that the PS3 is HDMI, and I provided the LG plasma tv inputs in case you guys needed to know that about the tv. So what specific recommendations do you have for an AVR under $250? Again, I don't know what's needed on an AVR, when I look at their descriptions I don't understand half the stuff of what they support. If I can get like two or three recommendations I'll be set since I've pretty much already made up my mind to get the BIC speakers.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
First...for recommendations...
Do you have an Ipad/Ipod/droid?
Do you have a NAS?
Do you stream music(Pandora/Slacker/Spotify)?
Have any non-HDMI gear?
Do you want/need 2nd zone(as in the ability to pipe sound into a 2nd room...independent of the HT)?
Would you like a macro remote(macro means your remote fires off a series of commands...like when you press DVD on the remote...it fires off the codes to turn the stuff on to watch a DVD)?
You can't just say..."Hey I want a receiver". Give us some clues.

emancan924

Auditioning
Real Name
Eli Radulescu
I have an Ipod and iPhone and I do stream music.
I do not have non-HDMI gear.
NAS, not even sure what that is, I googled it and from what I can tell I'm pretty sure I don't use that.
2nd zone is not a priority. I will have a tv in the living room as well, but it will be about 30-35 ft away from my family room setup. So i'm not sure how that would work. If anything, I will want a very basic setup for the living room (already have a poker/dining table and pool table in there) and the tv in that room is just for general viewing (don't need high end audio there). Will 2nd zone require additional cables running across the house from the living room to the family room...or is there a wireless option?
Is macro remote basically a universal remote? In either case, that sounds like something I would want to have. Didn't even think about the remote situation for the HT setup, thanks!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Your TV in the "play room" (as we'll call it)...
Could be fed off the main HT(with the right AVR). Meaning you would not have to have "another" FIOS box for in there. You also would not need a BD player...or anything else.
There are "2nd zone w/video" AVR for not much more money.
This particular AVR is "not" second zone video...but, on the back, you see two HDMI outs...
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR616/Onkyo-TX-NR616-7.2-Ch-THX-Certified-Network-A/V-Receiver/1.html
So, everything hooked up in the HT room is available to be seen on the other TV. Superbowl Sunday??? want to play pool and not miss the game? (although I'm not sure if on that AVR if "both" HDMI out can be live at the same time)
You can also control that AVR from your Ipod and Iphone. Meaning you are in the kitchen, you can turn it up or down...
The "next step up" (NR 717...$200-ish over your budget...instead of barely over, like the 616) contains a "macro remote"...
That means you won't need to spend "another hundred" on a remote. Although...if you leave this is "one room contained" without spreading out with the "multi-zone"...the 616 remote will already control the TV.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
IF you wanted to go "all ridiculous"...(cause you never know what somebody is willing to spend, till they know what is available...)
This AVR is $900 OVER your budget...but...
This has 2nd zone HDMI. Meaning your two TVs. Lets say you have kids visiting. You watch "the game", the kids sit in the next room watching Barney. The only thing where they are is the TV. No Fios box. No BD player. Nothing for them to screw up. You, because you have the AVR, have control over how loud they get to listen. What they are watching...the whole bit. There is lots more...but $1000 is the price of admission...
You can even, if you choose...play your play station on the 2nd TV...without moving it from the HT(because of the 2nd zone HDMI). Cause you know, once they are done watching Barney. They'll want to play Donkey Kong...Call of Duty...or whatever.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR1010/ONKYO-TX-NR1010-7.2-Ch-THX-Certified-Network-A/V-Receiver/1.html

emancan924

Auditioning
Real Name
Eli Radulescu
Wow, didn't know hardware like that even existed. Amazing stuff Sam, thanks for the detailed responses. I'm going to have to live without the 2nd zone option, it's just not a priority for me and a little outside my budget when adding everything up. My main concern is the family room HT setup, making sure I can have the best quality AVR, speakers and subwoofer in a budget of $500 to $700. Adding that macro remote would be nice, but at $500 for the receiver alone that's probably not going fit within my budget. Unless there are other AVR's out there with a macro remote under $300? But it sounds like that's not available.
Thanks again for the recommendations, I've definitely learned a lot since starting this thread : )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperMarty88
Recent bookmarks