What's new

Authorized and Non-Authorized Online Receiver Purchases? (1 Viewer)

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Non-Authorized = No Warranty from the Factory?
Are "Non-Authorized Dealers" illegal?
How do you verify if an authorized dealer?
Do some of these On-Line Specials "neglect" to mention their shipping rate is like $500 or what's the scam?
I can't fathom that items that are cutting edge with retail pricing at as an example $1700, and selling for $1100, without some hidden catch.
All input welcome. :cool:

Ashok

Agent
No manufacturer's warranty? - Yes, this is true. Some dealers offer their own warranties however, and some people have luck getting service even if they bought from an unauthorized dealer.
Illegal? - No, unauthorized does not equal illegal. Although illegal would equal unauthorized :).
To verify a dealer, you should go to the manufacturer's website. All of the sites I have seen have a list of authorized internet dealers.
Most of the sites I have visited have a way to check the shipping rates. On most yahoo! shops you can just start check out, enter in a state and zip code, hit next, and see the charges without processing the order. Ubid is the only place that I have had charge extra shipping costs (when buying a pair of speakers, they charged me for twice the weight of the pair, double what it should have been). I got a refund though.

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
The reason I brought it up was a friend of mine was scammed TWICE... once just for a shirt that he paid $35.00 for... $15 Shipping (online/immediate) and another $20 when it hit the door!:angry:
Never got it back in either instance.

AntonS

Stunt Coordinator
Ashok,

you really do not have to go to the manufacturer's Web site. You do not even have to know the manufacturer's Web-site. It's not your responsibility to track down the dealers. If the manufacturer fails to provide you with the information about lost warranty (huge red letters on the box) and warranty card with agreement outside the box, then they cannot do anything about it.

Actually I've heard that Denon does make repairs on units sold on the Internet, you just have to ship the faulty unit directly to them without going through a local dealership (which may be better anyway). I also heard that Yamaha does provide the warranty card with the statement about losing the warranty outside the box.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Also a lot depends on what your own state laws are. As for shipping charges they are not just shipping charges that you have to look out for it's usually the handling charges in the S&H. Before you order anything make sure you know what both of them are & if there are any other charges like overweight shipping. All of the websites I have ordered from always show you the total delivered price before you place your order.

Eujin

Supporting Actor
Ok then, so which online dealers have you guys had good experiences with? Especially ones who are NOT authorized, but who have honored warranties. I'm not talking about the ones who simply pay lip service on some info section of their site and then fail to return your calls or e-mails, but dealers who've provided actual service when needed. There are a lot of one-off threads and postings asking about specific dealers, but there doesn't seem to be one that lists "good" online dealers...

JamesH

Supporting Actor
It could easily be much cheaper with no hidden catch. The manufacturer often pressures dealers to sell its products at a certain price, in an attempt to protect the brand image. If someone saw a Sony product for $100 and a Panasonic for $50, many people would automatically assume the Sony is of better quality based on price alone. The unauthorized dealers are just operating at a lower profit margin on each unit sold.

AntonS

Stunt Coordinator
JamesH,

I don't think that manufacturers really try to enforce a certain price (namely MSRP). They just sell the equipment to their dealers at some dealer's price (around 50% off MSRP), the rest they don't really care. Of course dealers try to sell everything at MSRP, as the difference is going to their own pocket.

Basically it's pretty much the same as with car dealerships. The difference is that there is usually a whole lot more car dealerships in the area than different "authorized" electronics shops (so you really have more choice), and that profit margins on electronics are much less than on cars (when 5% over invoce for a car is quite a bit of money, 5% for a piece of electronics is not much). Hence MSRP.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Yes! I have noticed that Yami and Denon are the pickiest about who sells their products. I feel(my opinion only) that it is a scam when a manufacturer will not honor a warranty when you bought a brand new unit in a sealed box with a warranty card from an established internet dealer. Obviously they are authorized to sell the merchandise!!!!!!!!!!! They sell thousands everyday! Just not on the list at their site as factory authorized dealers??????????????????????????????
Give me a break!
That is why I may vote with my wallet when its time to buy!
Sony,Onkyo, JVC, and HK are not picky!:angry:

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I see this is a 'newbie' thread. Not that I want to stop this, but we had a thread just like this a few months back.

The bottom line for authorized dealers is a gift. If your uncle gives you a new receiver for your birthday you have no idea where he got it, and you don't have the receipt either. Should the warranty be good?

So, if you buy anything and it is in the original carton with the original seal and has a warranty inside, it would be good. If any company would not honor it I think that legal action could be taken.

Glenn

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
This is directly from Denon site.

"CONSUMER ALERT: Purchase your Denon Products only from a Denon Authorized Dealer. Denon carefully selects its authorized dealers to ensure that its high standards are maintained. The warranty on Denon Products purchased from an unauthorized source or reseller may not be valid."

Note that Denon did not say that the warranty WILL NOT BE VALID they stated MAY NOT BE VALID. I don't understand why so many people have a problem understanding this.

Buyer Beware!!!

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
Steve:

The goal is to deal with reputable "unauthorized" dealers. They will stand behind the purchase. A little research, including those recommended in this thread, will yield those safer online dealers.

Good Luck!

Rich B.

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
While talking with Denon reps at CES, I was told to look for a new announcement on their website in the next 2 weeks regarding unauthorized dealers. The implication was there would be no support but I don't know what the statement will say.

Also, if the unit isn't a refurb and is a US unit, more than likely the warranty will be valid. The manufacturer doesn't have any grounds to refuse warranty service in this case, regardless of where you bought it, provided it was a legitamate business.

What happens is many online dealers are selling units that are refurbs or are imported from Canada and Japan. THese come with a Canadian or Japan warranty which the manufacturer does not have to honor. For instance, my panasonic RP91 purchased from ecost.com had a canadian warranty card.

MarkMaestas

Agent
I'm not sure if the Denon site was just updated, but here is the warning that is on there now....

"The warranty on DENON Electronics products is NOT VALID if the products have been purchased from and unauthorized dealer/on-line E-tailer or if the original factory serial number has been removed, defaced or replaced in any way. Recently DENON Electronics has become aware of numerous instances in which such serial number tampering has occurred. Unauthorized dealers/on-line E-tailers and/or their suppliers frequently alter the serial numbers in an effort to prevent manufacturers from tracing the supplier source. DENON Electronics sell products through authorized retail to and on-line channels to insure that consumers obtain quality pre-sale and after-sale support and service. PROTECT YOUR WARRANTY. Buy from an authorized DENON Electronics dealer/E-tailer. Check the unit and its packaging to determine whether the factory serial number may have been altered. If in doubt, call DENON Electronics at (973)396-0810."

The e-tailers that they have listed have the Denon AVR-1802 for $499 plus shipping. Etronics.com has it for $339 plus $32 shipping. A huge difference. But it seems that I'm taking a bit of a risk. Should I risk $371 at etronics to try to save $128+? Gonna give it some thought.

Mark

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Thanks to all you guys for being so generous in your help. This thread is an example of how it should be done!

Thanks again!

So/ I guess we need to ask what kind of factory warranty it has(US) and is it a refurb.

Also is ecost selling the good stuff??? JR is an authorized dealer and a few others are also. ?????=AMDV, 50 top sellers, 800.com bestpriceaudiovideo, consumer wharhouse is ok, etronics, lets go digital, majorfusion, moreaudio, proactive electronics advertises as an authorized dealer, 6th ave, speed and sound?????=

Ok guys, hack away and tell all about the bad boys club and who to avoid.

Steve Zimmerman

Second Unit
One option is to buy the receiver at an authorized retailer with the Amex Blue card and then send Amex a printout of the Web page showing the less expensive (i.e. unauthorized price). Amex will credit the difference up to $250 to your CC.

So you get an authorized purchase at the unauthorized price.

--Steve

J

John Morris

If you buy a brand new product that has been sold by a manufacturer who only sells to authorized dealers, then you have bought your unit from an authorized dealer, regardless of the company that acted as a purchasing agent for you. As long as the product is unopened and is a USA product with valid serial number and warranty card, you are complying with Denons restrictions. Manufacturers know the manufacture date of each unit, and who they sold each unit to, and by not stopping sales to authorized dealers who sell off stock to other non-authorized companies, they are thereby condoning this practice. Finally, I have never had a problem getting any unit serviced without a receipt as long as the manufacture date of the unit falls within the warranty period. After all, how else could anyone who gets a component as a gift, or wins one in a contest, get their unit serviced. Finally, buying from an unauthorized dealer does come with some hassle/time investment. Only you can decide if the savings you will see from buying from an unauthorized dealer is worth the potential hassle you will see if your unit has a problem.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Yep Earl, this is going well. Here's the other side, and/or the rest of the story.

First, I could always start up my own webpage and put your favorite model down with a disgustingly low price. The AmEx deal won't cut it. Sears has done the same thing. They will only match online prices through authorized dealers.

Next, I could open up my own online store. You send me the money and I fly to Mexico. You get the picture here. If you buy from 'flybynight.com' or whatever, cross your fingers.

Last, unless the laws have changed a lot of etailers do not have any stock at all. When you place your order, they buy what they need with a wholesalers license, (Cost + freight), and mark it up as needed for your sale. They might not be authorized, but the retailer/etailer that they brought it from is. If the carton is still sealed the warranty should be ok, see?

Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks