What's new

Authorized and Non-Authorized Online Receiver Purchases? (1 Viewer)

Mike_Y

Auditioning
I bought my AVR-5800 from an on-line source. If it turns out not to be an authorized dealer can they refuse to up-grade the unit or to do the up-grade but refuse to warantee it?

Royce H

Stunt Coordinator
One of the things happening with these "authorized dealer" programs is that there is a *lot* of money flowing back and forth from the parent company and the US branch to and from the retailers involved. The US subsidiaries pay the parent companies for exclusive sales, distribution, and service rights. Sometimes they hold copyright to the product's name in the US as well. In turn, the parent companies support the US branches with subsidies for marketing (advertising, trade shows, sports sponsorships, customer rebates and giveaways, etc.), retailer support, and other items. They also pay back the US branch for warranty costs. This money flow is one of the reasons that the US branches of these companies don't like to provide warranty support for items purchased from unauthorized dealers, whether we as consumers like it or not.

Royce

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
In reading this, it would appear that an appropriate measure to take would be to request the serial number of the unit you are purchasing online, prior to agreeing to take delivery.

A quick call/email to the manufacturer should tell you if the article is subject to warranty. (I suggest email in that it will be in writing).

Make sense?

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
On a related note, to ensure there are no hidden charges, I emailed an online retailer to ask for a "guaranteed door to door" delivery price. This goes back to my question regarding "hidden shipping costs".

I continue to wait for their reply.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
OADES just e-mailed me and said they would meet the $900 quote on the Sony5es. So JR and OADES will have you covered on everything except Denon.

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
Mike,

according to denon, only authorized dealers can send in units for the upgrade.

You can also send the unit in yourself, which is what I would do anyway. Info is on the denon website.

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Well, I've gone full circle on this... with the amount of time that my local dealer has afforded me, and the discounts on $6,000 worth of goods meaning I can purchase for about $300 less than online, I'm going with the local dealer.

Money ain't everything, plus this way (for me anyway), it's more about integrity.

Randy Prue

Stunt Coordinator
Steve K.H.:

Hi:

I'm also in Canada (near Montreal). May I ask who the dealer is that will give you prices like that (so good that Internet buying has lost its appeal)?

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Earl...
Everything is set aside at the dealer (including the money...), I'm still taping the room. Drywall dust + Electronics = Bad :D
Anyway, the SR 8200, with the Klipsch RF3-IIs, and 4 RS3-II's on the sides and rear (the rears are to be wired in series at the source, even though I've already run the cabling in the walls, so it will be 6.1 til I decide that 7.1 is worth the step up.
Leaning to the Paradigm 12" sub, but I'm going to set up the entire room first and test different ones. (Try do that online)
I REALLY like the 898 except for the missing Circle Surround that the 8200 comes with (which really blows away DPL-II) and more importantly, an inability to upgrade software. Strange that Onkyo didn't add the upgrade ability on the 898 when competitors in the 898's pricing range are including it.
---
Randy
I did the math... the best price I found online was at "reliable" for shipment to Canada. After adding shipping (yep, that's the catch on ALL online shipments), and duty, the net price on the 898 before GST was $2,220.46 Canadian (assuming no hidden C.O.D.'s as well!). That's with NO manufacturer's warranty, just their 2 year warranty. Something about an warranty held 3000 miles away (I'm in Western Canada) is less than intriguing.
Anyway, get this... I can buy the 898 locally for $2199. Get to know a dealer you can trust intimately (well maybe not intimately), and you'll want to support them. Never buy retail (unless you're an early adopter and HAVE to have the latest the first day it's released).
Caveat Emptor (sp?) Some of these clowns online have like $450 shipping charges.
:cool:

Randy Prue

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, Steve:

That's odd, about the Onkyo price. I never considered on-line purchase until the local prices on the Harman-Kardon AVR520 were so close to the retail $1,700. and someone at work said there's a guaranteed landed-at-your-door price of $1,100.

Best local price is $1,500. plus tax (comes to $1,700. again), so $600. difference. Starts to look different when there's that much difference.

That must be some nice receiver for $2,200. I am using a 12" Velodyne sub right now, and I'll be returning it for a smaller one (more responsive and more musical). Do you have a very large room?

Randy Prue

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, I had to call Canadian American Express (the Canadian office of American Express)... have you heard of the Canadian Express card? Motto is: Don't leave home.

A Canadian American Express Corporate card (she doesn't know about a Canadian blue card) does not have any price guarantee 'benefit of membership', not even in the membership rewards program (which costs extra).

So, that option is out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks